Dickey for Harper? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Dickey for Harper?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Dickey for Harper?

Postby Quackman » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:44 pm

this is one of those new yahoo pro leagues. I have harper. Here is my team. This draft was weird b/c everyone went pitching super early. I drafted bats instead and figured id grab closers and a couple good pitchers.

J montero
A. Craig
kinsler
encarnacian
cozart
Cutch
BJ Upton
Melk-man
Bryce harper
Ajax
duda
ben revere
Tulo and Kemp on DL (made a trade for tulo and halladay,,both on DL ugh!)

pitching

Y Garllardo
C. Sale
Aceves
Betancourt
Clippard
Frieri
Janssen
league
Mccarthy
halladay on DL

as you can see,,,not alot of starting pitching,,,Dickey could save my staff i think. Not sure if harper is too much. Any mets guys around,,,is dickey this good?
Quackman
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 64)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Dickey for Harper?

Postby aerrico » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:44 pm

Dickey is phenomenal and has looked untouchable even against good offenses. When Tulo and Kemp come back, you have plenty of speed-power combo guys throughout the lineup. I think I would make this deal.
aerrico
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Postby Junse19 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:51 pm

Dickey has pitched well this season. I give him props as he has continued dominance in the MLB much longer than anyone would've thought. However, I wouldn't trade baseball's phenom for a knuckleballer. Not a chance. There was a pitcher in 1992 who took the MLB by storm and threw an awesome knuckleball. He even helped lead his team to the infamous 1992 NLCS only to fall short. He had a successful career and even pitched in some World Series games but was he a fantasy superstar? No. That pitcher was Tim Wakefield. I'd rather have Harper in the lineup every day for the rest of the year as opposed to a knuckleballer who's elite success probably will not continue.
Junse19
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby ATLbraves » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:06 pm

Is this a keeper or non keeper league?

Free Fantasy Consultant - https://twitter.com/FantasyChat247

Twitter - @FantasyChat247
ATLbraves
General Manager
General Manager

Postby smitty10j » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:18 pm

I wouldn't make the trade, I feel Harper is more valuable than Dickey, I expect Dickeys numbers to come down quite a bit through the rest of the season. I think you can get more for Harper than just Dickey, I think you can trade Harper and be just fine, I just think you can do better than Dickey.

Help me out?
viewtopic.php?t=448931
smitty10j
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Quackman » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:23 pm

ATLbraves wrote:Is this a keeper or non keeper league?

nonkeeper. Im undecided. I asked the guy to leave the offer up for a day or two. I think my offense could survive a harper hit. Id feel better if i knew tulo/kemp would be in the lineup soon but idk. Looks like tulo had a setback.

From what i know Dickey is a bit different of a knuckballer. He throws like 10mph faster than wakefield did. Maybe its why he has such great k numbers. Not sure,,,i wish i watched more mets games i really havent seen him play much.

thanks for the input.
Quackman
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Element » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:16 pm

I just can't bring myself to think that Dickey is going to be one of baseball's best pitchers in the 2nd half.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 789)

Postby Quackman » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:59 am

Element wrote:I just can't bring myself to think that Dickey is going to be one of baseball's best pitchers in the 2nd half.

Im leaning on the side of rejecting. It's yahoo so I have 6 transactions a week. I can at least stream the best matchups like I have been.
Quackman
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Mr November » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:09 am

You can't possibly predict how the knuckle ball will be the rest of the year. I doubt Dickey can either. Stay away.

Transcribed from my GNex
Mr November
College Coach
College Coach

Postby aerrico » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:22 am

For all those who are speaking as if this is Dickey's first year being solid, I would like to bring up his numbers since joining the Mets in 2010.

2010: 2.84 ERA, 1.19 WHIP, 104 Ks in 174 1/3 innings
2011: 3.28 ERA, 1.23 WHIP, 134 Ks in 208 2/3 innings
2012 (so far): 2.20 ERA, 0.94 WHIP, 90 Ks in 90 innings

Before this year, the only thing that was holding Dickey back from being a very solid fantasy pitcher was his strikeout rate, which has skyrocketed this year due to an unbelievable swing and miss rate. His walks are way down and his strikeouts, as well as his swing and miss rate, are way up. One thing that we have to remember is that we can look at Dickey has a "young" pitcher even at 37 years old, as he just recently started throwing the knuckleball. This looks to me like a guy who is finally putting it together and is becoming more comfortable with his "stuff". Also, for those who don't get to watch a ton (or any) Met games, understand that Dickey actually throws two different knuckleballs: He throws a slow knuckleball in the low 70s and then a knuckleball in the mid 80s as well. He has the best location that I've ever seen for a knuckleballer, and even when the ball is over the plate, his ability to change speeds with the knuckleball leads to guys swinging and missing regardless.

That being said, Bryce Harper is obviously an immediate 5 category player in fantasy and is a great young player; but in a non-keeper league, I would feel comfortable making this deal especially considering the other bats that you'd be able to plug in after dealing Harper.
aerrico
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions