Drop J.Lowrie/I.Desmond/etc for Plouffe? 100% WHIR! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Drop J.Lowrie/I.Desmond/etc for Plouffe? 100% WHIR!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Drop J.Lowrie/I.Desmond/etc for Plouffe? 100% WHIR!

Postby WhipperSnappers44 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:05 pm

Hey all....need help again....still can't figure out what to do since I have non-droppable guys yet there are lots of FA's sitting out there I want and considering Plouffe is on a major tear and just cracked another long ball today I can't take it anymore seeing him sitting on the WW....

I'm in a 12 team H2H league (non-keeper) with 10 CAT scoring....

I am short on pitching also and want to get C.Buchholz on the WW but don't think I can swing it....I think I need to immediately get Plouffe and since he is eligible at SS and like 3-4 other positions he will come in handy anywhere if he keeps this up. Any help would be appreciated and I WHIR if needed....(P.S. I just dropped J.Reddick to the WW in favor of Harper since everyone told me to do that and what happens....Reddick hits a himey today...arrgghhhh...lol)

My team:

C - C.Santana
1B - M.Cabrera
2B - J.Altuve
3B - E.Encarnacion
SS - I.Desmond
OF - C.Granderson
OF - H. Pence
OF - S.Victorino
Util - M.Teixiera
Uti - B.Harper
Bench - A.Jackson
Bench - J.Lowrie
Bench - E.Hosmer
Bench - A.Craig
Bench - B.Zobrist

NOTE: This is not the correct setup as I usually play the matchups/hot hand/etc....but just laying down who I have

Pitching:

G.Gonzalez
T.Hanson
RA Dickey
A.Sanchez
AJ Burnett
J.Johnson (RP)
F.Rodney (RP)
S.Cassilla (RP)

Txs again for the help everyone....so wondering who I drop if anyone for Plouffe and is there anyway to get anymore pitching help (like who to drop) for say C.Buchholz? (Also note....I tried trading but it is very hard unless I take a big hit somewhere since people here like to screw another so that is almost out of the question unless someone can think of a trade I could propose that another would accept immediately)...txs again and WHIR if you need...txs

WhipperSnappers44!!! ;-D ;-D ;-D
WhipperSnappers44
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 24)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Drop J.Lowrie/I.Desmond/etc for Plouffe? 100% WHIR!

Postby Element » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:13 pm

I would drop Lowrie for Plouffe. I would not drop any of your current players for Buchholz.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 968)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby WhipperSnappers44 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:28 pm

so drop Lowrie over Desmond? I can also dro Craig/Altuve/Zobrist since they all play 2B (Zob and Craig also play OF though) or do I keep my team as is and keep Pouffe on the WW?

Thxs again!

Whippersnappers44!!! ;-D ;-D ;-D
WhipperSnappers44
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SpecialFNK » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:41 pm

that looks tough. Desmond/Lowrie/Plouffe all seem like they could be around the same. all have power, but I wouldn't expect a good AVG with any of them.
my first thought was I would rather have Lowrie/Desmon over Plouffe and that Plouffe is just going through a hot streak. but Plouffe did have good power numbers coming up through the minors.
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/ ... or-Plouffe
my only concern would be if Plouffe can maintain regular playing time.

I think I would have to go with dropping Lowrie. he dropped off hard last year after his hot start. Lowrie can offer some power but not a good AVG, but also not much speed. Desmond can offer some power, but he also adds speed.

help?
viewtopic.php?t=448942
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 513)

Postby mcmbpd » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:51 pm

I'd dropped Desmond out of that group, he continues to be disappointing season after season. I also agree with the previous poster on Lowrie, he's an option too in my mind...still like dropping Desmond more though. I grabbed Plouffe a few days ago and I've been extremely happy ever since. I don't thin he will keep this torrid pace up, but I'd ride the hot hand while you can...he'll still povide similar humbers to the players you would potenially drop even after he cools down. Go for it...I wouldn't necessarily add Buchholz either. What other SPs are out there? Giveme like 10-15 and I'll let you know what I think...cuz you've gotta get rid of Hanson too bro before he explodes, he's a ticking time bomb and you don't want him goin off while he's in your rotation. Give me some help with mine too please

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=448934&p=3537791#p3537791

once you help me out send me that list of SPs and we'll see what we can find for you
"Baseball is ninety percent mental. The other half is physical." --Yogi Berra
mcmbpd
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)

Postby OBPlover » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:35 pm

I wouldn't drop Lowrie for Plouffe.

A few weeks ago, it was Lowrie who was on a tear and Homering in 3 straight games (4 out of 6) then he cooled off. Plouffe will cool off too. Both are good though so when we compare we need to nickel and dime.

First Lowrie plays in a better hitter's park, and somewhat better when it comes to hitting HR's which is critical for fantasy.

Second Lowrie will hit 2-4 in the batting order, where as Plouffe will probably bat no higher than 6 as Mauer-Willingham-Morneau seem to be staples at 3-4-5. The drop down in batting order will cost Ploufe some RBI/R chances for his counting stats.

I'd go with Plouffe only if I was carrying a team of injury prone players as his flexibility would have greater value.

Ian Desmond only if you needed Stolen bases.
OBPlover
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 244)

Postby WhipperSnappers44 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:50 pm

Ok....so now I am more confused then ever...I have some here for dropping Lowrie, some for dropping I.Desmond and some for don't drop at all...

The issue I have with standing PAT is that what if Plouffe continues this madness? I go out everyday and just watch him cracking the long ball and am like dang...I could have had him in there and so how long does one wait to see if/when he cools down? (when someone else decides to wake up and grab him and then I look back going arrgghhhh...I could have had him)? I just don't want to pass him up if he continues to hit like this and even though most say it's impossible....nothing is impossible so....

I like J.Lowrie and I was all smiles when he was riding the hot streak and now that he has cooled off it is disappointing but he will go hot again soon enough (he's gone hot and cold several times already this season) so it's tough to drop him but from past seasons and injury proneness it makes it a little easier decision just not so sure yet...

With I.Desmond...he has been quite cooled off lately (except for the HR he just hit the other day) but he is pretty reliable for consistency, health and playing time thus far and contributes in other CATS so.....

Dang...this is tough and I might just sit and wait 1 more day and see what Plouffe does but it is hard in case someone else picks him up....sucks when you have nobody to really drop....(BTW...I can drop someone else if anyone see's anyone else)?

BTW.....here are the FA's I have noticed on the WW (Off and SP's)

OFF - J.Reddick, T. Plouffe, B.Belt, A.Rios, D.Fowler, J.Morneau, C.Headley, J.Kubel, L.Morrison, R.Ibanez

SP - C.Lewis, C.Buchholz, S.Diamond, J.Vargas, M.Harrison, F.Doubront, J.Niese, J.Samardzija, U.jimenez, E.Santana, R.Nolasco, T.Milone, G.Floyd

Txs again everyone.....

WhipperSnappers44!!! ;-D ;-D ;-D
WhipperSnappers44
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby guyincognito » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:38 am

I would either stand pat or drop Desmond. Lowrie has been keeping it up for a while now, so I think he should continue to hit well (until he gets injured of course). Desmond is inconsistent and has burned me in the past, so I'm not a fan. That said, I've seen Plouffe show flashes last year, but eventually it tailed off. He's on a hot streak right now, but he will cool off at some point. It sounds to me like you feel you need to make this move no matter what, so drop Desmond. As the other post said, all 3 will probably end up with similar numbers when all is said and done, so you really can't go wrong here.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=448946
guyincognito
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 52)

Postby mcmbpd » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:22 pm

Well I can understand you reluctance on Plouffe, I've had him since last week so he's already procuded a great amount of HRs and extrabase hits for me to justify his addition...if you wait long enough almost every player will go into a lump, or "cool off."

As far as offenive players go I'd keep my eye on Fowler, and Belt. I think bopth of them could be primed for big 2nd halfs, especially Belt if he gets everyday playing time. I think Kubel is having a good year and might be able to help your team as well.

AS faras starters go I think you have much better options than Buchholz...J. Niese, T. Milone, Harrison, Dubront, and Samardzija are all potenially worth owning at this point. In fact, I'd drop Hanson for Niese right this second. Niese's overall numbers will be far above where Hanson finishes imo. Keep an eye on the others and make additions as their performance dictates.
"Baseball is ninety percent mental. The other half is physical." --Yogi Berra
mcmbpd
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions