Is this a weird way to trade? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Is this a weird way to trade?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is this a weird way to trade?

Postby LightItUp95 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:17 pm

So this story goes back a couple of months. In my main league, 12 team H2H points keeper, I was looking for a pitcher when I just broke in. The commissioner, who is a really nice guy, said he'd trade me Anibal Sanchez for Chris Sale and Austin Jackson. Sale was just about to return to starting, so I thought it was overpay. However, he argued that both guys had earned around the same amount of points so far as Anibal Sanchez. I accepted the agreement thinking I got the better end of the deal anyway.

Fast forward about a month and a half later, and my team, while in a bad division, has began to sunk. Anibal's destructive cold streak lost me a week I should have easily won and now my pitching continues to underperform. Feeling desperate, I asked the guy again if he'd be willing to trade. I was targeting James McDonald, because I didn't need another ace (I have Felix, Wainwright, and Darvish), I just needed someone who I could start for some quality innings and maybe reinvigorate my team. I had a surplus of pitching that went down the drain thanks to injuries to Cashner and Pettitte. I just needed one more quality guy. I decided to offer him Starlin Castro and Yoenis Cespedes for J-Mac, Alexei Ramirez and Carl crawford (I didn't have a great SS after Castro and I figured it would be more fair if I asked for Carwford as well since it is a keeper league). However, he rejected and and told me that was overpay since McD had given him more than 300 points. He completely disregarded any value Castro had as a keeper and stated that he wouldn't even give me Castro straight up for Carwford due to the points thing. He then offered me J-Mac and Alexei for Castro AND Yu Darvish. I politely said no and broke off the trade talks. Now, he seems like a nice enough guy and even is allowing a friend of mine to join our league if a team clears out. However, I feel he ripped me off the first time with this points stuff and tried to do it again this time.

So, is this a legit way to trade? Am I wrong to avoid trading with this guy from now on? What do you guys think?
LightItUp95
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Is this a weird way to trade?

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:25 pm

I don't see the problem. The guy is trying to talk his way into a better deal. Seems very standard to me. No matter how "nice a guy he is," he's trying to help his team, not yours.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 135)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby LightItUp95 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:32 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:I don't see the problem. The guy is trying to talk his way into a better deal. Seems very standard to me. No matter how "nice a guy he is," he's trying to help his team, not yours.

No, I acknowledge the fact he's trying to get a better deal, I just find it very weird. No one else in my league does this. I've actually never seen this before.
LightItUp95
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:36 pm

In Points leagues, this is often a method used by owners to try and turn perceived value into what they want it to be amongst trade partners. The reality is that all that matters is how many points the respective players will accumulate from today forward. You have a keeper wrinkle attached to your league, as well. This owner sounds like somebody who may be difficult to deal with. They exist in every league. Nothing wrong with it. Move forward.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 817)

Postby Thursday » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:03 pm

Yeah, sorry. Nothing wrong here. Nice enough leaguemate, sure, but he IS your competition. Today, I picked up Ruggiano in a league that i didn't need an outfielder in simply to block the Stanton owner from picking him up.
Thursday
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 22)

Postby bayside » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:56 pm

LightItUp95 wrote: However, I feel he ripped me off the first time with this points stuff and tried to do it again this time.
So, is this a legit way to trade? ?

wait the other guy made a trade that improved his team, with an owner who may not have done his due diligence, and you want to know if its a "legit way to trade"?
of course this is a legit way to trade.

nobody forced either party to make the deal. he did not rip you off. some owners are just better at projecting how players will perform over the rest of the season, and know how to manipulate other less experienced and/or less knowledgeable owners.

LightItUp95 wrote: Am I wrong to avoid trading with this guy from now on? What do you guys think?

if you dont feel comfortable dealing with, or dont think you can make a trade that improves your team then by all means avoid trading with him. but i would definitely not make that decision just because you feel ripped off after the fact. i mean you even said "I accepted the agreement thinking I got the better end of the deal anyway. "
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 190)

Postby LightItUp95 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:46 am

Thursday wrote:Yeah, sorry. Nothing wrong here. Nice enough leaguemate, sure, but he IS your competition. Today, I picked up Ruggiano in a league that i didn't need an outfielder in simply to block the Stanton owner from picking him up.

I actually did the same exact thing today. No, when I said legit, i didn't mean illegal or wrong, I meant if it was a way of manioulating opponents. So is this common in points leagues? I've only played in Catergory leagues in the past so IDK.
LightItUp95
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby baseballfan89 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:23 am

Its common thing to do in any fantasy league. You gotta do whatcha gotta do right? He's trying to get maximum value out of the trade, and just because you feel you got ripped off the first time you shouldn't disregard him as a trading partner because in a league with like 12 teams you dont have alot of trading partners and the players to pick up via free agency are limited for fantasy numbers. Just don't think about him as a "nice guy" he might be the nicest guy but just think of him as an opponent when doing any trading or anything. Hope that helped a bit

Help with mine? Thanks viewtopic.php?t=450094
baseballfan89
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby clarkw267 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:13 am

I'm not even sure what's being asked here...

He talked you into doing the first trade, which obviously he won.

And now since he doesn't agree with your valuation of players, or is just asking for more than you are willing to give for the 2nd trade, you think it's a weird way to trade?

:-{
clarkw267
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 84)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions