Ryan Zimmerman? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ryan Zimmerman?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ryan Zimmerman?

Postby juliown1028 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:16 am

How are you other Zimmerman owners out there handling him? In past years I stood far away from him in drafts but this year in 2 leagues he ended up near me around pick 50 so I thought he'd be worth it there, but apparently he hasn't been.

I knew to expect the injuries. But a sub-.240 avg? 2 Homers? Even in his worst power outage years he hit HRs at a better rate. And now he finally has some decent offense around him compared to past years, with Morse back, Laroche's resurrection, Bryce Harper doing well, etc.

I wasn't expecting him to play 150+ games, but I thought with at least 130-140 games he'd hit 20 HRs, have 80 runs/80 RBI, and a .280 avg.

How long should owners actually hold onto him? Frustratioooonnnnn :-[
"Chuck Norris has been known to throw a baseball 100 mph. I've been known to throw Chuck Norris 100 mph." - Brian Wilson
juliown1028
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Ryan Zimmerman?

Postby mt99808 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:48 am

I hear ya but I'm stuck with him. Well at least until Pujols gets 3b eligibility. :-°
mt99808
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 6)

Postby SpecialFNK » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:03 am

I don't think there's much you can do with him if you have him. unless you're in a shallow league there likely isn't much better on waivers than what Zimmerman could/should do.
trading him now would be selling low.
he has a fairly low .275 BABIP.
he has 17.2 LD% compared to 18.8 LD% for his career.
he has 32.0 FB% compared to 37.5 FB% for his career, and he also has a low 5.1 HR/FB compared to 12.4 HR/FB for his career. the HR should come.
his walk rate is up a little at 10.1 % compared to 9.2 % for his career, and his strike out rate is normal at 17.2 % compared to 16.9 % for his career.

this is my 1st time in this 16 team keeper league. we only keep 5. before the season there were 4 new teams having an expansion draft from the 4 eliminated teams. the player pool was weak. we could draft 10 players and then we end up keeping 5. we could also trade draft picks with other teams. I traded for Zimmerman and an 8th round draft pick (13th round after keepers) only giving up a 2nd round draft pick (7th round after keepers/16 team league) so I felt like it was a good move for me.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 514)

Postby Ender » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:52 am

He is playing with a bum shoulder so I don't expect him to get better. I don't think he has a ton of trade value in most leagues either.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 451)

Postby Element » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:54 pm

Correct. Zimmerman's trade value is so low right now that the seller would basically be giving him away. I own him in one league and have not had a single bite. My only choice is to hold on to him and hope that the shoulder improves.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 968)

Postby AHF » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:44 am

juliown1028 wrote:How are you other Zimmerman owners out there handling him?

Another of my keepers really struggling. I benched him as soon as Morse came back and stuck Moustakas at the 3B slot and Morse at CI. I am just going to wait and watch with him at this point. Between his health and performance, this looks like a contract Washington may really regret. He will be off my team's payroll after this season regardless so I will just wait on him to turn things around for the time being. 3B isn't deep enough that I would dump him without an extended slump moving forward.

Definitely near zero trade value in my league.
AHF
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 78)

Postby HighHeater » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:21 am

I have had this guy on my team every year hes been in the bigs... and he been a huge disappointment going on several years now. Either hes always injured or hes under-whelming in the stats. I am stuck with this guy as i don't have any real talent ready to come through in my minor system(Arenado you better start hitting with power) but i wouldn't hesitate trading this guy if his value ever comes close to what it was after a sustained hot streak before he gets injured again.
HighHeater
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 23)

Postby RyeWhiskey » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:41 pm

His value is rock-bottom right now. Speaking as a Zimmerman owner in a keeper league, I'm not shopping him until his value rises enough to merit some sort of substantial return. I'm starting him each day (same goes for J Upton) and hoping that he returns to form. Not much more you can do with such a good player unless your WW is deep enough to provide you with a good 3B fill-in.
RyeWhiskey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers