position help - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

position help

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

position help

Postby MFJDZ69 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:24 am

I am the commish of my yahoo fantasy baseball league and this is the first year of a keeper league. I have been playing for 5 years but this is my first rodeo as commish. I have a few questions for any commish who can help. First I was thinking about removing the catcher position and adding a ULT player but my friend had a really good idea, can you make the catcher position kinda like team def. in football? Meaning when you draft a catcher you get the teams catcher not just one of the catchers both of them. The reason for this catchers NEVER play everyday and this would allow for the catcher position to always be filled. I have searched yahoo and could not find if this is possible. Next, I do not like the tie. I was thinking of trying to make as many categories a % as possible. Has anyone done this and how did it go? I understand that runs, rbi's, and homers cannot be a %. In the pitching cat, win %, save % and QS %. My last question is about some sort of category for def like fielding %. Good idea or bad idea? Thank you for reading and responding! :)
MFJDZ69
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: position help

Postby mkultra » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:52 am

These are the words I live by as commish, and you should, too: Don't get cute with your league.

You want to track Fielding % as a scoring stat in your league? Fine, a lot of sites support that stat, but good luck finding any analysis out there that takes it into account. Almost all preseason forecasting will be useless. If you guys are all that hardcore, great, but you're more likely to wind up with a bunch of frustrated managers who will quickly lose interest in the league.

Your "dual catcher" idea sounds weird (it could drastically affect the value of certain catchers, depending on the backup), but you could probably "make it work" by having a 2-catcher league, and a House Rule (because no site would enforce it) that both catchers have to come from the same team. IMO, a playing time is part of fantasy bb strategy.

Lastly, be very careful about changing the rules of a keeper league. Once you start, any significant changes you make should have a full season of play before they take effect. So, I would not plan on any major changes taking effect until the 2014 season, because people (hopefully) drafted and are playing already with an eye toward 2013.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Re: position help

Postby MFJDZ69 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:05 pm

thanks for the reply. Very good advice now that I see a different view.
MFJDZ69
T-Ball Trainer

Return to Commissioner's Corner