Trade Chris Sale for Matt Joyce & Jon Niese? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Trade Chris Sale for Matt Joyce & Jon Niese? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trade Chris Sale for Matt Joyce & Jon Niese? WHIR

Postby microwavable » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:22 pm

Hey guys, I'm new here, but I look forward to contributing.

I'm in a 14-team Keeper league, with 30-man rosters. It's also a H2H Points league. This is my first time in a Points league (this league has been going for over 10 years and I'm replacing a manager for the long-term) and I've been having a little trouble developing a good strategy in this format. That said..

Just got offered Matt Joyce and Jon Niese for Chris Sale.

I know Matt Joyce will probably go on the DL today, but I feel like Sale is one bad outing from having hardly any trade value. Should I take this now before his arm falls off? I need corner outfield help, as I'm currently rotating Cody Ross and Gerardo Parra in and out of LF, with Nelson Cruz on the other side in RF. Cruz also qualifies at LF. However, I also have Brett Gardner coming back (hopefully) soon. Angel Pagan and Drew Stubbs (DL) in CF.

The owner also has Justin Upton, Shin-Soo Choo, and Desmond Jennings. Should I try to go after Upton with Sale, straight up?

Thanks!
microwavable
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 18)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Trade Chris Sale for Matt Joyce & Jon Niese? WHIR

Postby WaCougMBS » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:38 pm

Hi there, and welcome to the Cafe! Great to see a new face around here ;-D

As for your Sale situation, there's no way on this planet I'd give sale for that combo - you need a much better bat to justify sending one of the hottest pitchers in the league. I know he had a bummer start last time out and walked a couple too many guys, but he was one out away from getting out of trouble and his teammates didn't do him any favors. I think he's far and away the best player in the original deal, and at his young age and with his upside he's not the kind of guy you want to let go for two slightly above-replacement-level guys like Joyce/Niese.

Now, as for the second part of your question, yeah I'd absolutely give sale for Jennings or Upton straight up, but that's never going to happen - probably going to take a package deal where you send a serviceable batter and Sale for one of those guys, and even then it'll probably take the right kind of deal. I think I'd probably not do Choo for Sale, and I'm still a Choo believer, but it sounds like you have some rebuilding ahead of you, and I wouldn't do that with a 31-year-old OF who's nearing the top of his hill, best case.

Hope this helps ;-D
2012 H2HWS West A champion
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby baegames » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:41 pm

I would try to trade Sale as he may tire down the stretch, but, as the previous poster said, you need more than that to get it done.

Upton is too much of a reach, but, if the other owner'll do it, take it and run.

Help with mine:

viewtopic.php?t=449370
baegames
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 649)

Postby clarkdp2 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:14 pm

No way should you accept that. I think you should offer Sale and possibly another OF for Upton.

help me out? viewtopic.php?t=449356
clarkdp2
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 66)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions