Trade C Lee?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Trade C Lee??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trade C Lee??

Postby BronxBrawler » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:26 pm

Im in a 15 team points league. I drafted offense first and am now trying to upgrade my pitching. I've been right around 1st place all season so far and want to stay there. I received an offer of Granderson/A Sanchez for Vargas./C Lee. I would like to think that C Lee would be my ace in the second half, and my OF isnt bad enough that im desperate, but I do like Granderson...any thoughts??
My team:
C- Y MOLINA
1B- VOTTO
2B-KINSLER
SS-J LOWRIE
3B- ZIMMERMAN
OF-VICTORINO, HART,QUENTIN, REDDICK
UTIL- D ORTIZ
BENCH-J Francouer, J Peralta
SP- C LEE, HELLICKSON,MCDONALD,PETTITE,J ZIMMERMAN,J VARGAS,M Harrison, TREVOR BAUER
RP- SORIANO
BronxBrawler
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Trade C Lee??

Postby mcmbpd » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:16 pm

That's a tough one...I like Granderson as well, and he would really be a big improvement in your OF. I think overall your offense is good, but it's definitely not coming from your OF. C. Lee's splits are pretty similar over his career 1st vs 2nd half od the season. However, last year he really turned it up a notch and had a far superior 2nd half in 2011. I think A. Sanchez is also a decent option and better than Vargas, but he's no Cliff Lee...I'd say he's somewhere in between Vargas and Lee. I also think that Reddick and Quentin are way overdue for some regression and I expect that to come in the 2nd half. So the bottom line is that while I like the improvement that Granderson would bring to your OF the loss of both Lee and Vargas would considerably weaken your pitching staff imo...especially since we have no idea what's going to happen with Hellickson. Even when healthy Hellickson is not that great of a starting option and pitched beyond his abilities last year, rookie of the year or not. MCDonald, Zimmerman, and to a lesser extent Harrison are solid and should maintain their status as good SP options...and I think Pettite is going to return to earth at some point in the 2nd half once the innings catch up with his age. So can you get by with 3 legit SPs? and can you afford to gamble on Pettite's continued success and that Hellickson will return and be serviceable? If the answer is yes in your mind then you take the deal. Given your position in the league though (right around 1st all yr in a 15 team league) I don't think that you can afford to do this trade and you have to stick with what you have right now...now if you can get Granderson in a deal that doesn't include C. Lee, McDonald, or Zimmerman as one of tghe SPs in the deal then I'd make that trade. Feel the guy out and see if that's feasible...tell him those SPs are off the table but you can still work something out if he needs 2 SPs or maybe an SP and one of your OF options, ala Reddick of Quentin our regression candidates. See if that works cuz if your like me you'd like to get Grandy but not give up Lee
"Baseball is ninety percent mental. The other half is physical." --Yogi Berra
mcmbpd
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)

Postby BronxBrawler » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:03 pm

I'm working on a deal where I would get McCutchen and Darvish for C Lee and J Reddick. Any thoughts??
BronxBrawler
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby mcmbpd » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:23 pm

hmmm...a couple weeks ago I prolly would've said that I liked that deal. I'm a big Clutch fan and he's a greatoption to have in the OF. Darvish has been disappointing imo and i'm not sure if he's gonna have a better 2nd half or not. The big thing here is that I though Reddick was way overvalued and was due for a regression. However, he's been keeping that power stroke alive...had another long ball today in fact. His AVG. has been coming back down to earth like I thought it would because of his contact rate/K issues. His power seems to be legit right now though so that's why now I don't think I'd make this deal. And this trade involves C Lee again, and I didn't like moving him in the original deal. I like the upgrade to Clutchy here, but Darvish doesn't help your situation and you'd be giving up Lee again and now a legitimate OF option in Reddick...I just think the price is still to high here for your team. Did you try to get something going in a deal that didn't involve Lee like I suggested before?
mcmbpd
College Coach
College Coach

Postby i_b_sparks » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:27 pm

Granderson and Cutch are big upgrades in your OF. Do everything in your power to get one of those guys without giving up Lee. If that can't be worked, I would stay put with Lee.
i_b_sparks
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby BronxBrawler » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:57 pm

I dont like the idea of using C Lee as trade bait, but this league is tough. The owners really over value their teams, not sure why since I am now in 1st place. I've done everything I can think of to get an OF upgrade and/or a stud SP, but nothing has worked out. I cant even get interest in Big Papi, they all want either C Lee or J Votto and I wont even entertain the idea of dealing Votto. I feel the same way about Reddick. I expected him to slow way down, but he is still producing.
BronxBrawler
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby mcmbpd » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:27 pm

Yeah I totally understand your problem. I've got the same problem in my 12 team league where these owners don't really know nearly as much as I do when it comes to fantasy baseball. Not to sound arrogant, but I just invest way more of my time and effort into studying/researching fantasy baseball than they do. Since they all know this they tend to do the same thing that owners do in your league...totally over value their teams and players. These kind of people just know whatever they read from Yahoo's "experts," and that's where their research and intelligence ends.They always think I know something they don't and then try to jack the price up on my trades in order to protect/cushion their side just in case. It's a common problem in many leagues for alot of people. Lack of knowledge leads to asking for the world if you want any of their players. In your situation though it all comes down to the 2nd sentence you just wrote bro. You're in 1st place! In a 15 team league no less! an at the end of the day that's all that matters. Now I know, if you're like me even 1st isn't good enough because you don't wanna get complacent and you're always looking to improve your team. We have to be careful though because along with that thought process comes the possibility of trading away players or making waiver wire moves that end up hurting your team in the long run and costing you a champioship. At this point you need to remain calm and stand firm on the fact that you're not dealing Lee, unless one of these owners is gonna pony up a deal that's actually beneficial to your team and doesn't weaken it. They are dangling guys like Clutchy in front of you and then trying to add in a Sanchez or Darvish, hoping that you'll fall in love so much with McCutchen or Granderson that you won't worry about the hudge downgrade from Lee to those bums. With the way that your team is made up you should be looking at Lee in the same way that you look at Votto. None of the owners in your league are going to get Lee or Votto unless they are willing to overpay...end of story...bottom line! In the meantime, keep your eyes open/locked on the waiver wire and continue to listen to possible trade offers. You're in the driver's seat right now, don't forget that
mcmbpd
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BronxBrawler » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:30 am

I am considering offering C Lee/J lowrie for Y Gallardo/J Rollins. I know Lee is a potential Cy Young candidate and Gallardo is not, but I am starting to wonder if Lee is 100% healthy. Pls give me your opinions. Thanks
BronxBrawler
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Rally Cat » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:10 pm

BronxBrawler wrote:I'm working on a deal where I would get McCutchen and Darvish for C Lee and J Reddick. Any thoughts??

Bang!!!. Thats sound is the accept button. You are getting the best player in the deal. Darvish is coming fast and Lee is going just as fast. He may not win a game this year. Kidding of course but this deal is a no brainer for you IMO!! ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D
Rally Cat
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 67)

Postby BronxBrawler » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:26 pm

Mccutchen/Darvish deal for C lee/J Reddick fell through. I am now considering offer Lee and J lowrie for J Rollins and Y Gallardo.
BronxBrawler
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions