Any1 else seen the Soriano rumors? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Any1 else seen the Soriano rumors?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mtarail » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:47 pm

MAYBE they could win if they got both guys and Kaz and Reyes play well and Piazza stays healthy. But their pitching is still highly suspect. I'd still think the favorite would be the Phillies.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DGroundhog » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:56 pm

Lots of people are speculating that Soriano could go somewhere. With the Rangers interest in Bradley I've seen at least one site tossing out ideas of Soriano for Bradley, Cliff Lee or other SP prospects.

There's probably going to be a lot of Soriano rumors, just because long-term it doesn't look like he is staying in Texas.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby inkubus » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:57 pm

Any reason for us Soriano owners to be concerned?
inkubus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert

Postby LBJackal » Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:02 am

Why would Soriano play OF in NY if the Mets traded Reyes for him? They woudn't have a 2B and it would seem like a straight 2B for 2B deal to me. Oh well, I don't have him in any leagues (I havn't had a top 5 pick in any of my leagues - talk about bad luck).

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby AcidRock23 » Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:03 am

This deal doesn't really make sense for either team. Soriano should play a bit above the sort of player who you'd trade for a minor league pitcher and Reyes. Even if it's a keeper league!! I like Reyes a lot at SS but he's a bit down from the ARod/ Nomar sort of #s that Soriano puts up. And, since the Rangers have made noise about Soriano playing short, why would they trade him.

If they WERE contemplating unloading Soriano, I would expect that they'd have to be insisting on somebody who could help them out right now, rather than a prospect, even a hot one.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:14 am

i think it basically comes down to the mets trying to steal soriano. everybody knows that soriano is set for a nice pay raise fairly soon so the mets made some lowball offers attempting to appeal to the rangers desire to save money. the rangers made a counter offer involving some of the mets best prospects and the deal stalled.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Amazinz » Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:46 am

Nope. Soriano criticized the Mets in the NY papers during the trade talks saying he did not want to play for the 2nd team in NY. That's what stalled the trade.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:12 pm

What stalled the trade was Scott Kazmir. The Mets wouldn't mind unloading Heilman for Soriano, but the Rangers wanted Kazmir, who is as highly touted as any arm's been in the Mets farm system in a long time. NY decided it was unwise to give up an arm like that, even for Soriano, who I should point out to whoever said the Rangers aren't asking enough, is not as good a real life 2B as he is a fantasy 2B.

The Mets went into talks saying Reyes was off the block, so I don't think he was an issue. Initially when it looked like the deal was going to happen, the Mets major concern with Soriano was if he could make the defensive adjustment to the OF quickly enough. With Kaz and Reyes, the Mets have one of the better young defensive middle infields, and throwing Soriano in at 2B would certainly change that.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Sevillano » Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:14 pm

^^that was me^^
Sevillano
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AcidRock23 » Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:18 pm

That's a very good point on the IRL vs. Fantasy issue w/ Soriano. For some reason the errors don't weigh as heavily on fantasy teams, even the ones that count E!! Still though, he's a 'hot property' for the Rangers and getting a young arm that, from the Minor League #s from last year, perhaps needs a bit more seasoning, would seem to be a bit shortsighted.

I guess there aren't really that many quality SP on the market but they REALLY need help immediately for their pitching staff. Kenny Rogers as the ace? Sheesh!! Probably the only thing that will help them is when Park's contract runs out...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers