McDonald vs. Darvish: rest of the season - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

McDonald vs. Darvish: rest of the season

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

McDonald vs. Darvish: rest of the season

Postby twistedude » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:33 pm

Hello all. I've been offered Yu Darvish for my James McDonald in my 14 team roto keeper league. Neither player factors into my keeper plans, so my question is: who will be more productive for me for the remainder of THIS season? Is this a good buy low/sell high, or something I should avoid entirely?
twistedude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: McDonald vs. Darvish: rest of the season

Postby MaudDib » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:37 pm

I like Darvish but I am not sold on McDonald. He might be this good but I just have my reservations right now. Maybe someone else has a better feel for what he might do the rest of the way.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 381)

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:59 pm

Seems like a great buy low sell high to me, but my gut is telling me to maybe hold of. As good as Darvish could be, he hasn't shown that he can maintain a reasonable walk rate.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 66)

Postby twistedude » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:31 pm

thanks guys. any other feedback?
twistedude
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 37)

Postby sclyon3 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:14 pm

This is a hard question. The Pirates offense is anemic and the Rangers is phenomenal. However, part of that is also due to the ballpark in which each respective team plays. Texas plays in one of the best hitter's parks in baseball (bad for Darvish) and Pittsburgh plays in a pretty good pitcher's park. This could inflate Darvish's ratios (particularly ERA) and help McDonald's; at the same time, Darvish is more likely to get more wins than McDonald based on run support.

With all of that being said, I agree that it is a great sell high/buy low option. However, I do like McDonald and think he can easily be an elite guy. With the addition of his slider this year, he has been nearly unhittable. I have him on my 10-team mixed squad, and I have wrestled with the same idea. I live in Pittsburgh and every in my league loves him because they're all Buccos fans. I have wrestled with the same issue that you currently are. It is hard to determine if he will continue to keep this up all season, but in my mind, there have been no warning signs of a collapse or meltdown just yet. I am personally going to hold onto him and see what happens and may re-consider before the trade deadline.

Best of luck. Hope this helps!
sclyon3
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ATLbraves » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:21 am

sclyon3 wrote:This is a hard question. The Pirates offense is anemic and the Rangers is phenomenal. However, part of that is also due to the ballpark in which each respective team plays. Texas plays in one of the best hitter's parks in baseball (bad for Darvish) and Pittsburgh plays in a pretty good pitcher's park. This could inflate Darvish's ratios (particularly ERA) and help McDonald's; at the same time, Darvish is more likely to get more wins than McDonald based on run support.

With all of that being said, I agree that it is a great sell high/buy low option. However, I do like McDonald and think he can easily be an elite guy. With the addition of his slider this year, he has been nearly unhittable. I have him on my 10-team mixed squad, and I have wrestled with the same idea. I live in Pittsburgh and every in my league loves him because they're all Buccos fans. I have wrestled with the same issue that you currently are. It is hard to determine if he will continue to keep this up all season, but in my mind, there have been no warning signs of a collapse or meltdown just yet. I am personally going to hold onto him and see what happens and may re-consider before the trade deadline.

Best of luck. Hope this helps!

Completely agree with this guy.

I would definitely make the trade. Great chance to buy low and sell high.

Free Fantasy Consultant - https://twitter.com/FantasyChat247

Twitter - @FantasyChat247
ATLbraves
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ahcryky » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:23 am

I'd rather have McDonald. Even if the Pirates sometimes don't score enough runs, which hasn't been the problem lately, he's not going to hurt you in any other category. So, even if Darvish ends up with more wins in the end, that's the only category I would even see him as a better option the McDonald.

Help with mine? viewtopic.php?f=26&t=448586
ahcryky
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ATLbraves » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:13 pm

ahcryky wrote:I'd rather have McDonald. Even if the Pirates sometimes don't score enough runs, which hasn't been the problem lately, he's not going to hurt you in any other category. So, even if Darvish ends up with more wins in the end, that's the only category I would even see him as a better option the McDonald.

Help with mine? viewtopic.php?f=26&t=448586

Darvish will also have more K's then McDonald. And imo, they will end up having similar ERA's by the end of the season. Darvish's could even be lower honestly.

Free Fantasy Consultant - https://twitter.com/FantasyChat247

Twitter - @FantasyChat247
ATLbraves
General Manager
General Manager

Postby LittleTree » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:16 pm

I would go with Darvish. I believe he has elite skills and is in the process of figuring it all out. He plays for one of the best teams in baseball and has great intangibles. I like McDonald too but not near as much as Yu, especially when it won't affect your keeper status for this year. Definitely Yu.

Help with mine?
viewtopic.php?t=448591
LittleTree
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 26)

Postby OBPlover » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:26 am

I don't understand, why is Darvish a buy low?

He's proven nothing at a major league level.

basically you're trading a pitcher with great potential who is realizing it in 2012 for a pitcher with great potential who is having serious problems in 2012

Seems kind of clear to me.
OBPlover
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 126)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions