1st place team: SHould I trade 2/3 of my OF and Giancarlo? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

1st place team: SHould I trade 2/3 of my OF and Giancarlo?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

1st place team: SHould I trade 2/3 of my OF and Giancarlo?

Postby lyons595 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:49 am

I am easily in 1st place due to a great draft, great WW pickups of SP, and a few deft trades (I turned Billingsley into Dunn into Stanton!). Overall I am very pleased with my roster, but I LOVE to stream SP and have too many good SP to stream right now. Therefore I am actively trying to trade a few of them to add even more firepower to my offense, esp in the OF.
I am always trying to get better, and I have an offer for CarGo. BUt it's gonna cost me: CarGo (and Allen Craig) for Stanton, Victorino, and Felix Hernandez. Does this trade make me better or not? I am thinking I should try to swap Morse for Victorino, but I know the other owner really like Victorino so that may not work. Craig had a great start to the season but has really cooled since then. Any advise is appreciated. WHIR.

ESPN, h2h each, 12 team, 4 RP max, daily roster changes. Cats: standard 5x5 plus OPS, QS. Non-keeper. I'd like to stream 2-4 SP weekly.

C Mike Napoli
1B Joey Votto
2B Jason Kipnis
3B Jose Bautista
SS Jose Reyes
OF Michael Bourn
OF Shane Victorino
OF Giancarlo Stanton
UTIL David Freese
Bench Michael Morse

SP Felix Hernandez
SP Adam Wainwright
SP James McDonald
SP Johnny Cueto
RP Craig Kimbrel
RP Kenley Jansen
RP Tyler Clippard
RP Ryan Cook
RP Drew Storen (DL)
lyons595
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 217)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 1st place team: SHould I trade 2/3 of my OF and Giancarl

Postby aerrico » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:40 pm

If you are planning on streaming pitchers, I think a deal LIKE this may make sense for you. Usually I would not advocate trading so much for one star player, but you are in such a shallow league, that picking up a 5 category player for the playoffs in a H2H league probably makes some sense. Also, because the league is so shallow. the availability of pitchers that you can stream is going to be wider, and therefore lead to less of a gap between the pitching you are trading and the pitching that you are replacing it with on the FA wire.

All this being said, I think this particular deal has you giving up a bit too much for one player. I would try to counter-offer for CarGo or maybe go after a cheaper 5 category star player such as Braun, McCutchen, Wright, Adam Jones, etc. See what the other owners will be willing to deal their 5 category guy for. In a league this shallow, I think condensing your roster makes a lot of sense because of the availability of FA players; however, it seems like the CarGo owner is using this to HIS advantage by nabbing players that are better than those available on the FA wire, while adding Allen Craig to a deal where the FA pool is probably not much worse than Craig. I hope that made sense haha.

Anyway, I like the idea of trading away some depth for a star player given your roster and the league depth, but I don't think this particular deal is right for you.
aerrico
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Postby LightItUp95 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:31 pm

Okay, I don't love that trade, mainly cuz I think Felix will turn it around. At the same time, Cueto will regress eventually, as will McDonald. If you can do that same deal with either of them, then I'd defintely do that. Felix will become the King again, he's got too much talent just to Lincecum out of control for no real reason. That said, not a bad deal for you. I love CarGo and Craig, and while what you're giving up is fairly substantial, when you need to clear roster space, lopsided trades are often the best way to do so. I might try to deal one of your closers, since you have so many. Maybe Cook perhaps? IDK. Good team tho.

Also, here's mine:

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=448778

check it out.
LightItUp95
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Quackman » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:53 am

LightItUp95 wrote:Okay, I don't love that trade, mainly cuz I think Felix will turn it around. At the same time, Cueto will regress eventually, as will McDonald. If you can do that same deal with either of them, then I'd defintely do that. Felix will become the King again, he's got too much talent just to Lincecum out of control for no real reason. That said, not a bad deal for you. I love CarGo and Craig, and while what you're giving up is fairly substantial, when you need to clear roster space, lopsided trades are often the best way to do so. I might try to deal one of your closers, since you have so many. Maybe Cook perhaps? IDK. Good team tho.

Also, here's mine:

check it out.

McDonald will regress? Did you see his last game? If I were you I'd keep Stanton out of it and try to package a pitcher and victorino. Forget Craig,,,hr today but it's all risk and you really don't have a spot. Felix might be you best chance at a big bat.
Quackman
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 64)

Postby LightItUp95 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:08 am

Quackman wrote:
LightItUp95 wrote:Okay, I don't love that trade, mainly cuz I think Felix will turn it around. At the same time, Cueto will regress eventually, as will McDonald. If you can do that same deal with either of them, then I'd defintely do that. Felix will become the King again, he's got too much talent just to Lincecum out of control for no real reason. That said, not a bad deal for you. I love CarGo and Craig, and while what you're giving up is fairly substantial, when you need to clear roster space, lopsided trades are often the best way to do so. I might try to deal one of your closers, since you have so many. Maybe Cook perhaps? IDK. Good team tho.

Also, here's mine:

check it out.

McDonald will regress? Did you see his last game? If I were you I'd keep Stanton out of it and try to package a pitcher and victorino. Forget Craig,,,hr today but it's all risk and you really don't have a spot. Felix might be you best chance at a big bat.

McDonald's peripherals worry me. His strikeout rates have been flucutating a bit recently and before last night, he wasn't going deep into games. Put it this way; his ERA isn't going to remain in the low 2s the rest of the season, that's Kershaw/Halladay territory. High2s/Low 3s seems more acceptable. Before last night, he was barely making out of the 5th inning. IDK, maybe he surprises me like Ian Kennedy did, but I just don't trust it. I'd still trade Cueto though.
LightItUp95
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby lyons595 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:14 am

Thanks, all, for your input.
After reading your feedback, I decided to look around a little more. I had only offered Stanton & Felix for BRaun and CarGo, so I decided to see if any of the other top5 bats (esp. in the OF) were interested. And about an hour later, I had an accepted offer of Felix for Adam Jones, straightup!
Needless to say, I am MORE than OK with that deal. I can trade-off Freese or Morse to open up a SP spot for streaming.
lyons595
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 217)

Postby aerrico » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:36 pm

This is EXACTLY what I was referring to in my earlier post. Don't necessarily target one specific player. In my opinion, shopping players for trades is VERY similar to setting up "tiers" when drafting. Tier off guys that you are interested in and then look for the best trade out of those players. I think you did GREAT with this trade getting a 5 category offensive player for a struggling starting pitcher in Felix. I think I would trade Felix for Adam Jones even if he was giving you King Felix numbers this year. Great deal!
aerrico
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team