Cardinals to acquire stud OF - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Cardinals to acquire stud OF

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Cardinals to acquire stud OF

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:10 am

Okay, not really. They're on the verge of getting Roger Cedeno, according to this site. Suckers!

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qst ... FlZUVFeXk2

If you don't want to register, here's the article:

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. - The Mets are on the verge of ridding themselves of one problem while at the same exploring the possibility of acquiring another.

According to a baseball executive, the Mets are on the verge of trading outfielder Roger Cedeno to the Cardinals and also are considering making an offer for troubled Cleveland outfielder Milton Bradley.

The Mets are asking for very little in exchange for Cedeno, instead preferring to just rid themselves of the outfielder who has been a tremendous disappointment since signing a four-year $18 million deal before the 2002 season. If the deal were made, the Mets would pay most of the $10 million still owed to Cedeno.

The Mets have not yet made an offer for Bradley, who on Thursday walked out of Cleveland's camp after a disagreement with manager Eric Wedge. Indians' general manager Mark Shapiro pledged to trade the outfielder soon.

The Mets think Bradley could help add some spunk to what has been a mostly complacent team this spring.

Though a talented player, Bradley, 25, is considered a bit of a free spirit. Last season he had confrontations with Dodgers' catcher Paul Lo Duca and the Yankees' Jason Giambi. And earlier this year, Bradley was sentenced to three days in jail for driving away from police after being stopped for speeding.

But former teammates Shane Spencer and Ricky Gutierrez characterized the outfielder as a "good guy." Bradley's abilities are certainly not in question. Last year Bradley hit .321 with a .421 on-base percentage.

The Mets have had an initial conversation with Cleveland, but nothing appears imminent at this point. The team doesn't have the approval of owner Fred Wilpon to make a deal.

"I have to get approval from ownership and get things lined up before we go in that direction," said general manager Jim Duquette.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:35 am

Hah! This is wonderful. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby unclepaulie » Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:37 am

Guys hold your poker faces until the deal is done :-) .
Image <-----Meet the "NEW" Mets

"I pity the mind that can only spell a word one way"
-Thomas Jefferson
unclepaulie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: @ your house with my dirty shoes on ya white couch!

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:20 pm

i dont see the cardinals sending anything more than brian hunter to the mets, if he is still on the team, or being willing to pay more than 600k a year for cedeno.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby sinicalypse » Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:32 pm

bad pun of the day: think cedeno is cee-done-yo?

he was a top basestealer in 2001 when he could hit .270-280 and run like mad on le tigre, but it turns out when his average dropped his being on base dropped (see, i am truly a baseball mastermind behold my almighty powers) he got less ops to run, then when he wasnt as sure a thing as he was to steal, they stopped sending him... without his steals, this guy is absolutely nothing worth having on your squad.

he's prolly the most one-dimensional player i've seen in modern baseball, and that one dimension (steal), is dependent on other factors to the point where it's fickle and fades away quickly, as mista ceesdoneyo has proven.
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby Leiter Fan » Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:23 pm

sinicalypse wrote:bad pun of the day: think cedeno is cee-done-yo?

Sorry, that's not a pun.
"One of the teams represents truth, justice, the American way, and underdogs everywhere. The other represents George Steinbrenner!" - U.S. News and World Reports columnist John Leo on the difference between the Mets and the Yankees.
Leiter Fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Amazinz » Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:42 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:i dont see the cardinals sending anything more than brian hunter to the mets, if he is still on the team, or being willing to pay more than 600k a year for cedeno.

I think the Mets are prepared to eat most of Cemento's contract they just want to get him out of town. ;-)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:54 pm

Amazinz wrote:I think the Mets are prepared to eat most of Cemento's contract they just want to get him out of town. ;-)

Why should the Mets eat it when Big Mo could do it for them??

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Amazinz » Sat Apr 03, 2004 5:08 pm

Please no Mo bad jokes. :~(
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Fire-Rescue-Diver » Sat Apr 03, 2004 5:26 pm

"he's prolly the most one-dimensional player i've seen in modern baseball"

Maybe they could use him ala Herb Washington? :-/
Fire-Rescue-Diver
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers