RA Dickey srsly? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

RA Dickey srsly?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

RA Dickey srsly?

Postby Padsin05 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:21 pm

is he the best pitcher in baseball right now? I added him 2 months ago, and he has been unreal, now my thought, is he just hot, or is this something he can continue, as of right now, Im seriously thinking of this guy long term as a keeper maybe, as a knuckler with his command he might pitch into his mid 40's with ease. Hes 37 currently, but after watching MLB network do a piece on him, I dont see why it cant continue
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: RA Dickey srsly?

Postby juliown1028 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:45 pm

I unfortunately don't have him in any leagues but he has got to be the master of the knuckleball, like a 2nd coming of Phil Niekro. Of course putting him on the level of Niekro is unjustified considering Dickey has only been effective for like 3 years, but with how good Dickey is doing, at his current level of production, he is matching Niekro's best single season production as well.

I'm not a Mets fan, don't own in him any leagues, but its pretty awesome watching this 37 year old dude come out of nowhere and dominate. Considering how he's mastered the knuckleball, even though he's had a late start to his career he may be able to pitch for the next 10 years effectively since his arm won't wear down like those hard ball throwers.
"Chuck Norris has been known to throw a baseball 100 mph. I've been known to throw Chuck Norris 100 mph." - Brian Wilson
juliown1028
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Saltydog » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:53 pm

Tim Wakefield did this for the Red Sox in 1995.

Something like 15 straight starts with a win or something like that. It was nuts.
Saltydog
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 143)

Postby garf112 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:03 pm

Crazy part is that he averages 77 mph on it and has thrown it as slow as 53 this year. Watching him pitch is amazing. He can probably keep pitching through his mid 40s.

Wakefield never struck out 1/ ip nor did he ever walk as few as Dickey is right now.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)

Postby Skin Blues » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:09 pm

Wakefield was never remotely close to this good. It's ridiculous, and all the underlying stats say it ain't a fluke.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:17 pm

Watching him pitch is the most fun I have watching baseball right now. It's great. As I type this his no hitter was just broken up. He has the stuff every night though it seems this season and it's absolutely great.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby Grounded Polo » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:18 pm

Wakefield had a great career but come on, he never looked as dominant as Dickey does right now. It's amazing watching this guy change speeds, he can "dial it up" to the low 80s then fool them with a mid 60s knuckler. Can any of the old boys offer up a Niekro vs Dickey comparison? Dickey's control is just spectacular, he does a great job at keeping the ball in the strike zone, you'd think he was more comparable to Cliff Lee just looking at his stat sheet.

I grabbed him on one team, a keeper at that, and nearly shopped him this weekend but decided to see how this goes. I've had the worst luck trading in that league and figure I have nothing to lose.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby garf112 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:29 pm

I think I saw Niekro pitch at the VERY end of his career when I was pretty young.

Found one video of him. Looks like he maybe had more movement on the pitch, but less control and, I'm guessing, less velocity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDOQLL9uBo0
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)

Postby clarkw267 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:34 pm

When you have a knuckler coming in at 80 MPH with absolutely no spin, you don't have a chance.

He's just unreal right now.
clarkw267
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 10)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:43 pm

He now has 8 or more Ks in 7 straight starts. :-L
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers