Trade Chris Perez for Michael Morse? WHIR always! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Trade Chris Perez for Michael Morse? WHIR always!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trade Chris Perez for Michael Morse? WHIR always!

Postby acertijo » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:16 am

Hey Cafe People!

I've been offered a trade in a 10 team H2H league, standard 5x5 categories. Currently I'm in 2nd place.

I am pretty stacked at closer, with 6 of them: Jansen, Rodney, Jim Johnson, Perez, Myers, Reed.

My lineup is pretty solid as well now that Kung Fu Panda is back: Wieters (C), Butler (DH/1B), Hosmer (1B), Zobrist (2B), Sandoval(3B), Castro (SS), Bourn(OF), J Upton(OF), Braun(OF), and Rios(OF). I don't like to carry a lot of bench hitters, so Rios is the only bench reserve I have.

I was just offered Michael Morse (1B/OF) for Chris Perez. I wouldn't mind getting rid of a RP given how many I have. Whether I accept seems to revolve around two issues. First, is Morse likely to come around to hitting like he had last year? Second, is Rios's resurgence for real? Here's my thinking: if Rios is due for regression and Morse is due to start hitting, then I accept the trade and drop Rios for a decent SP (there are always decent SPs on the wire in a 10-team league). Or I trade Rios for a decent SP if another manager believes in him. However, if Morse is going to struggle coming back from the injury and Rios is reasonably close to being for real, then maybe I want to stay put. Or perhaps counter with Myers for Morse and suggest we both absorb some risk.

Anyway that's all the info. I'm curious based on all of the above whether you think I should accept this trade offer where I get Morse and he gets Perez.

Leave a link and I'll definitely help in return!
acertijo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Trade Chris Perez for Michael Morse? WHIR always!

Postby MaudDib » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:26 am

First off I would probably make the move.

Secondly, I don't know if anyone can claim to know what Rios is going to do. I am not sure there is a bigger enigma in fantasy sports right now. He goes hot and cold quickly and seasons at a time. Personally I would be looking to move him if you can get anything for him. As for Morse, I am not a big fan of his but there are a lot of people who are and I think he is worth buying just in case they are right.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Re: Trade Chris Perez for Michael Morse? WHIR always!

Postby bobnerns » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:19 am

Reiterating some of the above post, first you should take this trade. Morse will be fine and should easily outperform Chris Perez going forward. Yes, Perez has been great this year, but it wasn't too long ago that people were clamoring for Vinnie Pestano to close. Add to it the fact that you have 3 very good closers and 2 more mediocre ones, you definitely do it.

If you don't like keeping many or any bench hitters (which I don't either, definitely the best strategy), I would look at trading Rios after you do this deal. Right now, Rios holds way too much value in 10-team mixed leagues to flat out waive him. Who knows if Rios will continue what he's doing. His value is high right now, and you should try to sell him as if he will continue this way.

Thanks for help on mine.
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=448669
bobnerns
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions