Ortiz for Justin Upton? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Ortiz for Justin Upton?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ortiz for Justin Upton?

Postby st3v3k4hn » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:06 pm

I'm in a fairly deep, non-keeper H2H league with daily changes (up to 6 adds per week). We use 8 fielders+ 2 Util hitters + 8 Pitchers + 6 bench slots + 3 DL slots, standard 5x5 categories. I'm doing pretty well (3rd of 10) but looking to improve. I'm wondering if its a good idea to sell high on Ortiz and buy low on Upton? I know Upton's owner is tired of him but Upton was originally rated way higher than Ortiz so even tho Ortiz has produced he may not take this offer. If he doesn't take Ortiz I was thinking of maybe offering Bruce or Butler. Opinions? It all depends on whether or not Upton bounces back...

Side note: I sort of hate having 2 DHs on the roster and would love to get rid of at least one of them...

C Miguel Montero
1B Konerko
2B Pedroia
3B Beltre
SS Jed Lowrie
OF Victorino, Jay Bruce, Willingham,
Util David Ortiz, Billy Butler
Bench Reddick, Plouffe
DL Ellsbury, Bonifacio

SP - Lester, Hellickson, Lynn, Garza, Harrison, Daniel Hudson, Buchholz; (DL: Jered Weaver, Brandon Morrow)
RP - Rafael Betancourt, Frieri, Casilla
st3v3k4hn
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 18)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Ortiz for Justin Upton?

Postby Element » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:47 pm

If the other owner is that tired of Upton shoot him an email and get him to make the first offer. Maybe it would cost less than Ortiz. If not, I would still move Ortiz for him w/o question.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 968)

Postby MaudDib » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:47 pm

Love the deal of Ortiz for Upton. Could be a huge win for you and I am still a believer in Upton. I would probably do Butler or Bruce but don't love it nearly as much.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 466)

Postby smitty10j » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:51 pm

I would make the trade Ortiz for upton, I think Upton is going to turn it around this season, if that is not accepted, i would try to trade butler next, I might even like to trade butler for upton better but its pretty dang close. And i think if it came down to it, I would probably do the bruce for upton as well, but as a last resort.

help me out
viewtopic.php?t=448931
smitty10j
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby st3v3k4hn » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:43 am

Thanks for the help all, i'll try tomorrow...
st3v3k4hn
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby kaiser » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:42 am

smitty10j wrote:I would make the trade Ortiz for upton, I think Upton is going to turn it around this season, if that is not accepted, i would try to trade butler next, I might even like to trade butler for upton better but its pretty dang close. And i think if it came down to it, I would probably do the bruce for upton as well, but as a last resort.

help me out
viewtopic.php?t=448931

I think Smitty has it just about right. Ortiz first, then Butler. Bruce as a last resort.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 428)

Postby st3v3k4hn » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:50 pm

Having second thoughts. Anyone dissuaded by this? http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1221 ... -on/page/2

Also, I'm currently losing SBs because my 2 big stealers (Ellsbury and Bonifacio) are on the DL. Should I bother trying to get someone speedy now or is it ok to wait? Also, Upton doesn't seem to be stealing much - of course he is not doing anything much at the moment. Does that affect the trade decision?
st3v3k4hn
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby BigLen22 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:55 pm

Im astonished that people are seriously suggesting you need to lose ortiz to get justin upton. Ortiz has been a absolute monster this year and its no fluke given the last 2 years he had(let alone his entire career). For someone who goes through so many ups and downs and is lucky to get his avg over .250 and under 150+ k's. Ortiz on other hand looking like hell bat .300 or around again, 30 plus homers and 90-100 rbis.

help plz?
viewtopic.php?t=448966
C Ruiz
1b Smoak
2b Altuve
3b Wright
SS Aviles
OFBruce,Cuddyer,Jennings
UT Ibanez,A.Escobar
B Arenciba/Markakis(DL)/Sandoval(DL)
DL-J.Jay
SP Grienke/J.Santana/Morrow/Haren/Dempster/Nolasco/Lilly(DL)
RP Kimbrel/Myers/F.Rodney
DL-Storen
*2 DL spots
BigLen22
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby MaudDib » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:16 pm

BigLen22 wrote:Im astonished that people are seriously suggesting you need to lose ortiz to get justin upton. Ortiz has been a absolute monster this year and its no fluke given the last 2 years he had(let alone his entire career). For someone who goes through so many ups and downs and is lucky to get his avg over .250 and under 150+ k's. Ortiz on other hand looking like hell bat .300 or around again, 30 plus homers and 90-100 rbis.

help plz?
viewtopic.php?t=448966

You mean Upton who has batted once under .273 and that was his rookie year. You mean Upton who who has been practically a 20/20 each of the last three years. You mean Upton who has ONCE out of four years struck out 150 times. You are quoting stats that he has done once in his short career like they are the norm. This doesn't even account for his age and the likely hood that he is on the upswing of his career.

Ortiz is a good bet for 30 HR (much more than that is too high of expecations a he has only hit more than 30 once since 2007) and mid 90 RBI totals with maybe a .280 BA (again has hit over .300 only once since 2007). But he is 36 years old and with that comes with increased injury risk and an exepectation that he is on the downside of his career.

Upton has the talent to put up a 30/30 season and still very well could do it. We are about a 3rd of the way through the season and a couple hot months could get him there. I am not saying he will do it or you should even expect it but I would be willing to buy him at a price that I think is worth the risk. Odds are pretty good that he and Ortiz will have similar (but different) value the rest of the way but Upton has the upside for and extraordinary second half while Ortiz is pretty much what you see is what you get.

In non-keeper leagues, this kind of deal can push you into championship contention pretty easily if it all breaks right.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 466)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions