Drop Montero for Grandal? (WHIR) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Drop Montero for Grandal? (WHIR)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Drop Montero for Grandal? (WHIR)

Postby nyr199435 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:35 pm

Batters:
1B: 1 point
2B: 2
3B: 3
HR: 4
RBI: 1
SB: 2
CS: -2
BB: 1
IBB: 1
K: -1
GDIP: -4
CYC: 4
SLAM: 5

Pitchers:
IP: 1
W: 7
L: -7
CG: 4.5
SHO: 9
SV: 7
ER: -1
BB: -1
IBB: -1
K: 0.5
HLD: 4
NH: 18
PG: 27
QS: 3.5
BSV: -7

Been hanging on to Montero since draft day waiting for him to turn it around in case Posey ever got hurt. He hasn't done much yet. Meanwhile, in Grandal's first game he cracks two homers. Is it time to drop Montero? Is there somebody else that should go?

Team/league info below. Thanks!!

12 teams
H2H Points
1 year

C: Buster Posey
1B: Mark Teixeira
2B: Robinson Cano
3B: David Wright
SS: Starlin Castro
OF: Mike Trout
OF: Bryce Harper
OF: Nelson Cruz
Util: Ryan Zimmerman
BN: Corey Hart, Anthony Rizzo, Jesus Montero

SP: Justin Verlander, Matt Moore, Adam Wainwright, Tim Lincecum, Johan Santana, Josh Johnson, Phil Hughes, Roy Oswalt, Trevor Bauer, Andrew Cashner
RP: Jonathan Broxton, Addison Reed, Ryan Cook
nyr199435
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Drop Montero for Grandal? (WHIR)

Postby MaudDib » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:39 pm

I still prefer Montero. If anything I would drop Montero for something more useful rather than another rookie catcher who will likely struggle as well.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 369)

Postby fish72292 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:41 pm

MaudDib wrote:I still prefer Montero. If anything I would drop Montero for something more useful rather than another rookie catcher who will likely struggle as well.

100% agreed. Drop him for something other then another catch... you do not need another catcher but that depends on whos on your free agency. Rather have Montero over Grandal though.

help with mine:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=449838
fish72292
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Deleted

Postby METS 24 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:10 pm

Deleted
Last edited by METS 24 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
C-W.Rosario
1B-A.Gonzalez
2B-J.Kipnis
3B-R.Zimmerman
SS-T.Tulowitzki
MI-J.Altuve
CI-J.Singleton
OF-J.Heyward/G.Polanco/B.Gardner/C.Dickerson/J.Lake
DH-J.Segura
SP-J.Weaver/H.Ryu/G.Cole/Y.Ventura/T.Bauer
BN-Baez/Buchholz/Butler/Mauer/Pineda/Taveras
METS 24
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 43)

Postby whet0003 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:13 pm

I have both rostered and am struggling who to start today.

Jesus seems to be consistently mediocre, but there is hope that as he matures, he can turn it around. Teams have better scouting reports on him now and are exploiting his batting weaknesses. He has struck out 24 times, while only walking 2 times in June. Compare that with 23-10 in May. If he can adjust and turn that around, then there is a great hope that the power will return. He is only 22, after all. More troubling though is his right-lefty splits. He is batting only .209 vs. righties. Since the league has more RH than LH pitchers, the outlook is a bit bleak. he is also ..24 at home vs. .279 away, so there may be a bit of a penalty for playing in Seattle. given that the month of June was spent at home and 9 games away at pitchers parks (LAD, SD, OAK), that might be greatly screwing June results.

On the other hand, Grandal has insufficient stats to determine how he will fare against MLB pitching once teams get accurate scouting reports on him. If his PCL record is any indicator, he wlaked more than he struck out, which is highly unusual for anyone. This is evidence that he has great plate discipline and should adjust to MLB level pitching. However, Grandal doesn't have the same power that Jesus has. So, I suspect that in Grandal, we have a batter that will have a high average and not much power.

consider Montero's minor league HR totals in 2008- 2011 (17, 17, 21, 18) and SLG (.491, .562, .517, .467) vs Grandal 2011 totals (only full year in the minors) HR-SLG (14 and .500). Clearly Montero has more power potential and more experience. Montero has less downside. Grandal has some growing pains to work through and his upside is really unknown.

So, I would not drop Montero for Grandal, if you have a bench spot to hold onto Grandal, he might be worth having on a roster, perhaps starting Grandal in days/weeks that Montero is facing mostly RHP. at least until Montero can make adjustments and get his AVG against RHP back where it needs to be.
whet0003
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions