Top 50 Countdown: June 14, 2012 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Top 50 Countdown: June 14, 2012

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Top 50 Countdown: June 14, 2012

Postby WebHamster » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:57 am

Round 2 of the Top 50 Countdown is upon us, and there are changes aplenty. With injuries, hot streaks, cold streaks, and more voters and variances, this round of the Countdown will not let you down. We’ve got rookies shooting up the ranks, veterans falling off the board, and general mayhem outside of the top [...]

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/2012 ... 0_0614.php
WebHamster
Service Robot
Service Robot

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 557)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Top 50 Countdown: June 14, 2012

Postby Saltydog » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:49 am

Link to the Google Doc:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... TVVOVpPSlE

Thanks again everyone!
Saltydog
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 143)

Postby Bloody Sox » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:32 am

LOVE the Top 50 list - great job to all involved.

One question though: why leave off DL guys? In some ways I think they are the most important ones to have on the list so you can judge their value.

Keeping with the question "would I trade player X for player Y for the rest of this season?", that still very much applies to the DL guys. I for one know that I'd love to see where people think Longoria and Halladay fall in terms of value.

Just my opinion - thanks for the time and effort. Maybe I'll make a stab at my own Top 50 to submit for the next round.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby dannahann » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:02 pm

Bloody Sox wrote:LOVE the Top 50 list - great job to all involved.

One question though: why leave off DL guys? In some ways I think they are the most important ones to have on the list so you can judge their value.

Keeping with the question "would I trade player X for player Y for the rest of this season?", that still very much applies to the DL guys. I for one know that I'd love to see where people think Longoria and Halladay fall in terms of value.

Just my opinion - thanks for the time and effort. Maybe I'll make a stab at my own Top 50 to submit for the next round.

I agree. It is typically much easier to trade for a mega stud by exploiting another owner's concern with a current injury. ;-D
61*
70**73**762***
MVP****NL11,AL07,AL05,NL04,ALNL03,ALNL02,NL01,ALNL00,AL99,ALNL98,ALNL96 RIP Cammi
Cmon Bud, NOW is the time to sack up and force feed an Olympic style drug program down Fehr's fat throat. Save OUR game from these blatant cheaters!
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 39)

Postby Element » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:20 pm

I agree. I processed my list with the DL'd guys on it. They still carry value.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 719)

Postby WaCougMBS » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:43 pm

Element wrote:I agree. I processed my list with the DL'd guys on it. They still carry value.

Makes sense - I think I'll include them in my list next week too. Especially since I hit a wall around 46 where I would have rather sprinkled most of them in to fill out the top 50. It is tougher, but I think it's a must as the next step in the process ;-D
2012 H2HWS West A champion
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby rjforlife » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:35 pm

WaCougMBS wrote:
Element wrote:I agree. I processed my list with the DL'd guys on it. They still carry value.

Makes sense - I think I'll include them in my list next week too. Especially since I hit a wall around 46 where I would have rather sprinkled most of them in to fill out the top 50. It is tougher, but I think it's a must as the next step in the process ;-D

The Ayes have it. Next set we will run DL guys in the countdown. WA- I had just as difficult a time with that 46-50, as about 25 guys all had about the same votes, or lack thereof. So everyone take note, DL guys are on the lists.

That said, for this last week, Ellsbury/Halladay/Weaver would not have made my top 50. Ellsbury's timetable is too up in the air to carry much value, and with the wealth of superb pitching right now, I wouldn't want an injured/recovering Halladay/Weaver over any of the arms on the list. Kemp I would certainly have included, Longoria would probably be in the high 30's, low 40's. The tough one is Tulo, who was looking to return and would have hit the teens, but had to get another MRI and his recovery was seemingly set back a tad. His situation is the one that led us to leave off DL guys in the first place, because he is such an unknown. Oh well, we'll have to face the challenge as a group and see if we can narrow down a decent spot for these fellows.

Thanks again for the comments and suggestions fellas, the top 50 should only get better. ;-D
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 740)

Postby garf112 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:24 pm

rjforlife wrote:... Halladay/Weaver would not have made my top 50... and with the wealth of superb pitching right now, I wouldn't want an injured/recovering Halladay/Weaver over any of the arms on the list.

"You're crazy. I like you, but you're crazy."

http://youtu.be/DvOHbxBAEN8
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)

Postby jfg » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:40 pm

I've been including DL guys. It makes sense as long as you downgrade them depending how long they are out.

What I'm more concerned about is how the site rankings are being used. As far as I can tell all of those rankings are just stat based, not projection based. Nobody from those sites are doing projections, they are just listing them in the order they are performing in each sites league. I guess I don't understand the purpose of including those rankings in a Cafe ranking list. As far as I can tell, we want these rankings to be a perception of how we feel about these players going forward. Including those rankings seems to contradict that. Plus, those three sites are going to be pretty similar across the board since it's just based off the season until now. So a guy like Pujols can finish top 10 in all of our rankings, but he gets three 51 rankings from the big sites. It's up to you, but I personally think we should discontinue using those rankings.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)

Postby dannahann » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:55 pm

jfg wrote:I've been including DL guys. It makes sense as long as you downgrade them depending how long they are out.

What I'm more concerned about is how the site rankings are being used. As far as I can tell all of those rankings are just stat based, not projection based. Nobody from those sites are doing projections, they are just listing them in the order they are performing in each sites league. I guess I don't understand the purpose of including those rankings in a Cafe ranking list. As far as I can tell, we want these rankings to be a perception of how we feel about these players going forward. Including those rankings seems to contradict that. Plus, those three sites are going to be pretty similar across the board since it's just based off the season until now. So a guy like Pujols can finish top 10 in all of our rankings, but he gets three 51 rankings from the big sites. It's up to you, but I personally think we should discontinue using those rankings.

I hope the big 3 website ranks aren't actually counted? I asked Salty about them and his answer led me to believe they were just illustrative for his spreadsheet and that rjforlife didn't use them in the actual top 50.
61*
70**73**762***
MVP****NL11,AL07,AL05,NL04,ALNL03,ALNL02,NL01,ALNL00,AL99,ALNL98,ALNL96 RIP Cammi
Cmon Bud, NOW is the time to sack up and force feed an Olympic style drug program down Fehr's fat throat. Save OUR game from these blatant cheaters!
dannahann
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 39)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers