RA Dickey srsly? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

RA Dickey srsly?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: RA Dickey srsly?

Postby Cubbies34 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:45 am

R.A. Dickey is filthy. It's gotta be tough for MLB hitters to face a tough knuckle-baller when there are so few KB's out there.

Dickey- Leading the MLB in Wins, WHIP for starting pitchers (qualified pitchers), Tied for first in ERA, 2nd in K's. Now if he could only come save games on his off days!

R.A. Dickey- 2012 frontrunner for CY YOUNG! Go R.A. Go! ;-D
Cubbies34
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Izenhart » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:06 am

Skin Blues wrote:I'd like to see a game log with Wakefield even coming close to this. I can't think of anybody, actually, that's been this good over a 6 game span. 48 IP, 63 Ks, 5 BBs, 1 ER. Verlander didn't even come close to that last season. Maybe Strasburg... but still, this is very rare.

Well if we are talking a six game stretch than no, I'm not sure I could even think of a pitcher off the top of my head that could compare. Maybe Hershiser or Drysdale when they had the long scoreless streak. The K's probably won't be there though.

Wakefield started the 1995 season in the minors. He was an afterthought. Pulling up his game log: He comes up On May 27, wins his first start giving up 1 run in 7 IP, then he wins his second start on two days rest throwing 7 shutout innings. Starts 3 and 4 were CG wins, one of them a 10 inning shutout. From June 29th through August 13th he won all 10 of his starts, at which point he had a 14-1 record and a 1.65 ERA. The rest of the season was pretty ugly, giving up 46 runs (40 earned) in 64.3 innings.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 299)

RA Dickey srsly?

Postby medium_robin » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:48 am

Izenhart wrote:From June 29th through August 13th he won all 10 of his starts, at which point he had a 14-1 record and a 1.65 ERA. The rest of the season was pretty ugly, giving up 46 runs (40 earned) in 64.3 innings.

Thank you. This is my point about KB's. When it works, it's amazing. When it doesn't, you're throwing BP.
medium_robin
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 21)

Postby garf112 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:18 pm

medium_robin wrote:
Izenhart wrote:From June 29th through August 13th he won all 10 of his starts, at which point he had a 14-1 record and a 1.65 ERA. The rest of the season was pretty ugly, giving up 46 runs (40 earned) in 64.3 innings.

Thank you. This is my point about KB's. When it works, it's amazing. When it doesn't, you're throwing BP.

First off, that's not what you said:

medium_robin wrote:This kind of thing happens to knuckleballers from time to time. Ex-Tiger Steve Sparks had a great year in 2001 going 14-9 for a terrible Tigers team that year. But he was a one-year wonder. I'm not saying Dickey is that. Just that knuckleballers don't generally have a long history of success and are more prone to fluke years like this.

Second, you are missing some other important stats above that paint a different picture about this particular knuckleballer.

Wakefield had a 79/37 K/BB ratio in those 131 IP.
Dickey's is 103/21 in 99 IP thus far.

That is the major difference that sets Dickey apart from any other knuckleballer... EVER. Even Niekro never had a 100 IP stretch with that kind of dominance and command. Closest I found was in 1978 when he went 77/28 over 97.2 IP. Wakefield went 65/28 over his best 101.1 inning stretch in 1995.

Bottom line is Dickey is doing something that no other knuckleballer, and most other starting pitchers, has ever done before. He even has a history of success in the past. Discounting what he is doing because of freakin Steve Sparks and a 130 inning from Tim Wakefield where he got a bit lucky and was new to the league is going way overboard.
Last edited by garf112 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 39)

Postby hondo4mvp » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:49 pm

MY buttocks have developed callouses from the constant caning I've given myself after not picking him up a month ago.
hondo4mvp
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 17)

Postby Ender » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:08 am

Lets be honest here. Dickey is not throwing a knuckelball at this point. Yeah he is gripping the ball in a similar fashion to a knuckler but he has way more command of it and he is throwing it a good 15-20 MPH faster than others have. This is more or less a completely new pitch and at this point hitters have no idea how to respond to it. The thing only gives 1 rotation of the seams and seems to move in random directions so hitters have no idea what to expect from it and he can throw it with velocity and with accuracy.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

RA Dickey srsly?

Postby lastingsgriller » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:10 pm

Ender wrote:Lets be honest here. Dickey is not throwing a knuckelball at this point. Yeah he is gripping the ball in a similar fashion to a knuckler but he has way more command of it and he is throwing it a good 15-20 MPH faster than others have. This is more or less a completely new pitch and at this point hitters have no idea how to respond to it. The thing only gives 1 rotation of the seams and seems to move in random directions so hitters have no idea what to expect from it and he can throw it with velocity and with accuracy.

I think the velocity is improving the accuracy. The ball is knuckling far enough to miss bats but not so far that it dives out of the strike zone.

For those that haven't been watching, RA actually throws two different knucklers. The one he uses the majority of the time at 78-82 mph and then a change up knucklers down around 60 that is more like a traditional knuckleball.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 167)

RA Dickey srsly?

Postby medium_robin » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:23 pm

As usual, Ender chimes in with words of wisdom. Respect!

Ender, did you make your comments before or after you read today's article about Dickey on Fangraphs?!

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.ph ... -velocity/
medium_robin
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 21)

Postby Ender » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:58 am

I haven't read that one yet, I posted mine at 12:08 AM so I'm guessing it was before that came out. I will bookmark it and read it at work tonight though for sure!
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby garf112 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:14 pm

medium_robin wrote:As usual, Ender chimes in with words of wisdom. Respect!

Ender, did you make your comments before or after you read today's article about Dickey on Fangraphs?!

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.ph ... -velocity/

I think everyone has noticed the velocity is what makes him special. If we are keeping track, I mentioned it on the first page, 6/18 at 8:03 PM. :-b

Nice to see that article confirming what we are all seeing.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 39)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers