Championship roster or need to make a change? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Championship roster or need to make a change? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Championship roster or need to make a change? WHIR

Postby joeyg2323 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:36 am

hello everyone so were about halfway through the season and there's only about a month left to make trades.

I am in a 14 team mixed deep keeper league(2nd year keep 4)
This is h2h 5x5 standard cats, currently i am in 4th but only 2 games behind first(71-50-9)
there are 6 playoff spots and i am currently 10 games ahead of 7th place team. There are only 9 weeks left in the season.

ive made 5 trades so far this year trying to make a championship(mostly everyone i traded was a pick up and everyone i got back was either a closer or a good/great player)

my team
c-j.montero
1b- freeman
2b- cano
3b- alvarez/C.jones(been playing the hot bat all year and has worked pretty good)
ss- andrus
of- holliday, heyward, harper
ult- cespedes, a.soriano
b- jd martinez( would like to trade down the line for either a SP, RP or draft picks)

SP- F.Hernandez, Sale, Hanson, Lincecum, Burnett, Minor, Jurrigens(been dropping when need extra starts at the end of the week, but usually pick back up on monday)
RP- Kimbrel, Chapman, K.Jansen, Bell

DL- V.martinez(could be back for september for the fantasy playoffs, had the extra spot so might as well hold on to him just in case)
C.Carpenter(hopefully comes back in july be holding him since may, figured low risk high reward)

any advice? WHIR
"They give you a round bat and they throw you a round ball. And they tell you to hit it square."-Willie Stargell
joeyg2323
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Championship roster or need to make a change? WHIR

Postby moochieh » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:37 pm

My advice would be to not let your brave allegiance get in the way of fantasy. I like to get players on other teams to hedge my bets so to speak. Is Minor even rosterable? He had terrible stats last I saw him against the yankees. In a 14 team league, every team must have about 2 closers. You have 4, so one is expendable and you can still win Saves. Maybe package Heyward and a closer for someone that can potentially be your 4th keeper over Holliday (I see Bryce, Felix, Cano,__)

Thanks for the help, but would you accept my deal if it was Sabathia instead of Doubront?
moochieh
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby joeyg2323 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:49 pm

moochieh wrote:My advice would be to not let your brave allegiance get in the way of fantasy. I like to get players on other teams to hedge my bets so to speak. Is Minor even rosterable? He had terrible stats last I saw him against the yankees. In a 14 team league, every team must have about 2 closers. You have 4, so one is expendable and you can still win Saves. Maybe package Heyward and a closer for someone that can potentially be your 4th keeper over Holliday (I see Bryce, Felix, Cano,__)

Thanks for the help, but would you accept my deal if it was Sabathia instead of Doubront?

well the only reason i keep minor around is he k/9 rate, and with the closers a llot of teams have punted closers and traded them away so me having 4 with 2 other teams that have 5-6 and 3 others having 4 cant really let go of a closer. def not trading heyward and i have a 4th keeper instead of holliday in sale, cespedes, montero, chapman, andrus(3 of the 5 there will cost me 15th round or less not gonna trade away for another star thats gonna cost an early draft pick)

with your deal i would def do it with CC in the deal.
"They give you a round bat and they throw you a round ball. And they tell you to hit it square."-Willie Stargell
joeyg2323
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby sclyon3 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:48 pm

I like your squad; they look good. I agree that Minor is a lost cause, but as a Braves fan you surely know more about him than I do. Other than that, I like what you got going on. I'm glad you decided against that do-or-die deal you were entertaining last week.

When is your trade deadline? You could always hang tight and then make a move later if there's time.
sclyon3
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby joeyg2323 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:53 pm

sclyon3 wrote:I like your squad; they look good. I agree that Minor is a lost cause, but as a Braves fan you surely know more about him than I do. Other than that, I like what you got going on. I'm glad you decided against that do-or-die deal you were entertaining last week.

When is your trade deadline? You could always hang tight and then make a move later if there's time.

aug 5th...yea i didnt do the trade mainly cause of losing montero i ended up getting holliday, bell, and burnett for 1st and 2nd and scrub players. (1st and 2nd pick is idealy the value of a 3rd and 4th because of cano and felix prolly being keepers)
joeyg2323
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby LightItUp95 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:58 pm

joeyg2323 wrote:hello everyone so were about halfway through the season and there's only about a month left to make trades.

I am in a 14 team mixed deep keeper league(2nd year keep 4)
This is h2h 5x5 standard cats, currently i am in 4th but only 2 games behind first(71-50-9)
there are 6 playoff spots and i am currently 10 games ahead of 7th place team. There are only 9 weeks left in the season.

ive made 5 trades so far this year trying to make a championship(mostly everyone i traded was a pick up and everyone i got back was either a closer or a good/great player)

my team
c-j.montero
1b- freeman
2b- cano
3b- alvarez/C.jones(been playing the hot bat all year and has worked pretty good)
ss- andrus
of- holliday, heyward, harper
ult- cespedes, a.soriano
b- jd martinez( would like to trade down the line for either a SP, RP or draft picks)

SP- F.Hernandez, Sale, Hanson, Lincecum, Burnett, Minor, Jurrigens(been dropping when need extra starts at the end of the week, but usually pick back up on monday)
RP- Kimbrel, Chapman, K.Jansen, Bell

DL- V.martinez(could be back for september for the fantasy playoffs, had the extra spot so might as well hold on to him just in case)
C.Carpenter(hopefully comes back in july be holding him since may, figured low risk high reward)

any advice? WHIR

A couple of things:

- If you're looking for a championship, I'd actually try to deal Chris Sale while his value is high. Deal as close to the deadline as you can so you can squeeze every last bit of precious innings out of him. He's supposedly getting shut down in September, which, IMO, would pretty much lose you the championship. Try packaging him and JD (Or even Bell) for a more reliable guy, a guy who isn't getting shut down in September. Aim high and target struggling teams who are rebuilding or have no chance to make the playoffs, since it is a keeper, Sale's value is elevated to those teams who are looking toward next year.

-Your closers are spectacular, that's about 300 extra Ks there. Yummy :P. With that said, Bell is expendable unless you REALLY need saves. He's easily replaceable, since guys like Andrew Bailey (Who's back very soon) and Tom Wilhelmsen should be fairly available. Use him and Holliday (I don't believe for one moment that he's entirely healthy down the stretch) to upgrade in the OF. Maybe try for Mark Trumbo, since he could be your last keeper and seems to be mashing the %$^# out of the baseball (Going off Player Rater values here, he's actually more valuable than Holliday). Again, he might not be the best, but just anyone who will be an offense upgrade and will stay healthy. I'm not a Holliday believer. You may be, I just don't trust him

- I'd drop both Minor and Jurrjens. Jurrjens isn't striking out anyone, and that usuallly leads to bad things. You don't want that down the stretch. Minor is awful. I know you are a Braves fan, but real life allegiance can be detrimental to your team in fantasy. On my main 12 team H2H points league team, I have no Yankees despite being a ravid fan of the bombers. I'm not saying you should always do that, but don't let it take you over. Anyway, I'd use one of the tow spots to pick up a high upside guy - Andrew Cashner, Trevor Bauer, Danny Hultzen, etc. A playoff run in fantasy can often be sparked by catching lightning in a bottle and riding it to the bank. Some of these guys may be shut down, but they will give you a nice boost for the playoffs and make sure you get in. The last spot should be used for streaming starts or adding a two-start starter. These can often give you the necessary boost to win weeks, since they help you stockpile wins and Ks.

-Offense looks fine. again, I don't trust Holliday, but whatever. Noramlly I don't like Montero either, but since it isn't a points league, I'm fine with it.

Overall, you look to be heading in the right direction. Here's mine. I'm in the same situation, so please, help!

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=448778
LightItUp95
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby TruYankeeFan » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:00 am

I agree with the above poster and could not have said it better...

Your thoughts on my team?
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=450144
trade help needed

viewtopic.php?t=470923
TruYankeeFan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 53)

Postby paperstacks1980 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:06 pm

I would try to improve the infield a little bit.
paperstacks1980
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team