Haren/Hanley for Sandoval/Craig? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Haren/Hanley for Sandoval/Craig? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Haren/Hanley for Sandoval/Craig? WHIR

Postby KSChris » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:32 pm

In a 16 team h2h keeper league. 10 keepers per team.

The deal being discussed is me sending Haren/Hanley, and receiving Pablo Sandoval/Allen Craig.

Pablo Sandoval is $3, and Allen Craig is $7... whereas Haren/Hanley combined are $81.

My team, with keeper values and likely keepers (so far) in bold:

C Yadier Molina $24
1B Prince Fielder $26
2B Ian Kinsler $33

3B Hanley Ramirez $45
SS Alcides Escobar $1
OF Hunter Pence $8
OF Adam Jones $28
OF Justin Upton $4
UT David Ortiz $2
BN Martin Prado $27
BN Angel Pagan $4
BN Brandon Moss $1

DL Emilio Bonifacio $1

SP Felix Hernandez $21
SP Dan Haren $36
SP Adam Wainwright $10
SP Jeremy Hellickson $1

SP Kyle Lohse $3
SP Scott Diamond $1
SP Carlos Zambrano $3
SP Josh Beckett $23
SP Dylan Bundy $1

DL Jered Weaver $44
DL Jaime Garcia $16

I do have Jered Weaver coming off the DL soon, to help alleviate the loss of Haren.. I traded some prospects (Shelby Miller/Tyler Skaggs) for him while he was on the DL, so he would technically be a brand new addition to my rotation once healthy, which would offset the loss of Haren.

Should I take this deal?
Last edited by KSChris on Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KSChris
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Haren/Hanley for Sandoval/Craig? WHIR

Postby onitapgr » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:39 pm

Yeah, I would do this.
onitapgr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby KSChris » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:02 pm

I'm not giving up too much, am I?

I was worried because Sandoval/Craig are kind of unknown quantities having spent so much time on the sidelines this season with injuries, and at least in Pablo's case he doesn't seem to be producing much since returning, even though he's hitting over .300.
KSChris
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby mcmbpd » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:26 pm

I don't know, it seems like you are giving up an awful lot here and getting minimal value in return. I like Craig's potential and that's a great keeper price...but he seems to have a great deal of difficulty staying on the field. If he could ever stay healthy I honestly think you're looking at a guy with Utley of old potenial here. Sandoval isn't much of anything imo. I've never been a big fan of his and aside from him also spending several stints on the DL his production leaves alot to be desired as you've already seen since his return...you can also throw in the fact that SF has been all over him about his weight issues and his off the field activities. I believe I also heard something during the broadcast of the Giants game the other day saying he's still dealing with some problems related to the hamate bone injury. Those are a real pain in the a** if you've ever had one, and swinging a bat only tends to aggravate the problem and prolong the injury. With all that said Ramirez hasn't exactly been lighting it up and his struggles from last year seem to have followed him into the 2012 season. I also like him more at a $29 range...Haren at about a $24 range. So you'd definitely be opening up some salary space with this move that's for sure. Your rotation looks pretty sweet, and I like it better with Haren than without him. So unless you are looking to clear up some $ here I just don't see how this deal benefits your squad. I think you'd be better served staying put with what you have. Does this guy have any good OFs to exchange in a trade? cuz that's the only weakness I really see on your team at this point bro
"Baseball is ninety percent mental. The other half is physical." --Yogi Berra
mcmbpd
College Coach
College Coach

Postby KSChris » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:31 pm

Everything you just said is what I was worried about too. But I'm trying to juggle trying to compete this year, while also getting keeper salary down for the future... had a really rough last couple weeks, with my entire team being in a slump, which has only made me more panicky. Which is why I want to double check and make sure I don't make any dumb moves out of panic.

He's got:

Andrew McCutchen
Carlos Beltran
Chris Young
Allen Craig
Dexter Fowler
KSChris
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby mcmbpd » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:40 pm

Ok, let's try and get Clutchy from this guy instead. Right now we know his heart in this trade lies with Haren. I had Haren down for 15-10, 200+ Ks to 40 BBs, a 3.30 ERA, and a 1.10 WHIP...so by those predictions he's slightly underperforming. This guy really wants those stats and is hoping for that slight increase in production as well...Ramirez is a total gamble for him at this point, especially with that $45 price tag. So maybe we can squeeze him for Clutchy instead...tell him you don't like Sandoval at all and aren't sure he's fully recovered from the hand injury...and that the only way you can make this fair for your side is if he gives up Clutchy and Craig instead. Try that out and we'll see if his heart(Haren) will allow him to overpay in return.
"Baseball is ninety percent mental. The other half is physical." --Yogi Berra
mcmbpd
College Coach
College Coach

Postby onitapgr » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:49 pm

onitapgr wrote:Yeah, I would do this.

I like Sandoval...he broke his 2 hamate bones...pretty fluky injuries. I think his 2009/2011 stats are what you can expect from him for the next few years (aka a top 5 3b)

Craig is solid, but not spectacular. I'd probably rather have a cheap SP, but Craig is a good keeper.

Hanley and Haren are not keepable at those prices...I would do the trade
onitapgr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby shareef » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:06 pm

I don't necessarily think you're losing, but personally, I'm not that high on Pablo. If you get him to replace Pablo with McCutchen, then it's a super deal for you.
Then again, the prices of your originals are really high, so I think you'll still be serving your team well after the original offer, even if Pablo is still included.
shareef
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby KSChris » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:27 pm

Pricing is secondary to me.

I think I have a good enough team to compete this year. So I don't want to do the trade if the only upside to it is freeing up a ton of money.

My initial thought was mainly in regards to Pablo Sandoval being a good 3B keeper option for only $3.. but I'm seeing a lot of people are down on him here, so I dunno. Without him in the deal, I don't know if I would trade Hanley because then I would be left with a mediocre Martin Prado at 3B.

I don't think he's giving up McCutchen, either, because the initial offer I sent was Haren/Prado for Pablo/Craig and he said that was too steep for him. So he clearly values his players highly, and I think he just acquired Beltran to fill out his OF. He's also got David Wright at 3B, and Tulowitzki on the DL but on SS when he gets back..

So the general feeling I'm getting is that it's not a good deal in terms of helping my team this year, but it's a good deal in terms of keepers.. is that right?
KSChris
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby jfg » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:43 pm

Are you contending this year? I would like to see at least a top prospect added on to the trade. Not necessarily a Trout or Harper, but maybe a Rizzo, Myers or Profar. Also, I think for those two, you could find a contender who can give you better players for the future. You're throwing in the towel, but when you do that, you better be putting future cornerstones in place and Sandoval and Craig aren't future cornerstones, just nice pieces to place around your top players.

Edit; Just saw the last post where you said you are competing this year. I'd go no for sure than as the deal stands right now.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 86)

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions