Starting Pitcher Dilemma - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Who to Start/Bench

Starting Pitcher Dilemma

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Starting Pitcher Dilemma

Postby exposrule » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:46 am

Okay, so I'm in a 10-team roto league, currently am first in wins but my lead is really starting to slip as I've been playing an extra reliever the past month to rack up saves. I'm thinking of putting back in 5 starters next week to get a little more comfortable lead in W's hopefully as well as regain the lead in K's. Here's my rotation as follows:

SP- Strasburg
SP- Cole Hamels
RP- Jason Motte
RP- Rafael Betancourt
P- Jered Weaver
P- Vance Worley
P- Addison Reed
Bench- Yu Darvish
Bench- Doug Fister
Bench- Trevor Bauer
DL- Roy Halladay

So basically I want to replace Reed next week with either Bauer, Darvish, or Fister (although I may slot Reed in at RP for Betancourt). I'm just having trouble figuring out if I should put in Darvish, who might be the safest option but only gets one start and has been struggling recently. Or I could put in Fister, who double starts, but he also has been struggling recently. Or I could take a shot in the dark with Bauer, who double starts at home against weak teams, but hasn't pitched enough yet for me to know what the heck he could do. Any thoughts? Currently I'm leaning towards taking the risk on Bauer, although his walks may make my WHIP take a hit. I can't wait for Halladay to get back so I don't have this problem anymore, lol.
exposrule
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Starting Pitcher Dilemma

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:28 am

Fister vsMIN and vsKC is an excellent 2-start week. I would certainly get him in my lineup. Darvish vsMIN is an excellent 1-start matchup for a week. Bauer vsSD and vsLAD is definitely the best 2-start matchup of the group, but with him only getting through 4 IP in his first start along with rumored groin soreness, I think you have to leave him on the bench, and if he pitches excellent, just be happy he's looking like you hope and that you can start him in the future with more confidence.

I think your best move is to slot Fister in for next week. He hasn't really 'struggled' recently as much as he had one bad start @TEX. He has 2 favorable matchups, and should have opportunity to win both those games. Good luck.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 357)

Re: Starting Pitcher Dilemma

Postby exposrule » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:42 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Fister vsMIN and vsKC is an excellent 2-start week. I would certainly get him in my lineup. Darvish vsMIN is an excellent 1-start matchup for a week. Bauer vsSD and vsLAD is definitely the best 2-start matchup of the group, but with him only getting through 4 IP in his first start along with rumored groin soreness, I think you have to leave him on the bench, and if he pitches excellent, just be happy he's looking like you hope and that you can start him in the future with more confidence.

I think your best move is to slot Fister in for next week. He hasn't really 'struggled' recently as much as he had one bad start @TEX. He has 2 favorable matchups, and should have opportunity to win both those games. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice, I think you're right, it looks like Fister would be the best option this week.
exposrule
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Who to Start/Bench