Phillips for Middlebrooks(WHIR) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Phillips for Middlebrooks(WHIR)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Phillips for Middlebrooks(WHIR)

Postby rjforlife » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:03 am

Standard 5x5 keeper, we can keep up to 6. 10 team, weekly H2H. I'm in first by 20 games, regular season counts more than playoffs.

I give:

Middlebrooks/Beckham/Nova (All cost league minimum $5 next season)

I get:

Phillips($19), Cueto($8), and BJ Upton($22).

My team:

C: Posey
1B: Votto
2B: Kinsler
3B: Moose
SS: Scutaro
MI: Beckham
CI: Tex
OF: Cargo
OF: Heyward
OF: Bautista
OF: Rios
OF: Belt
UTIL: A-Jax

BN Middlebrooks
BN Rizzo
DL Tulo

SP: Hamels/Sale/Gio/Nova/Bum/Capuano/Pettite/Happ/Holland/Bauer.

What do you think?

Drop a link I'll help.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 740)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Phillips for Middlebrooks(WHIR)

Postby DoctorK24 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:50 am

To be honest, I have never played a league where the players are worth money, but from looking at it...

Do it. Cueto is having an all-start calibre season. In return, you're getting 2 mediocre players that can be plugged into your lineup when needed.

Again, not sure how the money thing works, but Upton is definitely not worth that. Neither is Phillips. So if you're strapped for cash (not sure if that makes sense), you're best to stay put.
DoctorK24
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby LightItUp95 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:59 am

DoctorK24 wrote:To be honest, I have never played a league where the players are worth money, but from looking at it...

Do it. Cueto is having an all-start calibre season. In return, you're getting 2 mediocre players that can be plugged into your lineup when needed.

Again, not sure how the money thing works, but Upton is definitely not worth that. Neither is Phillips. So if you're strapped for cash (not sure if that makes sense), you're best to stay put.

I disagree wholeheartedly. Cueto is having a great season, true, but he is bound for regression. The guy that makes this deal tricky is Middlebrooks; if he's really the All-Star Caliber player he's hyped to be, then keeping him at $5 is a total steal. Phillips is worse than Kinsler by a mile (Better BA, way lesss power and speed, worse lineup), so no upgrade there. BJ is an upgrade over Rios and Belt but that's it. If playoff don't count as much, then I don't do this deal. Your pitching is still awesome, and the only real upgrade you receive is in the outfield (Whihc you really don't need). Plus, Middlebrooks at $5 is very good down the road. 3B is becoming a scarce position for offense, and I doubt guys like lawrie are avaiable on draft day. For the long term, don't do this deal.
LightItUp95
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby rjforlife » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:06 pm

Bump.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby pokerplaya » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:12 pm

This is a tougher one then I originally thought, but ultimately I think I'd make the deal. I'm not 100% sure what you meant by the regular season being more important, but, I think that you are clearly getting more talent in this deal. I think that Cueto at $8 mostly negates the loss of Middlebrooks at $5, and Upton/Phillips will help your push for a title more than Nova/Beckham.

Thoughts on mine?
viewtopic.php?t=449418
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby rjforlife » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:15 pm

It's a money league that pays 50% to regular season champ, 10% to regular season runner-up, and 40% to playoff champ.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby pokerplaya » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:17 pm

rjforlife wrote:It's a money league that pays 50% to regular season champ, 10% to regular season runner-up, and 40% to playoff champ.

I figured it was something to that effect. My position remains the same though, I say you make the deal.

Thanks for your help on mine.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby mm92280 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:25 pm

I'm another guy who isn't used to a salary-based game but the way I see it is that Phillips would absolutely sit on your bench, since Kinsler is the better option at 2B. BJ Upton would be a nice upgrade in your outfield and would help there instantly. $22 doesn't sound cheap to me, though. I would want to see the salaries associated with your current roster, though, as that would better help me judge what type of value Upton and Cueto really are. I will say that Cueto is not really a must have for you but more of a luxury, as with Hamels, Bumgarner, Gio Gonzalez and Sale, you have 4 guys that are either legit #1 or legit #2 starters and you have some decent depth behind them as well. Middlebrooks at $5 appears to be a bargain, especially considering his position. If you take his current numbers (in 142 at bats) and multiply them over a 550 at bat season, then you've got a guy who is hitting .330 with around 35 homers, 130 RBIs and an OPS of .960. Of course, I don't truly expect him to be able to put up those numbers, as his walk-strikeout rate tells me that his numbers are going to come down but there have been players that have posted good numbers with bad walk-k ratios before.

Please do post the salaries of the players on your roster, as that would help educate me a bit on the salary game. Also, please let us know your overall salary cap for your team (this year and next, if they are different).

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=449425
mm92280
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rjforlife » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:45 pm

We get a $260 budget, and we can keep up to 6 players.

2013 costs for my potential keepers:

Posey- $10
Kinsler- $24
Kimbrel- $10
Moose- $8
Belt- $5
Heyward- $17
Bautista- $36
A-Jax- $5
Bum- $8
Gio- $10
Sale- $5
Capuano- $5

Tulo/Votto/Cargo are all $45 or higher, for reference on Bautista. Hamels would be $23
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby mm92280 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:01 pm

Thanks, that helps things tremendously. I think Posey at $10 and Middlebrooks at $5 is a tremendous bargain, as it lets you fill 2 tough positions with quality bats and it barely puts a dent in your budget. I like BJ Upton but Middlebrooks at $5 is too much for me to pass on. I'm not really considering Cueto here, as while I like him, you have similarly priced and producing options already on your roster in Bumgarner ($8), Gio Gonzalez ($10) and Sale ($5). That is tremendous pitching for very cheap pricing. Even Hamels at $23 is something of a bargain.

The tougher decision for you will be what to do with your higher-priced players: CarGo, Tulo, Votto and Jose Bautista would cost you $170+ of your $260 dollar budget. I would keep CarGo and Votto, even knowing they could eat up to 35-40 percent of your budget. Hate to say it but I think Tulo and Bautista could both be let go before next season due to their pricing. It goes against usual keeper logic to let studs go but that is the nature of the salary game - weighing the price versus the potential profit.
mm92280
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions