Deep League Trade Help - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Deep League Trade Help

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Deep League Trade Help

Postby heathweston » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:54 am

A manager and I have been going back and forth on a deal, and for some reason, I'm not sure where to take it. I think we're both committed to getting something done, we just need to figure out a launching point. Anyways, this is the current deal on the table:

I Get: Tyler Clippard/Kevin Youkilis/Raul Ibanez/Matt Carpenter
I Give: Pablo Sandoval/Austin Jackson

I'm in need of a closer, but am feeling that I'm overpaying here. I wouldn't mind acquiring a closer, but every time I try and put together a new deal, I can't come up with a way to even it (at least to do so with Pablo and Austin going to him).

It's a 20 Team Roto League, 5x5

Here are his players:
Hitters: Saltalamacchia, Youkilis, Phillips, Beltre, H. Ramirez, Pena, Lowrie, Ibanez, Beltran, Bixler, Torres, Abreu, Prado, Ellis, DeJesus, Carpenter, Nunez, Gyorko, Cain
Pitching: McDonald, Shields, Liriano, Jo. Johnson, Niese, Masterson, Friedrich, Hultzen, Clippard, Wilhelmsen, Myers, Farnsworth, H. Rodriguez, W. Lopez

And here is my team:

C Jesus Montero
1B Albert Pujols
2B Gordon Beckham
3B Pablo Sandoval
SS Elvis Andrus
CI Daniel Murphy
MI Jose Altuve
OF Austin Jackson
OF Jon Jay
OF Seth Smith
OF Chris Young
Util Daniel Nava
Bench Geovany Soto, Chris Carter, Brenden Ryan, Justin Maxwell, Nick Markakis
DL Scott Podsednik, Brent Morel

SP Yovani Gallardo, Trevor Cahill, Ricky Romero, Joe Blanton, Paul Maholm, Brett Cecil, Jerome Williams, Vin Mazzaro
RP Casey Janssen, Charlie Furbush, Phil Coke, Nate Jones, Jake McGee
DL Drew Storen

Is a deal possible to be made or are we so far off that there's no real point in trying?

Thanks in advance.
heathweston
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Deep League Trade Help

Postby NikkiSixx » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:08 am

Hmmm, its tough, but I do like Clippard for the rest of the year and I do think Youk has a littler resurgence in Chicago. I would probably do this because you need the saves.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 429)

Postby NikkiSixx » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:09 am

Its tough for me to answer because I'm not the biggest Austin Jackson or Pablo Sandoval fan. I guess it depends on how you value those 2 players...
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 429)

Postby heathweston » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:38 am

Yeah, I'm debating if it's worth it to sell the two for a closer to give me help in saves, or if I should try and get something more out of the deal from him.

We did have a deal on the table earlier that included his Salty and my Montero though I didn't want to take on Salty's average. That's the only thing I think that's holding me up, is the AVG drop off from my two to the three I'm picking up...
heathweston
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby curtk » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:31 pm

Thanks for the help with mine.

I think you're overpaying. As much as I like Clippard, he's in a bit of an iffy situation. Since he's your main attraction, and has a higher than average risk of losing his position as closer, I don't think I'd do this. In a past year, Youkilis and Sandoval might have been about a wash, but this year, Youkilis is much more risky. So now the second part of this deal also carries more risk for you.

I just realized that you have Storen on the DL, so that minimizes your risk with Clippard. However, you're basically just getting insurance that you'll end up with the Nats closer.

I've always though Youkilis was highly overrated in Fantasy, given his lack of power at a corner position. Sandoval's no big power threat, either, though. And Youkilis supposedly has a chip on his shoulder and wants to show the Red Sox just how great he really is. Who knows?

How much do you believe in Jackson? He looks like he'll be a 20/20 OF who hits over .300 this year. That may be the biggest reason to nix this deal. He's only 25 and has tons of potential...

Personally, I wouldn't do this. I think you're giving up the best player and getting a bunch of, well, not junk, but not value, either. If this team is the best chance you have to get your closer, I'd try to make a deal with him for just Clippard and Youkilis for Sandoval and a lesser player.
12 Team, H2H, Daily
C: J. Montero
1B: Morse, Hosmer
2B: Kipnis, Hill
3B: Bautista
SS: Plouffe
OF: McCutchen, Harper, Reddick, Crisp
SP: Weaver, Cain, Gio Gonzalez, Gallardo, Cueto, Gee
RP: R. Soriano, Clippard, Frieri, Janssen
DL: Ellsbury, Gardner
curtk
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby fish72292 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:02 pm

I agree with the last post. You are giving up way too much and I personally think you can get saves in a cheaper way. Giving up the two best players in the trade is never a good thing. Try a bit smaller deal with like a two for one for is Clippard if you really want those saves. I think you could use the SP help rather then RP help in my own opinion... but it is a very deep league so that is hard to come by.

help with mine:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=449812
fish72292
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby heathweston » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:58 am

I threw the idea of Pablo for Youk/Clippard and he said he isn't inclined to do a 2-for-1 in case Youk bounces back and then he would have lost out. I never did try adding a second guy to make it a 2 for 2...any ideas on who I could add?

I'm thinking Jackson is one I should hold onto, especially with my current OF. Pablo, at least I can (hopefully) augment it with Youkilis.
heathweston
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby heathweston » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:41 pm

Would something like Sandoval/Podsednik for Clippard/Youkilis make sense?

I could also try and wrangle someone like Carlos Pena instead of Youkilis, if I gave a different second player.
heathweston
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions