Ortiz for Sale - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Ortiz for Sale

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ortiz for Sale

Postby Sanshen » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:58 pm

I need pitching and he needs power... Keeper league, with neither being keepers.

League is Roto, 12 man.
Sanshen
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Ortiz for Sale

Postby Element » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:51 pm

I really worry about Sale running out of gas at some point. He's not going to be able to continue to carry an LOB% of 81%. If you can afford the loss of Ortiz though ... I may do this.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 767)

Postby Sanshen » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:12 pm

Element wrote:I really worry about Sale running out of gas at some point. He's not going to be able to continue to carry an LOB% of 81%. If you can afford the loss of Ortiz though ... I may do this.

Thank you for the reply... I'm worried about his running out of gas as well as being put on an inning count, but I really need pitching and don't want to give up any of my big bats (keepers) for it.

I was also wondering, what are peoples thoughts on Sale being keeper worthy for next year.
Sanshen
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby jfg » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:46 pm

How many players do you keep? He's definitely a keeper in most leagues. I'm torn on this one if you aren't keeping him. If you trade Ortiz for a lesser pitcher, because you still need pitching, are you going to get better numbers than Sale if he stops pitching or runs out of gas in August? I think it would be close. It comes down to 4 months of an above average pitcher (which is probably what you'd get in return for Ortiz) or 2 months with the potential of more plus keeper potential. I think I'd make the trade.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 86)

Postby Sanshen » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:03 pm

jfg wrote:How many players do you keep? He's definitely a keeper in most leagues. I'm torn on this one if you aren't keeping him. If you trade Ortiz for a lesser pitcher, because you still need pitching, are you going to get better numbers than Sale if he stops pitching or runs out of gas in August? I think it would be close. It comes down to 4 months of an above average pitcher (which is probably what you'd get in return for Ortiz) or 2 months with the potential of more plus keeper potential. I think I'd make the trade.

I do plan on keeping him... wanted to see if others thought the same as I did that he was keeper worthy, which is a bit plus with the trade and gives me more ammo in the off season. We can keep 5 players. as I'm not sure about two of my current, I like this trade when considering next year.
Sanshen
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby mcmbpd » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:23 pm

I like this deal for you considering next year as well. I don't think Big Papi will keep this pace up and he's already eating his way back to the round form that has slowed him down in the past. Red Sox say he's already gained 15 lbs from his slim and trim startng weight at spring training. He's going to hit mid 20 HRs or so, no doubt about that, but at 36 years old I like his regression to continue...and his days of 100+ RBIs, .300+ AVG. are over.

Sale has also concerned me with his complaints of arm "soreness" earlier this season, the innings limitations ect. I alos think he's going to get smacked all over Cellular Field for a few games once the hot and humid days/nights are finally a constant in Chitown. His long term value should be solid though in a keeper league and that alone makes me say yes to this deal.
"Baseball is ninety percent mental. The other half is physical." --Yogi Berra
mcmbpd
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions