what's jeff conine worth to you? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

what's jeff conine worth to you?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

what's jeff conine worth to you?

Postby sinicalypse » Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:08 pm

on one of my standard 5x5 yahoopubleagues i've got the jeff conine issue going on at first base.

i was able to get paul konerko off of the free agent list early on in the year, and as the season progresses i'm more inclined to give konerko a chance before conine. i'm banking on konerko not being badkonerko of the 2nd half of '02, (or even '01 for that matter) or for the first half of last year, i'm banking on him being solidkonerko, a guy who can do .280/25/95 pretty surely. i think that having ordonez thomas and lee in front of him (possibly lee ordonez and thomas) is going to give him plenty of rbi ops, and if joe crede balloons to a 25/100 type guy, then konerko's got protection and i think he'll get a few more pitches to hit because crede isn't a sure out behind him (and if olivo can pull out a .280 year with decent power crede isnt that bad off either)

so if that didn't sell you konerko, i've got the other option that autodraft picked for me: jeff conine. you see, i think i fleeced myself ebcause i had derrek lee, but i traded him for eric chavez (wanted to lock down 3b, figuring i could get a solid 1B replacement easier than a 3B one, someone like konerko)... so now the only backup i've got for pauly is conine... but i don't relaly want him.

tho i've noticed him being on a team in all 3 of my leagues. he seems to be a 80+ rbi guy with regularity, however he seems like a 15 homer guy... 20 looked to be a career type year for him... and he's still in FLA with that notorious pitchers park to hit in... so is conine worth a spot on my team? sure leaving 1B not backed up esp with a not-sure-thing like konerko is risky, but i'd rather roll the dice on a hot SP and get one more arm in the rotation...

i just don't want to make a mistake that i'd regret later by dropping conine. so is jeff conine worth anything to you, or do you just cut him even for the likes of a jon garland tomo ohka carl pavano or jason dubose, aka someone who has upside and has had a good spring.
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Apr 03, 2004 2:20 pm

Conine gives you nothing that you cannot pick off the waiver wire any day of the season in most leagues.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby Madison » Sat Apr 03, 2004 2:21 pm

In a 12 team league, Conine doesn't have any fantasy value for me.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby KolbSaves » Sat Apr 03, 2004 2:31 pm

a crisp dill pickle and a bag of bbq chips
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby whitesox04champs » Sat Apr 03, 2004 3:30 pm

Madison wrote:In a 12 team league, Conine doesn't have any fantasy value for me.

I was just about to say that!
whitesox04champs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers