Keeper League - Build for next year or make a playoff push? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Keeper League - Build for next year or make a playoff push?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Keeper League - Build for next year or make a playoff push?

Postby CGHitman14 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:31 am

I'm in a tough spot.

We're in a 10 team keeper league, H2H points. 2 Divisions. 4 teams make the playoffs. 2 wild cards, 2 division winners.
This is our 7th year of the league. I'm 6/6 in playoff appearances. I'm having a hard time deciding to let go because of my streak. Also, because I feel my team has drastically underperformed, and I still have a chance.

We have 11 games to play. I'm 4-8. My division leader is only 6-6 but has me smashed in the tiebreaker (points) so I'm essentially 3 games behind him. Wild cards are 8-4 and 7-5, so I'm quite a few games back on them too. Trade deadline is in 3 weeks.

We keep up to 5 players. 4 players you keep take away your 1-4 rd picks in next years draft. Then you also get 1 player where he was drafted that year. We also have some special keeper rules on minor leaguers and rookies.

Right now my keepers would likely be Verlander, Weaver, Adrian, Hanley.

The type of trade bait I have to help out other teams for this year and possibly improve my keepers or acquire draft picks would be:

P: Lincecum, Latos, Jimenez, Wainwright, Hammel, Oswalt, Cueto, Beckett, Kuroda, Nolasco
B: Melky (could keep in 17th), Ethier, Kipnis

I could list more bats, but I know that in my league teams are looking for SP help, and that's where I thrive.

So what's the verdict? Take the amazing depth I have at SP, improve keepers and load up on picks for next year, or wait it out and try to make a push this year?
CGHitman14
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Keeper League - Build for next year or make a playoff pu

Postby moochieh » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:47 am

Can you keep Kipnis late? Does Melky retain his 17th round keeper status if you trade him to someone else?

I would see myself holding tight for two more weeks and then working my butt off trying to trade if I don't win the next two weeks. Melky is only a valuable keeper if he's in the 17th, so if the answer to both my questions is yes, I would think he is a very valuable trade asset because you def want Kipnis late. Don't jump the gun on selling if you still think you have a shot. Revisit in 2 weeks.

Please help here: http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/produ ... d=12686015
moochieh
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby joeyg2323 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:48 am

i say go for it! you still have a 11 games and really are only back 3 and 4 games from a playoff spot.

from the look at your pitchers seems to they started slow, but now with lince, oswalt, wainwright, latos pitching better then the start of the season i think you could have a real shot.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=449887&p=3543628#p3543628
"They give you a round bat and they throw you a round ball. And they tell you to hit it square."-Willie Stargell
joeyg2323
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 16)

Postby CGHitman14 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:58 pm

moochieh wrote:Can you keep Kipnis late? Does Melky retain his 17th round keeper status if you trade him to someone else?

I would see myself holding tight for two more weeks and then working my butt off trying to trade if I don't win the next two weeks. Melky is only a valuable keeper if he's in the 17th, so if the answer to both my questions is yes, I would think he is a very valuable trade asset because you def want Kipnis late. Don't jump the gun on selling if you still think you have a shot. Revisit in 2 weeks.

Please help here: http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/produ ... d=12686015

Melky will retain his 17th round keeper eligibility through trade. Unless someone is dropped and becomes a FA, they retain where they were drafted through all trades.

As for Kipnis, he was undrafted and was a FA pickup. Those types of players are 10th round eligible if you'd like to keep them as the 5th keeper.
CGHitman14
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby MadDog36 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:28 am

Definitely go for Kipnis for sure if you can get him cheaply.
If you can deal a Wano for him I'd jump all over that QUICKLY.
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 2092)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions