It's July (Trade deadline thread) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

It's July (Trade deadline thread)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

It's July (Trade deadline thread)

Postby lastingsgriller » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:05 am

My twitter feed is suggesting that for the right price Justin upton may be on the block. Anybody else hear anything on this?
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 167)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: It's July (Trade deadline thread)

Postby Rally Cat » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:21 am

This from MLB trade rumors this morning but I read it yesterday as well.

D'Backs Could Consider Offers For Justin Upton

Posted: 06 Jul 2012 05:26 PM PDT

7:23pm: Rosenthal tweets that the teams on Upton's limited no-trade clause are unknown. He was able to block deals to the Royals, Tigers, Athletics, and Mariners back in 2010 but the list has since changed.

6:59pm: The Diamondbacks are currently 39-43 and seven games out in the NL West, and Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports that they would consider trade offers from Justin Upton if they fall further out of contention. They will target a third baseman if they instead move closer to contention.

Rosenthal says GM Kevin Towers is open to any type of deal, meaning they could buy, sell, or make a veteran-for-veteran swap that helps now. Upton has been involved in trade rumors before, specifically during the 2010-2011 offseason. The 24-year-old has hit just .266/.348/.378 with seven homers this year after placing fourth in the MVP voting last season. He's under contract through 2015 for approximately $41.9MM and is the type of player that will draw interest from every other team in the league if available.
Rally Cat
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:51 am

O's apparently going hard after Greinke. I think it was be a big mistake to give up Bundy or Machado, but otherwise, I'd be thrilled.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orio ... 2453.story

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby benb18a » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:44 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:O's apparently going hard after Greinke. I think it was be a big mistake to give up Bundy or Machado, but otherwise, I'd be thrilled.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orio ... 2453.story

me gusta
1B: Freeman 2B: Craig 3B: Beltre SS: Seager C: Lucroy OF: Granderson, Harper, BJ Up UT: Kipnis, Aoki
BN: Howard, Rizzo, Donaldson
DL: Tulo
Peavy Sale, Valverde, Axford, Greinke, Marcum, Estrada, Capuano, Hughes, Haren

Public Yahoo league 130-67-13 winrar
benb18a
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Bravos of Steel » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:14 pm

Oh wow. Upton to the Bucs?

Per Rotoworld:

Jon Morosi of FOXSports.com reports that the Pirates have had preliminary trade discussions with the Diamondbacks involving Justin Upton and with the Padres involving Carlos Quentin.
Morosi says Arizona and San Diego have been scouting Pittsburgh’s minor-league affiliates in recent days. Upton is having a disappointing year, batting just .267/.349/.386 for the D'Backs, but he would be a huge addition to a Pirates lineup that's very much in need of one despite a recent offensive surge. He would cost much more in prospects than Quentin, who has batted .273/.403/.527 with seven homers in 32 games since coming back from the disabled list.
Beautiful, Beautiful Family Guy

Lois: You're drunk again.
Peter: No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking.
Bravos of Steel
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:51 pm

that'd be pretty cool for the pirates, a reverse bonds. i would give up literally any 10 players the dbacks wanted from our minors system for upton.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby benb18a » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:13 pm

Good. Hopefully they jettison the whole farm. Better for the Crew for the next decade ;-D
1B: Freeman 2B: Craig 3B: Beltre SS: Seager C: Lucroy OF: Granderson, Harper, BJ Up UT: Kipnis, Aoki
BN: Howard, Rizzo, Donaldson
DL: Tulo
Peavy Sale, Valverde, Axford, Greinke, Marcum, Estrada, Capuano, Hughes, Haren

Public Yahoo league 130-67-13 winrar
benb18a
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SpecialFNK » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:23 pm

what are some names that would go to the DBacks if this was to happen? OF prospect Starling Marte?

I feel surprised the DBacks are even considering trading Upton. how old is Justin Upton you ask? ..he is only 25 years old. it can't be a money issue, he's not making that much for what his numbers should be. 12- $6.75 MIL. 13- $9.75 MIL. 14- $14.25 MIL. 15- $14.5 MIL.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 91)

Postby Grounded Polo » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:22 pm

I'd assume Taillon or Cole, why would they trade J-Up for Marte? Of course, Arizona putting up a 24 year old who has put up great seasons and is supposed to be a generational type player is a huge red flag, especially when he's been mentioned in trade rumors before.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 10)

Postby SpecialFNK » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:36 pm

I'm not saying just Marte, just wondering if Marte would be one of the names going to Arizona.
with Upton the Pirates would have 2 OF spots locked up with Upton and McCutchen. that would leave 1 OF spot left. the Pirates have other options for the OF than Marte if Marte was not someone traded. right now Alex Presley could be good enough, and he is their current leadoff hitter. well other than being injured right now, but he will be back after the break.
if Marte was to go to Arizona I wonder what they do with him. let him spend the rest of the season in the minors going with Parra/Young/Kubel in the OF, or call up Marte and let him play. I'm in a 16 team keeper league currently stashing Marte hoping he can get a chance to shine/play in the 2nd half.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 91)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers