100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

CC Deal in a Keeper

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

CC Deal in a Keeper

Postby pokerplaya » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:09 pm

12 team, h2h
Keeper League, 10 keepers, no restrictions

In my keeper league I could use some SP depth and have a really deep offensive bench at the moment and would be well served to try to move a bench bat or two and add a SP. I made the following offer, and I'm wondering what the thoughts are on it. I generally don't like dealing the best player, but in this case it might help my team.

I deal CC Sabathia and Yoenis Cespedes (currently generally on my bench) for Dan Haren & Matt Moore. CC would be a keeper for me, and if I dealt for Haren/Moore, I'd likely try to keep both. Cespedes is a fringe keeper as well, but would depend on his second half as he doesn't have much of a track record.

I like Moore in a keeper, though he hasn't proved much yet. And Haren has been as solid as they come, but has clearly fallen on hard times lately. Considering the above info, thoughts on this offer?

Leave a link and I'll return the favor. Thanks.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: CC Deal in a Keeper

Postby oldmanbean » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:44 pm

Don't like it. If you were in our league, you would be trading the #10 pitcher for the #65 and #93. Yes, they have potential, but why throw away a proven commodity??

thanks for help on mine
oldmanbean
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby pokerplaya » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:01 am

While I agree that at this moment CC is far and away the best pitcher, this is a keeper league. I think that long term, Moore projects as a top of the rotation starter (though I realize he hasn't proven much, yet). Haren is struggling lately, but has a track record that puts him the top 20 SP's each year.

Thanks for the response though, it definitely makes me think twice about the offer. Anyone else?
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby brila777 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:19 am

Your second response here is how I think. Cc is good we know that but things are coming to an end for him and Moore is like a possible top 10-15. Haren has shown to be top 20 on consistent basis, its close but I like it. What's the keeper format. Whose your other pitchers?
10 team h2h
C Jesus Montero
1b Butler
2b Phillips
3b Beltre
SS Rollins
OF Braun, Rios, Craig, De Aza
Util Ortiz
SP Felix, Bumgarner, Zimmerman, Haren, Hammel, T. Hudson, Lynn, Gee
RP Jansen, Reed, Cook, Santos DL
brila777
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby germani40 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:19 am

I like the deal for you. I have both Haren and Moore now. Moore is turning a corner after a tough start. I wouldnt trade Haren and Moore for CC and Cespedes but I would definitely trade away CC and Cespedes to get Moore and Haren. Do the deal.
Keep
C Napoli
1 Butler/Davis/Hosmer/Dunn
2 Young/Utley/Zobrist
3 Moustakas
SS Bonifacio/E Cabrera
OF Grandy/Choo/Reddick/Kubel
SP Anderson/C Lee/Oswalt
Haren/Moore/A Sanchez
RP Soriano/Myers/Johnson/Aceves/Parnell
germani40
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 152)

Postby acertijo » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:32 am

Strictly from the keeper standpoint, I like the deal. Sabathia and Haren are the same age and both have been consistent over the years. I have the feeling that over the next few years, Sabathia is going to have more durability - he's built to throw. But Moore really does seem to be turning the corner and is a great young arm. And a deep offensive bench isn't going to do much more than be frustrating as you try and guess who the hot hitter will be from night to night (at least that's my experience with having too many extra bats).

The only way I wouldn't do the trade is if it hurts your chances this year. Clearly CC is having a better year than Haren and Moore is likely to have some ups and downs the rest of the way this year and possibly some innings limitation. Are you competing for the title still and would swapping out Sabathia's numbers for Haren's and Moore's hurt your chances to win? If so, I might not do it. But otherwise, yes.

Help on mine? viewtopic.php?t=449447
acertijo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby pokerplaya » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:47 am

Some additional info: I'm currently in a 3 way tie for 4th place, so I'm in the thick of it. This trade could hurt my chances this year, but I also have the problem of not having enough pitching depth. In this league, we have 5 SP slots, so most teams carry 8-10 SP's and I'm thin at the back end of my rotation and have way too many bench bats.

My SP's are Greinke, CC, Bumgarner, Billingsley, Oswalt, B. McCarthy (DL), Lilly (DL), so as you can see I only go 5 deep at this point...
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

Postby rjforlife » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:12 pm

It doesn't necessarily hurt your chances this year. When Haren pitches like his normal self, he is equal to or just below CC. To add Moore, who is showing signs of life, helps your staff for this season and in the future. I actually like this deal a ton.

Help:

viewtopic.php?t=449433
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1284)

Postby oriolemagic33 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:37 pm

100% I would do this deal if he'll accept it. From a keeper perspective, you are getting a great deal. You get two potential top 15-20 pitchers. I actually don't mind the deal for this year either. I fully expect Haren to turn it around, and Moore is starting to figure things out and pitch better. I like this deal for you.

Help on mine? viewtopic.php?t=449438
oriolemagic33
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby WaCougMBS » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:58 pm

rjforlife wrote:It doesn't necessarily hurt your chances this year. When Haren pitches like his normal self, he is equal to or just below CC. To add Moore, who is showing signs of life, helps your staff for this season and in the future. I actually like this deal a ton.

Absolutely agreed. I think that it helps your depth and overall production this year, is much closer to a push than some might think on an individual basis and will pay huge dividends in future years ;-D
2012 H2HWS West A champion
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions