This Trade for Lance Lynn or Wade Miley, or neither? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

This Trade for Lance Lynn or Wade Miley, or neither?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

This Trade for Lance Lynn or Wade Miley, or neither?

Postby FantasySportsMaven » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:14 pm

Dynasty Points League scoring just about everything. YTD Player Points in parenthesis below.

I am looking to deal Ricky Romero(165) AND Dan Uggla(190) for either Lance Lynn(258) OR Wade Miley(257).

Stephen Drew would replace Uggla in my hitting lineup if I trade him.

Which one of these guys is better than the other: Lance Lynn, STL or Wade Miley, AZ?
and
Should I do the trade at all?

Additionally, I could include Drew in the deal and ask for his Everth Cabrera or Dee Gordon along with either Lynn or Miley?

What do you think?
Last edited by FantasySportsMaven on Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FantasySportsMaven
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Re: This Trade for Lance Lynn or Wade Miley, or neither? WHI

Postby Pancake Panda » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:18 pm

I would take Miley over Lynn in this trade. He has been great for me. He is also a little underrated, so you might be able to get him for cheaper. I would hang on to Drew as well.
Pancake Panda
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rjforlife » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:30 pm

It's a definite NO for Lynn. He is already losing velocity, and despite the problems with STL's rotation, there is talk here of them starting to limit Lynn's innings. Miley is a slightly better option, but Uggla alone is more valuable than Miley. It would be nice to get rid of that bum Romero, but this isn't a good enough pitching upgrade to warrant unloading Uggla.

Help:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=449712
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 740)

Postby FantasySportsMaven » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:17 pm

rjforlife wrote:It's a definite NO for Lynn. He is already losing velocity, and despite the problems with STL's rotation, there is talk here of them starting to limit Lynn's innings. Miley is a slightly better option, but Uggla alone is more valuable than Miley. It would be nice to get rid of that bum Romero, but this isn't a good enough pitching upgrade to warrant unloading Uggla.

The thing that degrades Uggla value is our point scoring system. K=-1, H=1, BB=1, E=-2, SB=1, R=1, RBI=1, Doubles=2, Triples=3, HR=4. So, unless Uggla starts to hit some HRs again, his K's offset most of his other positive points for Hits and BBs.

As you can see from my original post, Uggla has only 160 pts YTD while both Lynn and Wiley have 260 pts YTD. Uggla is at -4 for the week and Romero just laid a big crappy -22 for my weekly H2H points matchup. Unless Uggla starts to hit some HRs, I can probably beat his output by streaming FA 2Bs and SSs like Theriot when they get hot. Or, like I said, I can just play Drew now that he is off the DL.

Thanks again for your help!
FantasySportsMaven
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rjforlife » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:21 pm

Uggla is cold now, but he gets hot and starts hitting quite a few HR. His runs should also go up in that lineup, and his hits might go up as he gets hot. Like I said, it's not a terrible deal, I just think you are selling Uggla at his low, and buying Miley at his high.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 740)

Postby FantasySportsMaven » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:40 pm

rjforlife wrote:Uggla is cold now, but he gets hot and starts hitting quite a few HR. His runs should also go up in that lineup, and his hits might go up as he gets hot. Like I said, it's not a terrible deal, I just think you are selling Uggla at his low, and buying Miley at his high.

I see your point... but one more factor to consider is that this is a Dynasty league and Uggla is 32 yrs old while both Miley and Lynn are 25. Uggla has been so bad this year that I am starting to wonder if he is done for good?

Although in this league a point is a point no matter how you get it, it seems the top teams do it with good SPs and decent hitters. My team was partially autodrafted and I ended up loaded with hitters and SP poor.
Here are my current SPs along with their YTD pts: Colby Lewis(on DL-233), Niese(207), Romero(165), Happ(148), Detweiler(147), Wood(90), Liriano(88), Blackley(77). As you can see, my SPs suck and because they are so valuable in this 16 team league, they are hard to come by with our hands off undrafted Rookie rules. The only thing saving my team so far(ranked 3 out of 16), are my hitters and my FA pickup RPs, 2 of which have over 200 pts and Wilhelmsen who has 171.

Anyway, guess I'll hold off and see what tonight brings to Uggla.
FantasySportsMaven
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby sigriffey » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:59 pm

FantasySportsMaven wrote:
rjforlife wrote:Uggla is cold now, but he gets hot and starts hitting quite a few HR. His runs should also go up in that lineup, and his hits might go up as he gets hot. Like I said, it's not a terrible deal, I just think you are selling Uggla at his low, and buying Miley at his high.

I see your point... but one more factor to consider is that this is a Dynasty league and Uggla is 32 yrs old while both Miley and Lynn are 25. Uggla has been so bad this year that I am starting to wonder if he is done for good?

Although in this league a point is a point no matter how you get it, it seems the top teams do it with good SPs and decent hitters. My team was partially autodrafted and I ended up loaded with hitters and SP poor.
Here are my current SPs along with their YTD pts: Colby Lewis(on DL-233), Niese(207), Romero(165), Happ(148), Detweiler(147), Wood(90), Liriano(88), Blackley(77). As you can see, my SPs suck and because they are so valuable in this 16 team league, they are hard to come by with our hands off undrafted Rookie rules. The only thing saving my team so far(ranked 3 out of 16), are my hitters and my FA pickup RPs, 2 of which have over 200 pts and Wilhelmsen who has 171.

Anyway, guess I'll hold off and see what tonight brings to Uggla.

It's an awful lot to sell at perhaps not the best time to sell it. Miley is nice but Uggla alone seems more than enough, stat cats notwithstanding. I'd see if he heats up and you can leverage that.

By the way, I posted the first place team's roster: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=449715
sigriffey
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 12)

Postby FantasySportsMaven » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:04 pm

Tonight... Uggla's been dropped from cleanup to 6th in the order... less RBI chances now too. :(

What if I kept Uggla and offered him Drew and Romero for Miley? Would that work for me and if so, would that be good enough for him to accept it? His team is in last place in the division and 11th overall out of 16 but young pitching is his strong suit and hitting and RPs his weakness.
FantasySportsMaven
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby somervillesoxfan » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:10 pm

I dont like either of these players for Uggla. Think you can get more value. I guess the drew/romero would work and I guess I would go for Miley. Are there any other pitchers? Somethings wrong with Lynn...loosing velocity etc.

thanks for helping on mine
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=449705
somervillesoxfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby FantasySportsMaven » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:06 pm

Tonight, hitting 6th in the order, Uggla went 0h fer 3 with 3 strikeouts. His only positive contribution to my team was in the 4th AB when he couldn't get out of the way of the ball and got hit.... I watch Uggla day after day after day and lately, at the end of the week if my matchup is close, I sit him on Sunday and leave the starting spot empty since he is more likely to produce a negative than positive result.

In a way, I think I can get good value for Uggla right now since I am thinking that Theriot is a better pickup at FA than Uggla right now. :-o
FantasySportsMaven
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions