PLEASE, help me improve my struggling team! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

PLEASE, help me improve my struggling team!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

PLEASE, help me improve my struggling team!

Postby BringBackTheLARams » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:50 am

I'm a newbie in an 8 team Yahoo H2H league (5x5) and I'm struggling in 6th place (39-57-4). The team was originally AUTO-DRAFTED (I took it over as a favor). I've shuffled the roster a ton due to poor play and major injuries, picking up off waivers Big Papi, Casilla, Lohse, Chapman, Lynn, Vogelsong, Craig, Plouffe and Buchholz (stream him tomorrow). If everyone was healthy (Tulo) and wasn't sucking or under-achieving (A-Gone, Santana, Lee, Cruz, Victorino) I'd at least be competitive.

Obviously, there are redundancies at 2B and 3B. Recently, I put Phillips, Wright, and Lawrie on the trading block in hopes of upgrading my SP/OF, but I've only gotten a few offers - mostly for Kinsler. In addition, since our league is so shallow, only two people seem to be really interested in upgrading 2B - one currently has Pedroia and the other has Zobrist (Utley on DL). With Phillips, Craig, and Plouffe all eligible to play 2nd, I'm thinking about seeing what I can get for Kinsler, but so far the offers have sucked (Ethier for Kinsler etc). I also currently have an offer of Pedroia and Lincecum for Phillips, but I think Lincy is toast and with Phillips batting clean-up behind Votto he should continue to produce.

So, what should I do to improve my team?
- Should I try to trade Kinsler and if so what is he worth? The guy who has Pedroia has Weaver. Is Kinsler for Weaver a good idea?
- The guy with Zobrist has OFs Granderson, Hart, Ethier, and Bruce. I'm sure he won't do Kinsler for Granderson, but is Phillips for Bruce a good offer?
- I currently have 4 RPs - is that too many? Problem is, I'm not sure they're worth anything in a trade and if I drop any of them they'll definitely be picked up.

Lastly, there are always guys to pick-up making trading more difficult. For example, right now Heyward, Choo, Hardy, M. Morse (OF, 1B), Swisher, Youk, Pagan, Moustakas, J. Lowrie, Fowler, K. Johnson, Seager, Hardy, Rasmus, C. Young and Soriano (W) are all available. And, SPs available include McCarthy, Nova, Cahill, Garza, E. Jackson, Billingsley, Worley, Fister, Vargas etc.

Thanks in advance for your help. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

My Team (originally AUTO-DRAFTED):
C - Carlos Santana
1B - David Ortiz / A. Gonzalez (1B, OF)
2B - Kinsler / B. Phillips
3B - D. Wright / Lawrie
SS - Plouffe (2B, 3B, SS, OF) / Tulowitzki (DL)
OF - Nelson Cruz
OF - Victorino
OF - Allen Craig (OF,1B, 2B)
Util - Rotate any of above
Util - Rotate any of above
SP - Cliff Lee / J. Zimmerman / Wainwright / Lohse / Lynn / Vogelsong / Hammels / Buchoholz (stream)
RP - Betancourt / Putz / Casilla / Chapman
Last edited by BringBackTheLARams on Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BringBackTheLARams
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: PLEASE, help me improve my struggling team!

Postby silverZ » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:25 am

I also currently have an offer of Pedroia and Lincecum for Phillips, but I think Lincy is toast and with Phillips batting clean-up behind Votto he should continue to produce.

Take that deal. Pedo > Phillips.

Phillips for Bruce is also a good deal. I would lean heavily in favour of the Pedo deal though.

I wouldn't trade Kinsler for Weaver. A stud SP isn't as valuable as a 30-30 hitter.

I would drop Craig for Choo or Heyward.

4 stud RP is fine. They'll help your ratios 90% of the time on top of winning you saves most weeks.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby BringBackTheLARams » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:54 pm

silverZ wrote:
Take that deal. Pedo > Phillips.

Phillips for Bruce is also a good deal. I would lean heavily in favour of the Pedo deal though.

I wouldn't trade Kinsler for Weaver. A stud SP isn't as valuable as a 30-30 hitter.

I would drop Craig for Choo or Heyward.

Wow, I'm surprised by your reply sliverZ. A couple of questions for clarification.

I know you believe that Pedroia is better than Phillips ROS (which is arguable - especially with Phillips batting clean-up behind Votto), but since I'm not going to play either player over Kinsler, shouldn't I be looking to improve my weak areas like OF or SP instead of trading one back-up 2B for another? Also, if I take this trade what should I do with Lincecum? I either have to drop somebody or drop Lincy.

Also, as for dropping Craig for Choo or Heyward, I'm not sure how that helps me unless one of those guys blows up. So far this season I'm 7-3 in Runs, but I'm 2-8 in both HR and BA - areas in which both Choo and Heyward are average. Either of those guys would get me more steals which would help (I'm 5-5), but Craig is eligible at 3 positions (1B, 2B, OF).

Thanks for your thoughts.
BringBackTheLARams
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby silverZ » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:32 pm

I know you believe that Pedroia is better than Phillips ROS (which is arguable - especially with Phillips batting clean-up behind Votto), but since I'm not going to play either player over Kinsler, shouldn't I be looking to improve my weak areas like OF or SP instead of trading one back-up 2B for another? Also, if I take this trade what should I do with Lincecum? I either have to drop somebody or drop Lincy.

Pedoria plays in a very good lineup too, hits for a better average, and has similar power/speed numbers. I would take him over Phillips in a heartbeat. Personally I would set your lineup like this:

1b: Ortiz
2b: Kinsler
3b: Wright
OF: Cruz, Victorino, Agon
Util: Pedoria, Lawrie

I would drop your streaming spot for Lincecum. I'm pretty low on Timmy as well but I think you have to take that trade and give him a couple more weeks to turn things around. His FIP is almost 2.5 runs below his ERA. He won't be this bad all year.

Also, as for dropping Craig for Choo or Heyward, I'm not sure how that helps me unless one of those guys blows up. So far this season I'm 7-3 in Runs, but I'm 2-8 in both HR and BA - areas in which both Choo and Heyward are average. Either of those guys would get me more steals which would help (I'm 5-5), but Craig is eligible at 3 positions (1B, 2B, OF).

With Agon+Ortiz and Kinsler+Pedoria you'll almost never use him at 1b/2b. So that leaves him as mostly an OF to you, likely replacing Cruz when he goes on the DL. If you take position scarcity out of the equation I easily prefer the all around games of Choo/Heyward to Craig. Heyward has as much power upside, Choo is a much safer bet to hit .300 from here on out. It's not a huge deal if you keep Craig, just don't expect his average to hold up. Heyward would be my pick because of his upside.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions