RA Dickey srsly? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

RA Dickey srsly?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: RA Dickey srsly?

Postby Skin Blues » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:23 am

Izenhart wrote:
Grounded Polo wrote:Wakefield had a great career but come on, he never looked as dominant as Dickey does right now. It's amazing watching this guy change speeds, he can "dial it up" to the low 80s then fool them with a mid 60s knuckler. Can any of the old boys offer up a Niekro vs Dickey comparison? Dickey's control is just spectacular, he does a great job at keeping the ball in the strike zone, you'd think he was more comparable to Cliff Lee just looking at his stat sheet.

I grabbed him on one team, a keeper at that, and nearly shopped him this weekend but decided to see how this goes. I've had the worst luck trading in that league and figure I have nothing to lose.

I watched Wakefield almost every game that year he dominated the league and yes he was just as good as Dickey for a stretch early in the season. Wakefield's second half numbers cambe back to earth a bit, I'm guessing Dickey will too.

I'd like to see a game log with Wakefield even coming close to this. I can't think of anybody, actually, that's been this good over a 6 game span. 48 IP, 63 Ks, 5 BBs, 1 ER. Verlander didn't even come close to that last season. Maybe Strasburg... but still, this is very rare.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 150)
Home Cafe: Baseball

RA Dickey srsly?

Postby lastingsgriller » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:20 am

You just named half the MLB. I think the only thing this proves is that MLB offenses are not great in general.

Another point that must be mentioned is that this is nothing new and not just a hot streak. He has given up 4+ runs just once in his last 36 starts.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 167)

RA Dickey srsly?

Postby lastingsgriller » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:23 am

SpecialFNK wrote:maybe we need to look at WHO Dickey has faced this season.
Baltimore - 0 ER
@Tampa Bay- 0 ER
@Washington. 0 ER
St.Louis - 0 ER
San Diego - 0 ER
@Pittsburgh - 1 ER
Cincinnati - 3 ER
@Miami - 2 ER
Arizona - 1 ER
@Houston - 3 ER
Miami - 1 ER
@Atlanta - 8 ER
@Philadelphia - 1 ER
Atlanta - 2 ER

not exactly great offensive lineups?
I wonder how many people had him but then dropped him after his 8 ER game in Atlanta.

he could be due for a big test in his next start when he pitches at home against the Yankees.

You just named half the MLB. I think the only thing this proves is that MLB offenses are not great in general.

Another point that must be mentioned is that this is nothing new and not just a hot streak. He has given up 4+ runs just once in his last 36 starts.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 167)

Postby silverZ » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:54 am

This is one of the most ridiculous runs I've ever seen from a SP. 8-o How many pitchers can come close? I remember Jimenez had a similar run in the first half of '10. Peavy had one back with the Padres a few years ago. Greinke had a good run in his CY season.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby Mr November » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:24 am

Not getting Dickey is going to be the biggest mistake I made all year. It was a Thursday and saw that he was on the WW, was eying him, and saw that he was facing SD on the Sunday. However, for some stupid reason, I figured I'd just wait until Sunday and grab him, because I was dropping a batter for him and wanted to milk a few extra days of possible starts. Stupid, stupid, stupid. :-t
Mr November
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Postby converge241 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:47 am

Just saw a trade built around him as the focal point for Miguel Cabrera (it wasnt 1 for 1 but the Cabrera owner came looking for Dickey speciffically)
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 98)

RA Dickey srsly?

Postby medium_robin » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:05 am

This kind of thing happens to knuckleballers from time to time. Ex-Tiger Steve Sparks had a great year in 2001 going 14-9 for a terrible Tigers team that year. But he was a one-year wonder. I'm not saying Dickey is that. Just that knuckleballers don't generally have a long history of success and are more prone to fluke years like this.
medium_robin
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 21)

Re: Re: RA Dickey srsly?

Postby garf112 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:04 pm

medium_robin wrote:This kind of thing happens to knuckleballers from time to time. Ex-Tiger Steve Sparks had a great year in 2001 going 14-9 for a terrible Tigers team that year. But he was a one-year wonder. I'm not saying Dickey is that. Just that knuckleballers don't generally have a long history of success and are more prone to fluke years like this.

The only knuckleballer that you can compare dickey to is Phil Niekro right now. Look at the k/9 and bb/9. No knuckleballer, including Niekro, is even close nor have they EVER had a stretch this good. People are crazy thinking he is a one year wonder... he's already been good for three.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 39)

RA Dickey srsly?

Postby medium_robin » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:08 pm

garf112 wrote:The only knuckleballer that you can compare dickey to is Phil Niekro right now. Look at the k/9 and bb/9. No knuckleballer, including Niekro, is even close nor have they EVER had a stretch this good. People are crazy thinking he is a one year wonder... he's already been good for three.

That's why somebody will take him in the 3rd round next year and he won't be on my team. He's been good for a while but not super fantasy-worthy unless you're in a deep league until recently.
medium_robin
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 21)

Postby garf112 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:38 pm

Depends on the format of the league. Our league has a 1400 ip limit and is 5X5 so k rate is really important. In an nl only or a 4x4 (does anyone still play that without Ks?) or a deeper league or a league without an ip limit, he was valuable for the last two years. His increased K rate makes him elite right now. Even if his K rate goes down to 6.5/ 9, he has value going forward. I highly doubt he will be drafted in the third round next year.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 39)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers