Fading in the standings...open to suggestions - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Fading in the standings...open to suggestions

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Fading in the standings...open to suggestions

Postby oriolemagic33 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:24 pm

12-team H2H 7x7 NON-keeper

C Willin Rosario
1B Billy Butler
2B Mike Aviles
SS JJ Hardy
3B David Freese
OF Carlos Gonzalez
OF Giancarlo Stanton
OF Colby Rasmus
UTIL Ike Davis
BN Jesus Montero
BN Dee Gordon
DL Matt Kemp

SP Chris Sale
SP Madison Bumgarner
SP Wade Miley
SP Jeremy Hellickson
SP Jon Lester
SP J.A. Happ
SP Gavin Floyd
SP Tommy Milone
RP John Axford
RP Jason Motte
RP Kenley Jansen
DL Colby Lewis

I've fallen further and further back in the standings (1st to 7th) since the loss of Kemp. I need to start making up ground to get into the playoffs (top 4). What are my strengths/weaknesses, and how would you go about turning things around. Thanks, WHIR 100%
oriolemagic33
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Fading in the standings...open to suggestions

Postby jfg » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:20 am

In a 12 teamer, getting top 4 with that lineup might be difficult but not impossible. The guys who were bound to regress already have and you are loaded with a bunch of good not great players with a weakness at 2nd and starting pitching. I see a few options:

1. In a 12 team H2H, closers probably aren't at a premium but you could try trading off your closers for starters or offense and punting saves.

2. I think this would be the option I'd take with your team considering it's not a keeper league. Trade Carlos Gonzalez for Cano and a starter that's better than Happ. Carlos Gonzalez's steals are doing nothing for you, I'd bet that you lose that category ever week. Problem is, he still helps you in the other 4 cats. But, I'd move him for a guy who could really upgrade you somewhere else especially since Kemp will be back and Cano is that guy. He fits the makeup of your team perfectly.

3. Bet on Chris Sale getting shut down and try to get a top 5 2nd baseman and a 3rd tier ace for him. Even if you make the playoffs, if you have Sale, you probably aren't going to win anything if he does get shut down. I just don't think he will, so this would be my last option.

4. Get rid of Dee Gordon. You have no use for his steals. When looking at free agents, go over to baseballmonster.com and uncheck stolen bases for your league settings because you should be completely ignoring them at this point.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 95)

Postby angelsfan555 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:03 pm

I agree with the above. Try to punt the steals and saves categories if you must. I know you have some talent at closer,namely Jansen, and could definitely turn two of those guys into a decent starter or position player. With Kemp coming off the DL you can definitely afford to trade Cargo, I'd probably look for someone like Cano, but a power hitting first or third basemen could be a solid investment too. Think maybe a buy sorta low on Pujols. Also just scan the waiver wire for some pickups to help bolster your weaker positions like SS/2b.

This team has potential once Kemp comes back because your starters are solid and you have the pieces to get more depth in your hitting. I think by punting the two categories SB, which you aren't winning anyways by the looks of it, and SVs, which are only available from one position, you create an opportunity to help guaruntee you win the other categories.

Help with mine if you can.

viewtopic.php?t=450057
angelsfan555
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby oriolemagic33 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:56 pm

jfg wrote:In a 12 teamer, getting top 4 with that lineup might be difficult but not impossible. The guys who were bound to regress already have and you are loaded with a bunch of good not great players with a weakness at 2nd and starting pitching. I see a few options:

1. In a 12 team H2H, closers probably aren't at a premium but you could try trading off your closers for starters or offense and punting saves.

2. I think this would be the option I'd take with your team considering it's not a keeper league. Trade Carlos Gonzalez for Cano and a starter that's better than Happ. Carlos Gonzalez's steals are doing nothing for you, I'd bet that you lose that category ever week. Problem is, he still helps you in the other 4 cats. But, I'd move him for a guy who could really upgrade you somewhere else especially since Kemp will be back and Cano is that guy. He fits the makeup of your team perfectly.

3. Bet on Chris Sale getting shut down and try to get a top 5 2nd baseman and a 3rd tier ace for him. Even if you make the playoffs, if you have Sale, you probably aren't going to win anything if he does get shut down. I just don't think he will, so this would be my last option.

4. Get rid of Dee Gordon. You have no use for his steals. When looking at free agents, go over to baseballmonster.com and uncheck stolen bases for your league settings because you should be completely ignoring them at this point.

I was offered McCutchen and Hanson for Stanton, Sale, and Motte. I accepted. Stanton's knee worries me and I need to win now to get back into contention. I still have Axford and Jansen so losing Motte doesn't really hurt. Sale for Hanson, with the potential shutdown of Sale, was worth the upgrade of Stanton to McCutchen in my eyes. Hope it works out. Thanks for your help guys.

With my outfield being crazy good now, what kind of package would you try to make to get a SP or IF?
oriolemagic33
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby HoneyNutIchiros11 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:19 pm

That's some absolutely insane OF you have now! I'd for sure try for Verlander if you're looking to do a 1 for 1. Weaver is also very solid, looks to have come back to form without any problems since the injury.

Try for something like a Gio Gonzalez/Cole Hamels with a good infielder/catcher for Cargo or McCutchen. Personally I'd keep Kemp on your team, unless you're not sure if he'll be back to his production from earlier in the season then you could bring in a boat load for him.

Also if you haven't yet, dump Dee right now and go for something good on the WW.

Help with mine please? http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=450079
HoneyNutIchiros11
College Coach
College Coach

Postby HoneyNutIchiros11 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:22 pm

Also... I'm not too high on Montero either, I think he could be expendable as well, if there's some good pitching or a good name on the WW or in FA I'd drop him as well
HoneyNutIchiros11
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jfg » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:41 pm

I guess you gave yourself a chance to win stolen bases some weeks by getting McCutchen, but I think you're still going to lose that category more often than not. For your team, I don't know if McCutchen is that much of an upgrade over Stanton, but you do have the knee issues with Stanton so this works out I suppose. Not to nitpick, but you should have brought in more for Sale. Like I said in my post, I don't think he's going to get shutdown. You got a slight upgrade at OF (again this is considering your team, if you were average in SB, McCutchen is a huge upgrade) and a lesser pitcher.

I still think I'd trade either Cargo or the newly acquired McCutchen for Cano and another starter to replace Happ. Cano makes much more sense for your team than those two.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby oriolemagic33 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:51 pm

jfg wrote:I guess you gave yourself a chance to win stolen bases some weeks by getting McCutchen, but I think you're still going to lose that category more often than not. For your team, I don't know if McCutchen is that much of an upgrade over Stanton, but you do have the knee issues with Stanton so this works out I suppose. Not to nitpick, but you should have brought in more for Sale. Like I said in my post, I don't think he's going to get shutdown. You got a slight upgrade at OF (again this is considering your team, if you were average in SB, McCutchen is a huge upgrade) and a lesser pitcher.

I still think I'd trade either Cargo or the newly acquired McCutchen for Cano and another starter to replace Happ. Cano makes much more sense for your team than those two.

I see what you're saying. Would you give up Cargo and Miley for Votto and CJ Wilson?
oriolemagic33
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby jfg » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:29 pm

No, because you have Butler and if you are looking at just the 4 categories you need, you might as well just keep Cargo since he's pretty similar to Votto. 2nd base needs to be your target and Cano and an above average pitcher should be your goal. I would also recommend Uggla and a top tier pitcher for Cargo or McCutchen.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby jfg » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:33 pm

Another reason I say that about the Votto trade, is that I think Ike Davis is going to have a nice second half. I don't think CJ Wilson is enough of an upgrade to make that move. With two stud OF's as trade bait you can vastly improve your 2nd baseman and get Happ out of your lineup.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team