Beachy hits the DL, Who to drop? WHIR ALWAYS - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Beachy hits the DL, Who to drop? WHIR ALWAYS

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Beachy hits the DL, Who to drop? WHIR ALWAYS

Postby ahcryky » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:33 am

ATLbraves wrote:
ahcryky wrote:Who are you dropping these players for? If you drop Berkman and someone were to pick him up, is he still a 3rd round keeper next year?

Help with mine? viewtopic.php?f=26&t=449092

I would be dropping Berkman, then move Beachy to the DL and probably just use that extra roster spot to stream a pitcher until Beachy comes back.

And yes, Berkman would still be a 3rd round keeper next year. Even if he is added and dropped multiple times.

A lot of ifs here....... I don't see Berkman as really needed on your team. And definitely worth a 3rd round keeper. Your OF is good, you have Victorino on your bench, and the rest of your OF I don't see as injury risks. Beachy might not be worth a roster/keeper spot after his MRI. You might want to wait out the results. And I would have no problem in dropping Viciedo for a streamer at this time.
ahcryky
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ATLbraves » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:37 am

ahcryky wrote:
ATLbraves wrote:
ahcryky wrote:Who are you dropping these players for? If you drop Berkman and someone were to pick him up, is he still a 3rd round keeper next year?

Help with mine? viewtopic.php?f=26&t=449092

I would be dropping Berkman, then move Beachy to the DL and probably just use that extra roster spot to stream a pitcher until Beachy comes back.

And yes, Berkman would still be a 3rd round keeper next year. Even if he is added and dropped multiple times.

A lot of ifs here....... I don't see Berkman as really needed on your team. And definitely worth a 3rd round keeper. Your OF is good, you have Victorino on your bench, and the rest of your OF I don't see as injury risks. Beachy might not be worth a roster/keeper spot after his MRI. You might want to wait out the results. And I would have no problem in dropping Viciedo for a streamer at this time.

Yeah I definitely see what you are saying about me not needing another OF'er. I am not a big fan of Victorino though, so I might just wait it out and see how Berkman does once he gets healthy. And then attempt to trade Victorino for a draft pick next year. I believe I can handle the loss in speed since I have Kipnis, Reyes, and McCutchen. Plus A-Rod is stealing more bases this year.

The only reason why I am holding on to Viciedo is because he has great keeper value. He could be kept in the 18th round next year. I also really like Viciedo's power potential.

Free Fantasy Consultant - https://twitter.com/FantasyChat247

Twitter - @FantasyChat247
ATLbraves
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 325)

Postby kaiser » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:01 pm

I'd drop Berkman, but only because Pineda will have more value going into next year's draft. In a non-keeper, I hold Berk and drop Pineda.

I do think it would be best for you to wait a day or two and see what happens with the MRI. Decent chance that you will be able to drop Beachy.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 431)

Postby guyincognito » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:38 pm

If you are going to drop someone it would be Berkman. You are not going to keep him and you have no idea if he's even going to come back or how he will be if/when he comes back. You have a need now, so you can't hang onto Berkman for him to potentially help you down the line, when you don't even know if you are going to be "in it" at that point. You need to focus on your teams needs now and worry about august when you get to august.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=449091
guyincognito
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 53)

Postby ATLbraves » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:48 pm

kaiser wrote:I'd drop Berkman, but only because Pineda will have more value going into next year's draft. In a non-keeper, I hold Berk and drop Pineda.

I do think it would be best for you to wait a day or two and see what happens with the MRI. Decent chance that you will be able to drop Beachy.

Well I cant drop Beachy either because he has great keeper value in my league as well. I will get to keep him in the 19th round next year.

ATLbraves
General Manager
General Manager

Postby midwestpatsfan » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:05 pm

I wrote earlier, but will do it again, because it doesn't seem to be on there and I promised I would respond.

Most post this morning covered what I originally wrote(who would you pick up, if you drop and pick up a guy does he maintain his keeper value) so I do not have really anything new to add.

What I said is if you feel there is a guy who can help you for the next 2 weeks, I would not have any issue with dropping Berkman. You may be able to pick him up later. If you lose him, it really is only a half season you would lose since you would not have kept him anyways, and in keeper league it is a marathon, not a sprint.
midwestpatsfan
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 11)

Postby thirdeyez » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:12 pm

Honestly, if you're in second place right now, I don't think there's any real question. You're in a keeper league and you're playing for the playoffs. I agree that Berkman would be my choice if you dropped someone, but I really don't think there's any need for that. He might come back awful, he might come back on fire. You never know, and there's no reason to give up on finding out for temporary pitching help that won't be helping you at the end of the season.
thirdeyez
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 3)

Postby wazzeus » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:02 pm

Berkman since it's a keeper league; otherwise I'd say Pineda. I think his value is being overstated by some on this thread. Yankee Stadium is no Safeco, and I'll be shocked if he posts a post-injury ERA below 4.00 next year.

I don't see Berkman doing much the rest of this season. The Cardinals have too many options, which will hurt his playing time even when healthy -- "healthy" being relative in Puma's case.

Thanks for helping on mine.
wazzeus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby mcmbpd » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:30 pm

I think your original thought was definitely the best one. Dropping Berkman is the right choice given Pinieda's value in his keeper slot for next year, even though there is no real guarantee that Pinieda will return to form given the track record of pitchers with that type of injury...he might not be right until 2014. With that said, I still think Berkman is the right move in that scenario. Here is another thought though that might not havecrossed your mind, instead of dropping Berkman or staying put and waiting to see what happens...how about dropping Hanson for another pitcher? I think Hanson is due for a big regression and is clearly the weakest starter on your staff imo. What about dropping him, using his slot to stream until Beachy returns? That way you keep Berkman and Pinieda, you'll get Beachy back in a couple weeks, and you'll be able to stream instead of starting Hanson...who might end up just hurting you with his production over the next 2 weeks anyway? Hanson just had 6 BBs and barely got through 5.1 innings against a free swinging O's team that has little plate dicipline (I know as an O's fan), he also absolutely blew up right around the same time last year and had a miserable 2nd half because of that shoulder injury which he NEVER got fixed or had surgery on. We could be seeing the beginning of that bad run right now....so I think that might actually be your best move bro. What do you think about that?
"Baseball is ninety percent mental. The other half is physical." --Yogi Berra
mcmbpd
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)

Postby ATLbraves » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:53 pm

I definitely think you have some good points, but I can't drop Hanson. I am a huge Braves fan and I am still a believer in him. I watched the entire Braves and Orioles game and Hanson was getting some really bad calls from the umpire, so he was getting very frustrated and I think it just got in his head a little bit. I know Hanson isn't quite the pitcher he was pre-injury, but I still believe he has potential this year.

ATLbraves
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions