Rebuilding an Abandonned team for a second half push (WHIR) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Rebuilding an Abandonned team for a second half push (WHIR)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rebuilding an Abandonned team for a second half push (WHIR)

Postby LightItUp95 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:15 pm

Was given this team by a friend, owner wasn't active, so I jumped on it. I've only had the team for about a week, but in that time, I have overhauled it a bit. I'm 1-0 as the owner (3-6 overall unfortunately). Heres the team. It's a 12 team keeper league (Very deep), H2H points with rosters locking weekly.

C: Yadier Molina (STL)
1B: Eric Hosmer (KC)
2B: Jason Kipnis (CLE)
3B: Brett Lawrie (TOR)
SS: Starlin Castro (CHC)
OF: Ryan Braun (MIL)
OF: Corey Hart (MIL)
OF: Mike Trout (LAA)
OF: Rajai Davis (TOR)
OF: Yoenis Cespedes (OAK)
UTIL: Freddie Freeman (ATL)
UTIL: Salvador Perez (KC)
BE: Michael Saunders (Sea)
BE: Gregor Blanco (SF)
BE: Dee Gordon (LAD)
BE: Wil Myers (KC)
BE: Logan Morrsion (MIA)

P: Adam Wainwright (STL)
P: Felix Hernandez (SEA)
P: Yu Darvish (TEX)
P: Anibal Sanchez (MIA)

P: Andrew Cashner (SD)
P: Aroldis Chapman (CIN)
P: Trevor Bauer (ARI)
RP: Joe Nathan (TEX)

BE: Jeff Samrdzjia (CHC)
BE: Franklin Morales (BOS)
BE: Ryan Cook (OAK)
BE: Tom Wilhelmsen (SEA)

BE: Sean Marshall (CIN)
DL: Andrew Bailey (BOS)
DL: Brett Anderson (OAK)

Notable Subtractions:

Chris Sale (For Anibal Sanchez) (Before he was amazing)
Jon Lester (For Yu Darvish) (Before he sucked)
Jason Heyward (For Yu Darvish)
Hunter Pence (For Felix Hernandez)
Matt Garza (For Felix Hernandez)

all players in bold were added by me through free agency and trade. Everything seems to be working here. Contemplating dropping Brett Anderson/Andrew Bailey for Anthony Bass/Juan Nicasio, who were both dropped this week. Thoughts? I've been only using two closers and six starters now, since I get more points. Also, who should my keepers be? (I know it's early, but It's a hard question).

If you leave the link, I will provide help on your team.

UPDATE 06/17/12: Traded Hunter Pence and Matt Garza for King felix to solidify my rotation.

ROSTER UPDATED 07/01/12

Thanks in Advance!!! :-D
Last edited by LightItUp95 on Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
LightItUp95
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rebuilding an Abandonned team, will return all rates!!!!

Postby LightItUp95 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:48 pm

Bump
LightItUp95
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Quackman » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:43 pm

Your Bats are pretty good actually. Pretty good balance of speed and power. Couple underperformers but no biggie. With braun and pence you have some power in OF,,,but id say your speed is a tad better. With trout, kipnis and gordan. I might even try and add a guy like Revere to lock down runs and sb.

pitching is pretty bad. Even your best two are underperforming. You have alot of guys that could implode any given start. Personally id throw it out and start over. I noticed you dont have a P and not Sp so you could punt wins. Best part of your pitching is chapman as your closer. Id build around him and get some more closers. Darvish and wainright should get you a couple top guys. also, Frieri and jannssen would be good for you to own. Drop downs, frieri will get most saves. Santos was a good pickup but he is still far off. Marmol is another that might be closer soon.

Lastly id look at teams that might be trading soon. Myers in houston for example////lopez i believe would get closer job there. Broxton in KC is another that could be traded.

Punting wins/k's might not be the best strat but it could work here. Since your lineups are locked weekly you cant stream anyone. Winning will be tough. Punting could work if you get a few more closers. id fill it in with a couple low era/whip holds guys to keep your stats down. Thats the key with punting wins/ks you cant ever lose era/whip or its a fail.

just an option, i wouldnt suggest it if you were in a different situation. Wainwright btw i think will turn it around.
Quackman
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 149)

Postby LightItUp95 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:10 pm

Quackman wrote:Your Bats are pretty good actually. Pretty good balance of speed and power. Couple underperformers but no biggie. With braun and pence you have some power in OF,,,but id say your speed is a tad better. With trout, kipnis and gordan. I might even try and add a guy like Revere to lock down runs and sb.

pitching is pretty bad. Even your best two are underperforming. You have alot of guys that could implode any given start. Personally id throw it out and start over. I noticed you dont have a P and not Sp so you could punt wins. Best part of your pitching is chapman as your closer. Id build around him and get some more closers. Darvish and wainright should get you a couple top guys. also, Frieri and jannssen would be good for you to own. Drop downs, frieri will get most saves. Santos was a good pickup but he is still far off. Marmol is another that might be closer soon.

Lastly id look at teams that might be trading soon. Myers in houston for example////lopez i believe would get closer job there. Broxton in KC is another that could be traded.

Punting wins/k's might not be the best strat but it could work here. Since your lineups are locked weekly you cant stream anyone. Winning will be tough. Punting could work if you get a few more closers. id fill it in with a couple low era/whip holds guys to keep your stats down. Thats the key with punting wins/ks you cant ever lose era/whip or its a fail.

just an option, i wouldnt suggest it if you were in a different situation. Wainwright btw i think will turn it around.

I think he and Darvish will indeed turn it around (There's some article floating around saying that Darvish has been getting squeezed like crazy). The reason i haven't given up yet is that the top two in each division advance, and my division is pretty weak (first place guy out by a lot, but then it really drops off), so I still have a chance if I begin to win. your idea of punting wins/ks is interesting, but because it is a points league, that would be somewhat counterproductive, as IP is a catergory, so starters are abit more valuable. with that said, I think I can meet you halfway. I'm trying to acquire a bona fide ace right now (Cliff lee and Jered Weaver specifically). I may go after another closer as well. Then, I can just run Wainwright-Darvish-acemanperson-Anibal with 4 RPs (Chapman-Cook-Nathan-????) out every week. I'll probably use Garza and maybe an OF to acquire said ace (probably a little more, but whatevs), and then sell high on Pettitte to maybe get a decent reliever or two (or just spot start him for matchup reasons).

So yeah, I try that and get back to you. Thanks!
LightItUp95
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby HoneyNutIchiros11 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:16 pm

I'd think Arencebia could be a candidate for a drop and you could look on the WW for another starter, and although I wouldn't personally think of doing it you could always try to sell high on mike trout while he's still on fire or package trout and another pitcher or hitter for a first or second pitcher in their teams rotation.

A good ace to buy low on would be lincecum for sure, he's struggling right now but still can pull it together and salvage something decent out of this season.

Doc Halladay is a possibility for a buy low too, a very slight one at that, but coming off an injury with a team in last place in the division without great run support you could argue that his numbers might not necessarily be as stellar as we're all used to be seeing from such a dominant pitcher. This is probably a stretch to work your way into a deal for him though.

Hold tight on wainwright, he's had some great starts and some not so great but I think he's starting to get back in his groove from two seasons ago
HoneyNutIchiros11
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 24)

Postby Quackman » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:55 pm

ya with IP at a Category that changes things. Closers look fine, id start 3 also. Id look for one more for bench, especially with how the year has been going with closers. Dont listen to whoever said to trade Trout,,,thats bonkers. Its a keeper league so the future of this team is Kipnis, Trout and Chapman. dice-k could be on your ww, miracles can happen. good luck.
Quackman
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 149)

Postby LightItUp95 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:16 pm

Quackman wrote:ya with IP at a Category that changes things. Closers look fine, id start 3 also. Id look for one more for bench, especially with how the year has been going with closers. Dont listen to whoever said to trade Trout,,,thats bonkers. Its a keeper league so the future of this team is Kipnis, Trout and Chapman. dice-k could be on your ww, miracles can happen. good luck.

Not sure if Kipnis is part (Depends on whether or not someone decieds to keep Cano, since jhe's my favorite player) of the future, but Trout and Chapman certainly are (especially if Chapman becomes a starter). I actually may be acquiring another closer, just because I actually prefer four.

Also, whoever said it, I'm not trading for Lincecum or Holiday. Lincecum is an interesting option, but not sure I want to take a gamble when i'm low in the standings. The specific pitcher I sent a request for is Weaver. Hopefully i get a response quickly. If not him, I'll go after Lee since the guy who has him tried to work out a trade for me with D-Price (wasn't interested ATM). He wanted one of my guys bad, so I might be able to get Lee easier.

Thanks for all the help, keep it coming.
LightItUp95
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Kempire » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:33 pm

Well, thats not a great picthing staff but a pretty good batting team. Try to invest some of that batting on your bench into a stud pitcher such as kershaw,verlander, felix hernandez(while he struggles) weaver, cc sabathia, cliff lee, matt cain. Try to get kershaw cause he is the youngest and verlanders arm will fall off soon
Kempire
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby LightItUp95 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:45 pm

Kempire wrote:Well, thats not a great picthing staff but a pretty good batting team. Try to invest some of that batting on your bench into a stud pitcher such as kershaw,verlander, felix hernandez(while he struggles) weaver, cc sabathia, cliff lee, matt cain. Try to get kershaw cause he is the youngest and verlanders arm will fall off soon

Any guys i should dangle to try and get an Ace? Castro or Pence maybe? Suggestions?
LightItUp95
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby LightItUp95 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:52 pm

UPDATE: So, I finally got my Ace; Ling Felix will be mine this week. While I wasn't able to buy AS LOW as I wanted (I had to give Hunter Pence and Matt garza since the guy had beening Keeping him for like two years or something), I still consider it a win since I don't have to pay the price he would cost during his hayday. Pence was my third best outfielder, but the guy didn't like either Hart or Cespedes since they were DTD, and in general, Matt garza has been nothing special this year, and Felix is a huge upgrade over him. Thoughts?
LightItUp95
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team