who should i keep? for next year? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

who should i keep? for next year?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

who should i keep? for next year?

Postby ratking20 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:27 pm

im already playing for next year
these are my keeper possibilities

5x5 roto auction with contracts

ackley 9
braun 43
mccutchen 23
harper 11
ellsbury 28
pagan 8
gardner 17

marcum 12
norris 6
billingsley 9
ratking20
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 39)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: who should i keep? for next year?

Postby MaudDib » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:01 pm

Well it is still early to worry too much about this. What Ellsbury does could make him a keeper but need to see what he does when he comes back.

How many teams? How many keepers? And is this next years salary? Braun is $43, is this typical for stud hitters? What did Miggy cost?

Right now Harper and McCutchen are probably the easy picks but need to have more info.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby ratking20 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:26 pm

12 team 260 cap
mcab was 42 this year, braun was 40, can 36, fielder 35, pujols 43, kemp 34
can keep 4-8 players. can sign for 3 years after bought in auction. +5 first year +3 then +2
trying to trade for next year
working on trout but i doubt i can get him
maybe dump braun for some cheaper keepers
can get players like t.bauer, d.jennings, fowler, and some others cheap
ratking20
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MaudDib » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:44 pm

Well Braun is still a good keeper at that price. Usually you want to have guys who are cheap compared to other guys with similar stats but higher price tags but 1st round talent is still generally needed.

If you can deal Braun, you better get a lot in return and not just flyer guys. Bauer would be alright but he is likely to have some bumps as most rookie's do. Jennings would be alright as well. Just don't get too many of these mid-tier guys that might still have a few years before they get it going.

I might look at the owner with Justin Upton and see if you can get him and another keeper or two. I still think Upton will be a top 10 player for years and now would be great time to get him. Not sure what his price tag is though. Another though would be Strasburg. A lot of people are concerned about his innings limit so if you can get him for cheap and another keeper that would be very nice. I just like the idea of getting an already proven player rather than a bunch of guys who still have some growing pains. Lastly Hosmer and Lawrie would be top options as I think they both will be stars and can still show it this year.

Right now you have McCutchen, Harper and Braun as keepers. Marcum and Pagan are on the fence and could go either way. Too early to really decide. After that I don't really see anything I would keep at this moment in time. But so much ball is still left to play that anything could change.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby ratking20 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:16 pm

i signed ackley for 3 years so im keeping him. 6 this year 9 next and 11 the year after
i signed harper for 3 years. 8 this year 11 next year and 13 the year after
i just traded fielder at 40 dollars for mccutchen. and can keep him next year for one year at 23
i signed ellsbury for 3 years. 25 this year. 28 next and 30 the year after
i also got gardner in the fielder trade. can keep him for one more year at 17
pagan i dont like but hes on fire. we'll see if hes worth 8 for next year
if norris keeps it up i like him at 6. i think hes under-rated. high k's

braun i wanted to trade along with some other guys i have that are at the end of thier contract. i figure i can get braun back for the same price or less. i also have zimmerman, jeter, felix hernandez, and ichiro maybe that i can trade away for some keepers

marcum we'll see. i like him though

im new to this auction/contract leagues so its tough to figure it out right now. realizing how cheap u can get guys at the end of the auction is the biggest thing i have to realize for next year

i can drop a guy if hes still under contract but it will cost myself 20 bucks per player(real money)
ratking20
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jfg » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:41 pm

If I'm understanding you right and it costs $20 per player to drop them in contract it doesn't make sense to cut a player. Even if you have a $40 guy who's been terrible, 99% of the time I'd gamble $20 that he'll at least perform at a $20 level. And it makes no sense to cut anybody under $20 since you'd basically paying their replacement their value plus $20. Right?
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby jfg » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:46 pm

I guess the only reason I see to cut players is if you are cleaning house and playing for a couple years down the road.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby ratking20 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:56 pm

i dont plan on cutting anyone. but i could trade braun away and get rid of that big contract. i just did it with fielder and got mccutchen for a cheaper contract. if i do cut a player, it doesnt cost me any money against my salary. it cost me 20 bucks that i pay to the commissioner that goes in the money pool. 20 dollars real money. on top of the 300 we pay each season toward prizes.

i can sign a player that i bought during auction at the end of that season for 3 more years(so technically u can have em for 4)
if i get a player for a dollar say. i can sign him for 1,2, or 3 years. add five for first year, 3 for second, 2 for last year

i currently have these players under contract:
ackley(bought last year for 1) signed for 3 years... so 6 this year, 9 next and 11 final year
braun(bought for 35) signed 3 years... 40 this year, 43 next, 45 last
ellsbury(bought for 20) signed for 3... 25 this year, 28 next 30 last
harper(bought for 3) signed for 3... 8 this year, 11 next, 13 last

i had fielder(bought for 30) signed for 2... so 35 this year and 38 next and thats his last
he was shipped out and got
mccutchen who was 21 this year. and his last year/next year will cost me 23

zimmerman and felix hernandez are in thier last year so im looking to move them to get someone good i can keep
i can trade for someone in their last year of contract and keep for 1 more year ... for +5 dollars(and that can happen only once)
ratking20
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions