What to do with Latos - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What to do with Latos

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: What to do with Latos

Postby thatguy27 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:51 pm

Izenhart wrote:1stly - Of the 6 hits allowed you feel Latos has been overly lucky, whereas it could also be conversly true, maybe the hitters are the lucky ones and Latos HAS been that overpowering lately. I have watched him pitch and he is hitting the corners with consistency and with pinpoint precision. He's just on fire right now.

The HR spike was predicted. A flyball pitcher leaving PetCo will see a rise in ERA due to more HRs allowed.

All in all I think his recent flourish of brilliance has been an equalizer on his current projected talent and has put his stats more in line with what numbers we should see from him.

I'm not a fan of splits (home, road) from pitchers in neutral parks. Sometimes the two bad games they have are both at home or on the road and people wrongly think he's only good to pitch in one and not the other.

In 12x12 mixed's I'd take him off any WW and play matchups.

Re: your first point I definitely considered that but my post was so long already I didn't want to take the time to mention it--I'm a pessimist by nature so if given the choice, I'll assume the glass is half empty every time.

No doubt a HR spike was expected, but I don't think this HR spike was predicted. I mean we're talking about a 40ish HR allowed pace--that's not bad, it's downright awful. But again, it might actually be a good thin--if there is in fact something to xFIP then we should expect it to normalize.

Re: the splits, I admit I didn't look too deeply into the actual matchups and how the splits ended up so lopsided, so I'll certainly concede that point to you.

Finally, thanks a ton for you reply ;-D
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thatguy27 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:58 pm

Oh, and as for your suggestion that his recent badassness is a mere normalizing factor, well, I just don't buy that. If Latos is a guy who has the talent to put up an average line of 6-7 IP, 2-3 R, 6-7 H, 1-2 BB's and 5-7 K's, than it would be those types of outinsg that he'd be putting up if we're talking regressing back to the mean. We can't simply say, well, he had a bunch of terrible games, he's due for a couple brilliant games to average things out. It doesn't work that way. We can say he's due to begin pitching more to his talent level, which is somewhat in line with what I posted above. His recent gems are extreme outliers just as his clunkers are likely outliers.
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby J35J » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:32 pm

IMO, Latos is a really good pitcher....whether he puts it together in the second half this year or not doesn't change my mind. He's good, he'll be good again.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 393)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:44 pm

J35J wrote:IMO, Latos is a really good pitcher....whether he puts it together in the second half this year or not doesn't change my mind. He's good, he'll be good again.
This was my motivation in trading for him in both my leagues. He's just too good. I don't need to see his xFIP or his SIERA. He's super talented, can be dominating, and if he comes at the right price, I want him on my team, period.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 357)

Postby West » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:49 am

bigh0rt wrote:
J35J wrote:IMO, Latos is a really good pitcher....whether he puts it together in the second half this year or not doesn't change my mind. He's good, he'll be good again.
This was my motivation in trading for him in both my leagues. He's just too good. I don't need to see his xFIP or his SIERA. He's super talented, can be dominating, and if he comes at the right price, I want him on my team, period.

+1

Owned Latos all year and stuck with him all year to get to this point.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 92)

Postby skones » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:32 pm

As most in this thread know, he was extremely frustrating to own the first part of the season, it's time to pound our chests for hanging onto the guy. Since getting blown up by Cleveland on June 18th, he's started 8 games.

In those games, he's 5-1, with 52 k's in 55 innings. Over that same span, he's posted a 2.12 ERA and a .96 WHIP. Grab the guy while his ERA still looks kind of blah.
skones
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers