100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Trading for an injured Tulo

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trading for an injured Tulo

Postby pokerplaya » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:58 am

12 team, h2h, 6x6 Ops/Holds
Keeper League - 10 Keepers, no restrictions

In this league I'm considering trying to make a move for the injured Tulowitski. Now that he's out 6-8 weeks, and possibly longer, I feel like his owner might be inclined to move him since he's quickly falling in the standings and has no one to replace him. However, he might already be thinking about the future (since this is a keeper league with no restrictions Tulo still has considerable value) so the offer has to be solid.

I'm considering offering my Reyes for his Tulo. I currently have Hardy just wasting away on my bench and have several open DL spots at the moment. I am comfortable with Hardy as my SS for the next few months especially if it nets me Tulo long term.

Thoughts on the deal? Reasonable? Good idea/bad idea?

PS - my other thought was trying to trade Hardy to this same owner, specifically for pitching depth. Unfortunately, he either has aces or guys I'm not high at all on so I'd either be offering Hardy for Masterson or Volquez. (Our league has 5 SP slots, and since 8-10 SPs are rostered on any given team, there is nothing available on the waiver wire). I'm not as high on this option.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Trading for an injured Tulo

Postby ROC AllStars » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:40 pm

Not knowing exactly what your team's strengths and weaknesses are, I would the value of the deal rests on your confidence in Hardy. If you feel like you could hold the line with Hardy starting every day, I think this deal makes sense, given your keeper structure, both now and in the future. If there is a twinge of doubt, however, I would stand pat. I believe that Reyes is going to put up better numbers in the second half. Good luck!

Help?
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=449401
"This guy leads the league in most offensive categories, including nose hair..."
ROC AllStars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby pokerplaya » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:48 pm

For reference, my other bats:

C: Carlos Santana
1B: Albert Pujols
2B: Robinson Cano
3B: David Wright
SS: Jose Reyes
LF: Matt Holliday
CF: Shane Victorino
RF: Carlos Gonzalez
UTIL: Shin Soo Choo
BN: Ichiro, Carlos Quentin, JJ Hardy, Yoenis Cespedes, Justin Morneau, Tony Campana
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby mcmbpd » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:39 pm

I like the idea of trying of trying to acquire Tulo right now from this owner. Tulo, when healthy, is a definite upgrade over Reyes at the SS position. Reyes has had a bad start to the year, but I think the other owner will still see the value he will have going forward...especially if he is in the need of SB help. Reyes has also been on an extra-base tear lately which only improves the likelyhood of Tulo's owner taking this deal. I like Tulo's potential upgrade in almost every catgerory over Reyes , except SBs obviously. Reyes is also 2 years older than Tulo, which again gives Tulo the upper hand in keeper leagues like yours. The biggest problem with Tulo, as we all know, is his ability to stay on the field. When the guy isn't hurt, and can play a full season, he's an absolute beast at SS...best in the game today. Tulo always seems to get hurt though...I mean in his 6 full season in the bigs he's only had 500-600 ABs in 3 of them (including this year). So taking him on means that you'll potentially be getting the best SS in MLB, but you will now also be the owner that has to constantly worry about Tulo's health...and you will worry about it every single year. I personally prefer guys like Jeter (given that there aren;t many like him) that you plug into the lineup and just leave him in there and never have to worry about his health. Players like him are rocks, and they are absolutely invaluable in fantasy baseball. That said, Tulo isn't that rock, but neither is Reyes...as we've seen over the past couple season. I think Tulo's production/upside makes me do this deal...but make the trade knowing that you will now always have to worry about his health every year. From all the reports I've read it seems like this recent groin surgery went well, nothing out of the ordinary, and he should recover in the 6-8 weeks...possibly giving you some production this year as well. A SS that, again when healthy, hits. .300+, 20-35 HRs, and right around 100 RBIs, and a few steals (his 20 SB days are over now with all the injuries and that's fine w me cuz it's just more chances for him to get hurt anyway, lol) is an awesome asset to your team. So I think its worth all the health risks to deal Reyes for Tulo. As for JJ Hardy, he should at least be a serviceable SS during the 6-8 weeks. Now he's not going to win you any titles, and as an O's fan I can tell you that last year was anaboration that will not repeat itself this season (as I'm sure you already know), but he will be able to fill in just fine and not really hurt your squad. Good luck and I hope it works out for you. Thanks again for your help on mine.
"Baseball is ninety percent mental. The other half is physical." --Yogi Berra
mcmbpd
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Halo Homers » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:21 pm

Anytime you can get a 1st round player, especially in a keeper, you have to do it.

Tulo another "freak" injury that does not hurt his long term value.

Your lineup is good enough for the 6-8 week wait.

Please help with my question.

posting.php?mode=post&f=26
Halo Homers
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 48)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions