A question for guys who run leagues in Yahoo... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

A question for guys who run leagues in Yahoo...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

A question for guys who run leagues in Yahoo...

Postby Wee-Bey Brice » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:56 am

This is kind of longwinded so sorry in advance, but I'd appreciate any help you guys could give me.

The league I'm in finally allowed the trading of draft picks a couple years ago. But for whatever reason our Commish didn't want to turn it on as an option through the league. To make it work, I would have to trade the player I was giving up for the pick, for the guy the other person was going to drop, and then subsequently drop him myself. Which would only be an inconvenience if there wasn't a max transaction limit. So the trade, the drop, and the pick-up to replace the player traded would total me 3 transactions against the limit of 35. This year though it was turned on.

In my league we keep 10, and the roster size is 25. All 25 rounds are available to be traded despite the fact that after the keepers are accounted for there is really only 15 rounds. What I mean to say is, the first ten rounds aren't listed in grey or have something akin to a no-drop icon indicating they can't be traded since it is a 10 keeper league.

My questions (I know, FINALLY)

-If I propose a trade for someone's 5th round pick, and we use the actual Yahoo draft window next season, is that going to screw things up and suddenly have me drafting in the 5th round when everyone is still just picking up their keepers?

-If the keepers are entered by the commissioner prior to the draft will that pick automatically change to a 15th rounder?

-Is there something the commissioner needs to do via his league tools/controls to sort all of this out?

Again, sorry for typing a novel.
Wee-Bey Brice
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: A question for guys who run leagues in Yahoo...

Postby bigmck » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:25 pm

A guy on here Fantasy Baseball Genie works for Yahoo. If he is not on here soon, send him a private message. He will give you the best answer.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 59)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:08 pm

Okay. I think I've digested what you're asking. If so, here is the answer.

The trading of draft picks doesn't work without some measure of commish involvement. It can't, really, since every league tends to do things their own way. But I'll try to give you a peek into how this works from the commissioner's point of view.

- You guys trade picks this year. We keep track of who has which picks for the following year, which you can see within the app and any time you are looking to make another trade
- Next season starts. There are certain conditions that make it impossible for the commish to use those traded picks. Suppose you collapse your rosters from 26 to 23, and someone traded a 24th round pick. Oops. Suppose you traded picks with me, but then my team isn't brought back into the league next year. Oops. And so on. Let's assume things go as they should, and none of these conditions preclude using the traded picks.
- There is a custom draft order tool the commish can use. The first thing the commish has to do is to tell us what "base" draft order to use for each round, and whether to snake or not from round to round. If you had traded picks from the previous season, the commish is given the option to apply those to the base order. So maybe he says that you pick 4th in every round, and I pick 1st in every round. But we see that you traded your 3rd round pick to me, and got back my 12th round pick in return. We lay out a starting point for the draft order that has me picking 1st in every round except the 12th (where you pick first), and you have the 4th pick in every round except the 3rd, because I have that pick via the trade. So far so good?
- Suppose you have keepers. The commissioner then has to tell us how to incorporate those keepers into the draft order. Historically, he has had to manually slot those keepers into individual picks. This is a pain, but gives him all the flexibility in the world to do things however your league does things. As of this season, we have tools to give support for declaring keepers within the game itself. If your league uses those, we can give the commish additional help. If you guys do this, then the commish gets a few ready-made options like, "I want to slot the keepers into the last picks for each team", "I want to slot the keepers into the first picks for each team", or "It's complicated. You better just let me slot each keeper individually into an appropriate pick." That third option is the only option you get when we weren't involved in the naming of the keepers.

Hopefully that made sense. Our general philosophy in developing keeper tools has been to make them very flexible to support the million different ways that keeper leagues run, and over time to build layers on top that will make things easier for commissioners that happen to follow some well-known recurring patterns.

Hope this helps...
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 56)

Postby Wee-Bey Brice » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:05 pm

Awesome, thank you for your help. And if I could just make one suggestion to improve Yahoo's game regarding the trading of draft picks it would be this:

For it to be possible to just trade a player for a pick or picks. Obviously you can't draft 29 players for a 25 man roster, so if someone trades for an extra 1st round pick, just remove their 25th round pick automatically. If they add another pick, remove their 24th round pick and so on.

Or is it one of those things where there is a good reason you can't do it, and I'm just not seeing it?
Wee-Bey Brice
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby FantasySportsMaven » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:16 pm

sticking my nose in here but I am wondering if the OPs original question got answered... or if I understood what his question was?

I understood that he was asking if in a 10 player keeper league, with 25 total roster spots, the first 10 draft picks were null and essentially the draft started at round 11... or, if the draft starts at round 1 and the rounds 16-25 are null?

Even if that is not his question, I'm curious as to how it works on Yahoo. Thanks!
FantasySportsMaven
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Wee-Bey Brice » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:51 pm

FantasySportsMaven wrote:sticking my nose in here but I am wondering if the OPs original question got answered... or if I understood what his question was?

I understood that he was asking if in a 10 player keeper league, with 25 total roster spots, the first 10 draft picks were null and essentially the draft started at round 11... or, if the draft starts at round 1 and the rounds 16-25 are null?

Even if that is not his question, I'm curious as to how it works on Yahoo. Thanks!

Pretty much that. When we drafted this year our 10 keepers were listed as our first ten picks right off the bat, with the "first round" of available players starting in round 11. I was afraid if I traded for an 11th round pick in 2013 (i.e. a "first rounder") since Yahoo showed the first 10 rounds as available to be traded, that after Yahoo recognized the keepers, that it would get bumped down 10 rounds to a 21st pick.

Pretty much what I took away from it was that Yahoo allows the trading of draft picks, but more just to record who has what picks because the commissioner has to input the specifics come draft time. Which is fine by me, I just didn't want to trade for a pick and for their to be no control over it by the commissioner after that.
Wee-Bey Brice
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:34 pm

We make the commissioner tell us where to put the keepers because there is no right answer. Maybe they are supposed to go in the place of the first picks, maybe they are supposed to go in the place of the last picks, and maybe they are supposed to be scattered all over the draft in lieu of the picks where the guys were taken the previous year (for example). We offer tools to make the first two scenarios easier for the commish, but there isn't any way we can "just do it" without ruining everything for lots of leagues.

re: trading a player for a pick
We did have discussion. In the end we decided that it wasn't a big hardship to assume equal numbers of picks had to go back and forth, and it cleared up a lot of confusing situations. Your league has 27 many rosters. Suppose we don't enforce the equal picks thing, and now some team has 35 picks and another has 15 picks etc. etc. We're going to get tons of customer care calls from the teams with 15 wondering why they couldn't finish their team, or the team with 35 wondering what happened, and if we try to automatically fix it, we're going to fix it in ways some leagues won't like. Instead, when you try to trade ARod for a 1st, we just make you include your last pick if you're so inclined. There were advocates here at Yahoo! saying that in that case we should just automatically add your last pick to the trade, and the conclusion was, "If we start putting picks into a trade that the user didn't explicitly ask to do, that's also going to confuse people (even if it is a good idea and necessary), and lead to a bunch of customer care volume.

Since we launched the trading of draft picks, this is literally the first concern I've heard in response to us requiring equal numbers of picks in each direction. And if it wasn't clear, you can trade Player + Pick for Pick. You can also do Pick for Pick, though that is a bit weird.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 56)

Return to Commissioner's Corner