Stuck in Fifth Place - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Stuck in Fifth Place

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Stuck in Fifth Place

Postby Cali Redneck » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:07 am

Stuck in the middle of the pack in my league (12 team Yahoo H2H league, default settings), but I don't see any major weaknesses in my roster. Am I just having some bad luck, or are there major improvements that need to be made?

HITTERS

C: A.J. Pierzynski
1B: Nick Swisher (1B,OF)
2B: Ben Zobrist (2B,OF)
3B: Will Middlebrooks
SS: Elvis Andrus
OF: Nelson Cruz
OF: Jose Bautista (3B,OF)
OF: Giancarlo Stanton
UT: Trevor Plouffe (2B,3B,SS,OF)
UT: Dee Gordon
Bench: Eric Hosmer, Brett Gardner (DL)

PITCHERS

SP: Stephen Strasburg
SP: Ryan Vogelsong
RP: Huston Street
RP: Frank Francisco
P: Matt Capps
P: Ricky Romero
P: A.J. Burnett
P: Ian Kennedy
Bench: Kyle Lohse, Jair Jurrjens, Brandon McCarthy, Roy Halladay (DL)
Cali Redneck
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 61)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Stuck in Fifth Place

Postby lyons595 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:03 am

IMO, basically you are a 5th place team. You have solid players, but only one real elite hitter and SP. You could upgrade at 1B, 2B, and SP. Guys like Paul Goldschmidt, Mike Young and Lucas Duda may be available. SP is super deep and streaming guys with good matchups may be a good option for you.

help: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=449402
lyons595
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Response Team
(Past Year: 201)

Re: Stuck in Fifth Place

Postby LightItUp95 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:31 pm

Cali Redneck wrote:Stuck in the middle of the pack in my league (12 team Yahoo H2H league, default settings), but I don't see any major weaknesses in my roster. Am I just having some bad luck, or are there major improvements that need to be made?

HITTERS

C: A.J. Pierzynski
1B: Nick Swisher (1B,OF)
2B: Ben Zobrist (2B,OF)
3B: Will Middlebrooks
SS: Elvis Andrus
OF: Nelson Cruz
OF: Jose Bautista (3B,OF)
OF: Giancarlo Stanton
UT: Trevor Plouffe (2B,3B,SS,OF)
UT: Dee Gordon
Bench: Eric Hosmer, Brett Gardner (DL)

PITCHERS

SP: Stephen Strasburg
SP: Ryan Vogelsong
RP: Huston Street
RP: Frank Francisco
P: Matt Capps
P: Ricky Romero
P: A.J. Burnett
P: Ian Kennedy
Bench: Kyle Lohse, Jair Jurrjens, Brandon McCarthy, Roy Halladay (DL)

I don't love your team, to be honest, but you are in a similar position to me. I'm in tenth in my 12-team H2H league despite the fact my roster is quite. In H2H, one bad day can ruin your week and thus ruin your record. I think a lot of guys on your team are underperforming, which sucks. Let's start:

- One major hole I do see is your relief pitchers. You have three gus who are A) pretty inconsistent closers and B) Could be traded/demoted. These things aren't set in stone, mind you, but still. You have no elite or even B-level closers. For this, check the waiver wire. I would try and find Tom Wilhelmsen (Seattle) and Ryan Cook (Oakland) who can fill the void. If you can find Andrew Bailey or Drew Storen and are willing to wait, those guys are both top notch closers when healthy. If your league counts holds, then even better. Joaquin Benoit (Detroit) and Glen Perkins (Minnesota) are both excellent relievers who could be getting Save opportunites in the near future (More Perkins than Benoit for that though).

- As for your hitting, I count two upper echelon hitters (Bautista, Stanton) and that's it. Now, granted both of these guys underperformed for the first half of the season, but neither is going to carry your team. Middlebrooks will be more productive once Youk is finally gone. I don't love Dee Gordon here. While he may steal you bases, that average is bad, and when he slumps, it's not pretty. A guy that's probably better in your league and available in Ben Revere (Minnesota), who can provide you will steals and good average as well. I'd start Hosmer over Swisher and trade Swisher for maybe another pitcher or bat. Hoz may not be as productive as he was last year, but he certainly will be a better across the board player than Swisher (Unless it's an OBP league, in which case Swisher has a bit of an edge), since he'll pitch in some steals and a little more BA with similar power. I'd try to upgrade at catcher, maybe you can find someone like Wilin Rosario or Jesus Montero on your waiver wire

- Your pitching is also underperforming. While Kennedy isn't a legit ace, he should b e good for a fantasy No. 2. The guy I'd trade (Maybe for a bat or part of a trade for another pitcher) is Romero. Peripherals look bad and while he's still good for some wins, there are better guys out there. Maybe trade him for a catcher. A good buy low to target is Carlos Santana. I'd drop either Lohse or Jurrjens for either Bauer and Hultzen (Or both, frankly). You'll have to wait, but those guys have more upside than most of your staff. Hultzen should be up relatively soon, with Bauer to follow. Lastly, one dilema here is Strasbourg. In a H2H redraft (I'm assuming thats your league settings), his value down the stretch due to his innings limit isn't good. Without him though, you have no ace, so it's hard. I'd trying shopping him and see what the best deal you can get for him is. Maybe then trade for guy like Cliff Lee or Adam Wainwright, guys with ace potential who are underperforming.

That's it. Hope it's helpful!

Here's mine:

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=448778
LightItUp95
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team