Cain for Kipnis? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Cain for Kipnis? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Cain for Kipnis? WHIR

Postby Skimo77 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:25 pm

So i'm in a standard Yahoo! 12 team mixed league with 6 keepers for each team. A manager near the bottom of the standings is looking to trade one of his SP'ers for a keeper bat. I'm thinking of offering Kipnis for Cain, not sure if he'll do it straight up or not, but I'm not sure if I want to give up Kipnis either. Here's my current roster:

C: Joe Mauer
1B: Adam Dunn
2B: Jason Kipnis
SS: Starlin Castro
3B: Edwin Encarnaceon
OF: Ryan Braun
OF: Alfonso Soriano
OF: Alex Gordon
Util: Cody Ross
Bench:
2B: Jose Altuve
1B: Adam Laroche
C: Salvador Perez
DL: Matt Kemp & Lance Berkman

Pitching:
SP: Cliff Lee
SP: Yovani Gallardo
SP: Adam Wainwright
SP: R.A. Dickey
SP: A.J. Burnett
SP: Lance Lynn
RP: Joe Nathan
RP: Kenley Jansen
RP: John Axford
RP: Alfredo Aceves
RP: Brandon Lyon

I like the idea of swapping Kipnis for Cain because i have Altuve as my backup, but I really like Kipnis as it looks as if he's emerging as a top tear 2nd basemen for the future... Yet with Cliff Lee, Adam Wainwright and Gallardo under preforming i really want another ace... what do you guys think? I'm currently in 2nd place and in the running. THANKS!
Skimo77
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Cain for Kipnis? WHIR

Postby Skimo77 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:28 pm

I hate to comment on my own post, but I'm wondering if I'm really overvaluing Kipnis, or if this would be a somewhat decent trade...

Thanks guys!
Skimo77
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby germani40 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:35 pm

I feel like you are overvaluing him. You would have to give up something else in order to get Cain. Throwing a pitcher back in his direction would help. Lynn might get it done since hes been good to this point and he is young

viewtopic.php?t=449875
Keep
C Napoli
1 Butler/Davis/Hosmer/Dunn
2 Young/Utley/Zobrist
3 Moustakas
SS Bonifacio/E Cabrera
OF Grandy/Choo/Reddick/Kubel
SP Anderson/C Lee/Oswalt
Haren/Moore/A Sanchez
RP Soriano/Myers/Johnson/Aceves/Parnell
germani40
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 98)

Postby SecretAgentMan » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:50 pm

Way over valueing the guy imo. No way you should get Cain for Kipnis in a keeper. And throwing in another mediocre SP should not really matter in a keeper. Cain is a top 4 round player, top 5-8 SP in all fantasy and only 28 years old. Kipnis has played well for 3 months and does not have anything close to that track record.

Imo, you should try to unload Mauer while you can\while he is healthy and hitting for avg (which is really all he does). One of the most overrated players in fantasy imo. 4Hrs, 36 rbis, 38 runs and 4 Sbs at the halfway mark is nothing special, even for a C and esp. for one in a 1 C league. Those numbers save for the avg can be replaced off the wire.
SecretAgentMan
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 830)

Postby Skimo77 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:02 pm

SecretAgentMan wrote:Way over valueing the guy imo. No way you should get Cain for Kipnis in a keeper. And throwing in another mediocre SP should not really matter in a keeper. Cain is a top 4 round player, top 5-8 SP in all fantasy and only 28 years old. Kipnis has played well for 3 months and does not have anything close to that track record.

Imo, you should try to unload Mauer while you can\while he is healthy and hitting for avg (which is really all he does). One of the most overrated players in fantasy imo. 4Hrs, 36 rbis, 38 runs and 4 Sbs at the halfway mark is nothing special, even for a C and esp. for one in a 1 C league. Those numbers save for the avg can be replaced off the wire.

I hear ya, but by no means would putting Mauer in that trade make it any better... I actually just acquired Mauer and Joe Nathan in a trade for Ryan Howard and Brian McCann.

If you expoliate Kipnis for the entire year he could be a .280 hitter with 25 bombs, 90 runs and rbis, and 35 sbs... out of a 2nd year 2nd basemen that's not bad. That's why I worry about trading him for a pitcher.

Any other ideas of how I could get Cain from him for anyone other than Castro, Braun or Kemp?
Skimo77
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SecretAgentMan » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:12 pm

Skimo77 wrote:
SecretAgentMan wrote:Way over valueing the guy imo. No way you should get Cain for Kipnis in a keeper. And throwing in another mediocre SP should not really matter in a keeper. Cain is a top 4 round player, top 5-8 SP in all fantasy and only 28 years old. Kipnis has played well for 3 months and does not have anything close to that track record.

I hear ya, but by no means would putting Mauer in that trade make it any better... I actually just acquired Mauer and Joe Nathan in a trade for Ryan Howard and Brian McCann.

If you expoliate Kipnis for the entire year he could be a .280 hitter with 25 bombs, 90 runs and rbis, and 35 sbs... out of a 2nd year 2nd basemen that's not bad. That's why I worry about trading him for a pitcher.

Any other ideas of how I could get Cain from him for anyone other than Castro, Braun or Kemp?

It takes something to get soemthing. Try Mauer and Cliff Lee for Cain and a lesser player\throw-in. You unload Mauer and upgrade to a younger SP keeper. If you are looking to get something for no impact to your team this year, then I think it is a non starter.
SecretAgentMan
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 830)

Postby fish72292 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:32 pm

germani40 wrote:I feel like you are overvaluing him. You would have to give up something else in order to get Cain. Throwing a pitcher back in his direction would help. Lynn might get it done since hes been good to this point and he is young

viewtopic.php?t=449875

Completely agree with him... you may be overvaluing him a bit. Its tough because he is young and not completely proven but its not gonna hurt to start with them straight up and go from there and then offer something more after.

Help with mine:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=449798
fish72292
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions