Trade Johan Santanta, Receive Tim Lincecum and Freddie Freem - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Trade Johan Santanta, Receive Tim Lincecum and Freddie Freem

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trade Johan Santanta, Receive Tim Lincecum and Freddie Freem

Postby smitty10j » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:40 pm

I had a trade offered to me and I would like to have others opinion. I would give up Johan Santana and I would receive Tim Lincecum and Freddie Freeman. 10-Team H2H League, not a keeper league, 10 batting and 10 pitching categories. If there is any other information you would like to know, just ask.

Categories: Hitting : R, H, HR, RBI, SB, K, TB, AVG, OBP, OPS,
Pitching: IP, W, L, CG, SHO, SV, K, HLD, ERA, WHIP

Will Help In Return for your help, thanks!

My Roster
C - Matt Weiters
1B - Prince Fielder
2B - Howie Kendrick
3B - Adrian Beltre
SS - Troy Tulowitzki
OF - Josh Hamilton
OF - Andrew McCutchen
OF - Nelson Cruz
Utl - Mike Trout
Utl - Kendrys Morales
Ben - Neil Walker
Ben - Allen Craig
DL - Carl Crawford

P - Johan Santana
P - Dan Haren
P - C.J. Wilson
P - Jake Peavy
P - Colby Lewis
P - Anibal Sanchez
P - Ervin Santana
RP - Joel Hanrahan
RP - Santiago Casilla
RP - Rafael Soriano
RP - Tyler Clippard
smitty10j
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Trade Johan Santanta, Receive Tim Lincecum and Freddie F

Postby sclyon3 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:16 am

Thanks for your insight on my post. It was helpful! It's good to get a context of how players are valued in other leagues to get some clarity, so thanks!

As far as your situation, your deal looks great in a vacuum. My only question is how this will help your team. I must say that I am not touching Lincecum with a 110-foot pole. There is nothing about him that gives me hope. He was dominant in '09. I get that. His ERA was respectable for the past 2 seasons (3.43 and 2.74, respectively) since then. HOWEVER, I am a big WHIP guy and over the course of those past two years, his WHIP went up from 1.05 in '09 to 1.27 and 1.21 in the next consecutive years. You can only get away with putting guys on base so much before it catches up with you. Now, his WHIP is up to an unsightly 1.52 on the season and his ERA is equally horrific (5.83). The fact that he gave up 4 runs at PETCO sums it up. If you can't shut down the Padres line-up in one of the best pitchers' parks in baseball, you suck. Flat out. So with that in mind, who do you cut if you do the two-for-one? Ervin Santana is in the same boat as Timmy. If you do the deal, I say cut Ervin (unless you're a believer). At least Timmy does have a potential upside that is somewhat bright; Ervin has the history of being wildly inconsistent (although at times seems destined for greatness). This is the paradox that is Ervin Santana's career.

All of that being said, I think I would prefer Freeman's bat over Johan's frail arm any day. However, where does he fit into your line-up? You already have Allen Craig (whom I love, personally) riding the pine. Now you bring Freeman in and he rides the bench, too? At least Johan is getting stats for you every 5th day (and with the exception of the NYY debacle, these have been great stats all year).

In light of this, I can't give you a definitive "do" or "don't" because I think it all comes down to the direction you are going to take for your team. You might be able to deal Freeman for another servicable pitcher that you trust to stay healthy more than our boy Johan? If you like Freeman, you could shop any other of your hitters for a pitcher of equal value? I am just throwing ideas out there because I think you have to have a plan if you want to do this trade. You could do Johan for Freeman straight up and not bother with the headache that is Tim Lincecum if you feel like Johan will not hold up over the course of the season. Again, I'm just throwing out food for thought.

I hope at least something in hear helps. Good luck with your decision!!
sclyon3
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby jcave24 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:59 pm

I would give you a lengthy response with all of my insight in it, but I do not think I could put it any better than sclyon did up there. I agree 100 percent with everything he said.
jcave24
College Coach
College Coach

Postby freepeterose » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:52 pm

+1 on that scycon said it well. I have both Lincecum and Freeman in a similar league. I drafted freeman and he has been struggling and on my benchs for awhile, i just picked up Lincecum as a Free agent in hopes he turns it around but i would not give up anything for him. My guess is you opponent may be about to drop Lincecum anyway and he is a red herring just to make the trade look sweeter. This is basically a straight up deal Santana for Freeman. Depending on how good his team is and what his needs are he my be considering dropping Freeman as well. You may be able to wait and pick up one or both of these guys on waivers.

All that being said Lincecum had two good outings and Freeman seems to be past his injuries. If you like those guys and the fit do it
freepeterose
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby freepeterose » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:07 am

Did you make the deal? Lincecum and Freeman both had good weeks
freepeterose
Little League Legend
Little League Legend