Hosmer, Morse or Rizzo - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Hosmer, Morse or Rizzo

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Hosmer, Morse or Rizzo

Postby bravefalcon » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:02 pm

Who would you rather have for the rest of the year?

10 team 5x5 h2h league with OPS instead of AVG. I already have Hosmer and trying to decide whether to trade for Morse or pick-up Rizzo or stand pat.
bravefalcon
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Hosmer, Morse or Rizzo

Postby mcmbpd » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:21 pm

I would sit tight right now. I've been backing Hosmer all year and I'm going to continure to do just that. All signs are pointing to Hosmer just being the recipient of some really bad luck. The balls just haven't been falling in for him so far this season, but his contact and line drive rates are right around where they were last year and his K:BB ratio is very good. Sooner or later those hits have to start falling in and with the hot/humid summer days arriving with greater frequency now those long fly balls to the warning track should start finding the seats instead. I still think Hosmer will have a big 2nd half.

Morse is someone to keep an eye on for sure, but he's the 3rd option here for me. The guy has definitely been heating up lately and he's starting to find his power stroke, but we're not going to see a repeat of .910, 31 HR, and 95 RBIs. If he really heats up in the 2nd half then maybe we can expect .680, 20+ HRs, and 70+ RBIs...but that's a big maybe imo.

Rizzo is the wild card and he's my 2nd choice in this group simly because he has been killing the ball all year and I'm thinking this call up will be a success since the last one was such a disaster. The Cubs have almost everything riding on this kid and that he will be a star in the majors. So many things have gone the wrong way for the Cubs thatI think this kid is going to be the great equalizer. I think fate and the law of averages are on his side. I think that he could be capable of producing numbers that are slightly ahead of where Morse finishes. If he really gets on a tear and makes the proper adjustments once big league pitchers make their adjustments to him, then he could easily exceed those numbers.

The most important thing you have to do now is just sit back and watch, lol. I'd keep a very close eye on Rizzo and watch every AB if you can so you can get an early feel for how he's fairing before his 2 or 3 HRs hit Sports Center. If you wait to watch and see what he does on the highlights then you'll miss the boat with him because everybody that knows anything about fantasy baseball will be watching this kid closely and they'll be ready to pull the trigger at a moments notice. Not to fear though, if you miss out on a Rizzo explosion then you have your backup plan in Morse. Less people will be paying close attention to a hitter that has been struggling all year on a Nationals team that doesn't get a whole lot of "national" attention. You should be able to safely watch his progress without the same worries of another owner swooping in and grabbing him first like Rizzo. And if all else fails, you already have Hosmer...and he will hopefully turn his season around and make players like Morse and Rizzo seem like an after thought. Good luck, hope this helps.
"Baseball is ninety percent mental. The other half is physical." --Yogi Berra
mcmbpd
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mcmbpd » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:32 am

Ah ha, right after I wrote that post Hosmer finally had a good game in June! I guess I need to write Hosmer posts more often, lol. If we can get a 2-4, 1 HR, 2 RBI, and 1 SB night out of him then I'll write one every single day! lol So here's another one today in hopes that he's able to do it again. I watched his first AB last night and was like "see, that's the problem with this guy, hits a hard ball on the ground but it just doesn't find the hole and get into the OF." Well he hit the ball much hard in his next 3 ABs and he found some holes and the bleachers. During the broadcast they were saying that Hosmer has apparently been spending time alot of extra time with hitting coach Kevin Seitzer in the cage working on his slide step to the ball during his ABs. They said that over the past few days during those benchings in HOU with no DH and the surprising benching on Sunday at home Hosmer was under the stadium taking tons of extra BP tp try and get his swing right and break out of his season long slump. So hopefully all of that extra work is starting to pay off and this is the beginning of Hosmer having a great ROS. I know that me an Hosmer owners everywhere are certainly cheering for him and hoping that is the case. Let's go HOZ!!!
mcmbpd
College Coach
College Coach

Postby redkanefox2009 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:31 pm

Right now they're all big question marks. Hosmer has been underperforming all year, who knows if he's going to turn it around but the potential is there. I think Rizzo is primed to make a big splash, as it seems he is really ready for the bigs this year. Morse is still trying to get his timing back, and I would probably rank him at the bottom of these three. I would hold on to Hosmer right now if I were you.

Help with mine please? viewtopic.php?f=26&t=449577
redkanefox2009
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 12)

Postby Element » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:33 pm

I rank 'em Hosmer, Morse and then Rizzo. People are going goo goo over this kid and he hasn't done anything outside of the PCL yet. I think that Hosmer has a monster 2nd half.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 789)

Postby mcmbpd » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:26 pm

I hope you're absolutely right on that one Element. My make believe team needs that to happen anyway if I'm going to claw my way back into the playoffs, lol.
mcmbpd
College Coach
College Coach

Postby wazzeus » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:48 pm

You're throwing darts here. Any one of these guys could have the best second half. As a Hosmer owner, I'm very concerned about him despite Monday's little glimmer of hope. He hits too many grounders and hasn't adjusted to the shift.

I own Hosmer and Rizzo and plan to ride the hot hand. Just hoping there IS a hot hand, you know?
wazzeus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mcmbpd » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:57 pm

Keep the faith Wazz! I'm telling you man, stay optimistic on Hosmer...the turnaround is beginning! June was his worst month last year...his best months were July and September, and while August wasn't that great I'm hoping that he just continues his hot streak through the entire 2nd half. I'm definitely excited to watch Rizzo's ABs tonight though, it'll be nice to actually see these so-called swing improvements he's made.
mcmbpd
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions