Trade closer...Jansen for craig or austin jackson - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Trade closer...Jansen for craig or austin jackson

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trade closer...Jansen for craig or austin jackson

Postby brila777 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:18 pm

Looking to upgrade OF and since have made some moves but i was just offered Jansen for Craig. If i take it first

Is is worth it looking at my OF and 2 who do i drop?

10 team h2h
C Jesus Montero
1b Butler
2b Phillips
3b Beltre
SS Rollins
OF Braun
OF Fowler
OF Gordon
OF Alex Rios
Util Ortiz

SP Haren, Felix, Bumgarner, Zimmerman, T. Hudson, Samardzija, Lynn, Paulino DL
RP Jansen, Hanrahan, Reed, Wilhelmsen, Santos DL
10 team h2h
C Jesus Montero
1b Butler
2b Phillips
3b Beltre
SS Rollins
OF Braun, Rios, Craig, De Aza
Util Ortiz
SP Felix, Bumgarner, Zimmerman, Haren, Hammel, T. Hudson, Lynn, Gee
RP Jansen, Reed, Cook, Santos DL
brila777
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Trade closer...Jansen for craig or austin jackson

Postby brila777 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:46 pm

He will now do hanrahan who to drop though gordon.
10 team h2h
C Jesus Montero
1b Butler
2b Phillips
3b Beltre
SS Rollins
OF Braun, Rios, Craig, De Aza
Util Ortiz
SP Felix, Bumgarner, Zimmerman, Haren, Hammel, T. Hudson, Lynn, Gee
RP Jansen, Reed, Cook, Santos DL
brila777
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Re: Trade closer...Jansen for craig or austin jackson

Postby sclyon3 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:03 am

First, thanks for the help on mine. Your insight was very helpful!

I do like what you're doing, but the tough spot is that you will have too many OF like you said. I know Gordon's average stinks, but I am not so sure that either of these deals actually make your team better. At first glance it really seems like it would, but you are losing a high level closer and getting an unproven guy in either Craig or Jackson. They both have great skill sets, but you just don't know what you're getting for the rest of the year. Craig has been on the DL twice already, and Jackson has been a strikeout machine for his whole career until this year. I have not seen Tigers games to see if his recent decline in Ks is due to a newfound plate discipline or what, but I am not sure I am sold enough on him to give up a closer for him.

Much of what I've said is predicated on how you feel about Gordon. If the low average is too much for you to stomach and it is costing your team, then replacing him might be the best thing. I wonder too, who will you get when you drop Gordon? This makes much of the difference in the trade. If your OF improves a little bit, but your pitching takes a step back in terms of Jansen/Hanrahan's replacement, then your team did not get better. Would you get a SP off waivers? Is there another RP you have your eye on? If not, you could even hold on to Gordon and start your new OF and see what happens for the next few weeks. It is still very early in the season, so there is not necessarily a need to bail. Remember, Gordon hit .303 over 151 games last year, so don't be too quick to give up on the kid. If anything maybe trade him for a pitcher after you make this deal if you go through with it.

I personally am not big on closers so I love getting such valuable bats with upside like the two you've mentioned; I just think you need to have a plan to make your team better out of it. Hope this helps!!
sclyon3
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions