Saltalamacchia or Avila? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Saltalamacchia or Avila? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Saltalamacchia or Avila? WHIR

Postby acertijo » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:18 am

Hey everyone

Pretty basic question. In a 12 team H2H league, standard cats. I picked up Avila while he was on the DL and now that he is back, I need to choose between him and Salty. I think that in general, Avila is probably a better commodity but Salty has been producing well over the past few weeks. I don't want to carry two catchers. Who would you keep of the two (and any reasoning would be great to hear)?

Leave a link and I always WHIR.
acertijo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Saltalamacchia or Avila? WHIR

Postby yankees25 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:35 am

I definitely would keep Salty simply for the reason that you said, his production has been very good. Also Salty will get some more RBI and runs since he's on a more offensively talented team.

-Steve

please help : viewtopic.php?f=94&t=449449
"Bob Gibson is the luckiest pitcher I ever saw. He always pitches when the other team doesn't score any runs."
— Tim McCarver
yankees25
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby pokerplaya » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:43 am

I agree with your assessment that Avila was the hotter commodity at the start of the season but I don't think he's a "can't cut" type of backstop...I'd personally ride the hot hand with Salty here, but if he starts to fall off for an extended period of time or Avila heats up, pick Avila back up. I'm inclined to think he might not get picked up immediately since he's struggled this year.

Thanks for your help.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Seanyfever » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:42 pm

pokerplaya wrote:I agree with your assessment that Avila was the hotter commodity at the start of the season but I don't think he's a "can't cut" type of backstop...I'd personally ride the hot hand with Salty here, but if he starts to fall off for an extended period of time or Avila heats up, pick Avila back up. I'm inclined to think he might not get picked up immediately since he's struggled this year.

Thanks for your help.

Playa shared my exact thoughts.

Help out a Cafe Brother.
viewtopic.php?t=449417
Expos... Gone, but not forgotten.
Seanyfever
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Response Team
(Past Year: 289)

Postby WhipperSnappers44 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:28 pm

Txs for the reply to my post....

Although I am originally from Detroit and love and Tiger players I would definitely take Salty here.....

At the beginning of the season I would say are you nuts considering this but we are not at the beginning of the season now and things have changed! Salty has played dominate ball and although Avila has considerable talent he does not have it this season. Before the DL stint he hadn't done much and missed several days with his old body wearing down and since the DL he hasn't done much while Salty continues to rack! I own Avila in one of my leagues and there is absolutely nothing as far as Catcher on the WW but I have debated dropping Avila a couple of times for a guy like Doumit and so that is scary.....I'll hold out on Avila for a little while longer in hopes he does something but if Salty were on my WW the I would make that switch a looooong time ago! Make it happen my friend and good luck!

WhipperSnappers44!!! ;-D ;-D ;-D
WhipperSnappers44
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions