Which Trade for Price is the best?(WHIR)16 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Which Trade for Price is the best?(WHIR)16

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Which Trade for Price is the best?(WHIR)16

Postby kidsilk » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:46 pm

16 team league, auction league, H2H, 310 dollar cap, can keep as many players as you want per year but each player goes up 3 dollars per year in salary, points league with pitchers favored somewhat. Currently sitting in 12th place but I think I have a good team and could make a move.

Three owners so far are after my Price and I am no sure if I should trade him or keep him?

Here are the offers:

Offer #1: CarGo(43), Alonso(1), Lincecum(40) for My McCutchen(34), Price(37) and Liriano(14)
Offer #2:Asdrubal(11), Howie Kendrick(19), Wilson Ramos(13), Cobb(1), Wolf(8) for Price(37) and Liriano(14)
Offer#3: Colon(2), Feldman(1),Ortiz(9),JD Martinez(5), Nicasio(4) and maybe more pieces for Price(37)

Which deal do you guys like if any?
Kidsilk
kidsilk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1184)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Which Trade for Price is the best?(WHIR)16

Postby nyr199435 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:04 pm

This is tough. I feel like, normally, trade 1 would be the best return. But you have to include Cutch to get Cargo, and Lincecum sucks this year. I'm worried they burnt him out too early by going long games early in his career. Normally I'd say the first trade is a no-brainer, but not with things the way they are now. Trades 2 and 3 seem like a bunch of mediocre players for a great pitcher, which I don't like. Right now I'm not sure I'd take any of those, but if I had to say so, I'd probably still take 1, because if Lincecum turns it around it's a great deal.
nyr199435
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby sigriffey » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:06 pm

Not wild about them, but getting Cargo would be a nice coup.
sigriffey
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 16)

Postby kidsilk » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:14 pm

I originally thought the second deal was good because I don't have to give up anything but Price and get a couple serviceable pitchers and some good bats. Thoughts?
Kidsilk
kidsilk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby kidsilk » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:59 am

Any other opinions?
Kidsilk
kidsilk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Junse19 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:15 am

I'd say no to all 3 trade offers.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=448863
Junse19
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby DLRBusiness » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:05 am

i probably wouldn't do either of them, but If i'd do any of them i'd say the first one. cargo is a slight upgrade over mccutchen. normally i'd like linc over price but this year tim is a big dropoff though he should get better but who knows. do you have an alex gordon type you can offer him instead of mccutchen, try to get a bigger increase in outfielder caliber. thanks for replying to my post.
DLRBusiness
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby jbird669 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:17 am

While Cargo is tempting, I'd stand pat.

Help me? viewtopic.php?t=448878
Baseball is a game where a curve is an optical illusion, a screwball can be a pitch or a person, stealing is legal and you can spit anywhere you like except in the umpire's eye or on the ball. ~Jim Murray
jbird669
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby aerrico » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:27 am

I'm not a fan of any of these... In a points league, elite pitchers can many times outperform elite offensive players...

I see that many people are somewhat sold on the first deal being the best one, but let's look at this...

CarGo for McCutch... Clearly CarGo is the better player here, especially in a points league where 5x5 balance isn't as important
Price for Lincecum... Price and it's not even close
Liriano for Alonso... This just makes the deal look prettier with salary and keepers... even though I wouldn't keep Alonso for 4 dollars next year in a points league. Even if you do keep him, you WERENT going to keep Liriano so you are still losing keeper dollars for next year's draft no matter how you slice it.

To me, even if everything goes perfectly with this deal, you break even this year in terms of value, but lose money for next year's draft. Considering Lincecum's issues and McCutch's recent production, I don't think this one is close. I think you are taking way too much risk in trading two of your best pieces to ultimately only land one sure thing in CarGo.

As far as the 2nd and 3rd deals go, again I'm unsure how you are going to warrant trading arguably your best player in a points league for a bunch of pieces that you don't necessarily have to keep because you can just replace them in the draft next year. For example, I'm not going to pay 22 dollars for 2013 Howie Kendrick as I'm sure you can get him cheaper in the draft next year...
aerrico
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions