Lincecum and Hosmer for Stanton? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Lincecum and Hosmer for Stanton?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Lincecum and Hosmer for Stanton?

Postby juliown1028 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:31 pm

Was just offered Lincecum and Hosmer for my Stanton. What do you guys think?

I have too many OFs, and said I needed a 1B on my trading block with Adam Laroche being so off/on this season and I have no backup for him. Hosmer has been doing great recently (I bought him low in a different league) and well, this trade just rests on whether Lincecum will come back or not, if he does, I could really use the SP help.

Do I do this trade? (I'd probably drop Downs when accepting the trade)

12 Team Roto 5x5 Standard:
C: W. Rosario
1B: A. Laroche
2B: J. Kipnis
3B: R. Zimmerman
SS: M. Aviles
OF: R. Braun
OF: G. Stanton
OF: A. Rios
Util: A. Gordon
Util: D. Jennings
BN: J. Reddick
BN: D. Viciedo

SP: Cl. Lee, Y. Gallardo, J. Verlander, M. Garza, M. Latos
RP: Hanrahan, Frieri, Rodney, R. Cook, Downs, C. Janssen

Leave a link if you need help!
"Chuck Norris has been known to throw a baseball 100 mph. I've been known to throw Chuck Norris 100 mph." - Brian Wilson
juliown1028
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Lincecum and Hosmer for Stanton?

Postby mcmbpd » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:50 pm

I made a post ealier about a trade involving Lincecum so I'll share that again first in case you didn't see it: Many "experts" are calling for a rebound from Lincecum, propping him up as a prime buy-low candidate. Like alot of people I've got the extra innings package and I've watched all of Lincecum's starts, especially those against the Dodgers, my NL team. I haven't seen anything that indicates that Lincecum is going to magically turn things around...I also don't see anything that points to some unknown injury lying below the surface. All I see is a guy who has been a rock in the past, but has now averaged 220 IP/season over the last four years. And while he's only 26 yrs old he reminds me of another ace who started to break down around the same age, maybe you've heard of him: Jake Peavy. I think we are simply witnessing the decline of Tim Lincecum and his "big" injury is coming very soon. That being said I don't see that happening this year and I believe he will rebound somewhat, but his numbers will not come anywhere close to his previous seasons. We're looking at a very pedestrian year from Lincecum in 2012.

So let's take a hard look at your OF. Yes, you have plenty of OFs, but I really don't think Stanton is the one that you can afford to trade. Reddick, Viciedo, and Rios are relatively decent options but they are totally expendable. I'm not high on any of those guys going forward. Your ideal OF is Stanton, Braun, and Jennings, with Gordon (once he rebounds, which has already started) as your bench OF or starter at Util. That's a championship OF if I ever saw one. So now that we've established all that we can start to assess this trade.

You need a 1B, no doubt about that. Laroche is not gonna cut it, not if you want to win it all. Hosmer is an ideal replacement. I'm totally onboard with the buy-low opinions out there reagrding this kid. He's the real deal and much like Gordon he's primed for a hudge 2nd half. However, the deal with you giving up Stanton is not how you should try and get him, I honestly don't think that Lincecum is going to perform any better than any of the starters that you already have...with the exception of Latos, if he was still in SD then he'd be included as well but his move to Cincy has bee rough and I believe it will continue to ruin his stats especially as the weather continues to heat-up. So even though you'd address your need at 1B Othink you'd be losing way more by moving Stanton who is going to hit 40 jacks with over 100 RBIs. So I would pass on this deal. Let's look at it from the other guys perspective. I mean if this guy thought that Lincecum was going to make such a drastic turnaround then he wouldn't even think of making this offer...so obviosuly he agrees somewhat with my speculation. I would still try and make a deal for Hosmer, but I would try and use Reddick, Viciedo, or Rios. Maybe you throw in one of your many closers and that will close the deal. Reddick is a great sell high candidate right now, his value will never be this good again. So I'd try to move him in the deal unless somehow you can sell this guy on Viciedo or Rios instead, both of which are lesseroptions when compared to Reddick imo. I think your starting pitching will be just fine the way it is. I mean I'd take that starting rotation in a heart beat. You've simply been the recipient of some bad luck so far with that group. Other than maybe finding an improvement for Latos I'd stand pat with those guys. What SPs are available in your league right now via free agency? Maybe I can suggest a replacement for Latos that will help you out.

So my answer would be no on that trade. Keep trying to make a deal to grab Hosmer using the players I suggested and let's see if we can't find somebody to replace Latos. I really think you might have a championship squad here bro with the proper adjustments. Do me a favor and keep an eye out for my posts in the future, I always appreciate as much input as possible.
"Baseball is ninety percent mental. The other half is physical." --Yogi Berra
mcmbpd
College Coach
College Coach

Postby juliown1028 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:16 pm

Bump
"Chuck Norris has been known to throw a baseball 100 mph. I've been known to throw Chuck Norris 100 mph." - Brian Wilson
juliown1028
College Coach
College Coach

Postby kaiser » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:19 pm

I'm going to keep it a lot shorter than the previous guy, and just say no, I would not make that trade.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 308)

Postby mcmbpd » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:17 pm

sorry if my answer was too long, but I'd rather give you the reasoning behind my opinion as opposed to just saying "no." Anybody can come in here and say "yeah, take the trade" or "no, don't do the trade"...as someone that put alot pf thought and effort in making roster decisions/moves I like to know where people are coming from and if they have an actual basis for their answer. It's usually helpful to those asking the questions...but hey, that's just me ;-D
mcmbpd
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mcmbpd » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:18 pm

by the way, I put alot less effort into checking for any mispelled words in my posts...lmao X-I
mcmbpd
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions