6/2 Cheering, Venting, & a no-no - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

6/2 Cheering, Venting, & a no-no

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

HOF worthy pitchers

Halladay
27%
Santana
11%
Verlander
20%
Sabathia
16%
Hamels
4%
Lincecum
4%
Felix
12%
Lee
6%
other
1%

Total votes : 108

6/2 Cheering, Venting, & a no-no

Postby kab21 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:45 am

vote for as many guys that you think will be considered HOF'ers when their career is finished. At first glance I think most would pick 0-2 but I think 2-4 is a much more likely distribution of pitchers selected.

Johan's no hitter got me thinking about whether or not he has anything more than a slim shot at the HOF since he appears healthy. Johan has always been miscast as a fireballer because of his K rates. However he's always been successful because of his secondary stuff. Looking back at the last decade (bulk of the career) there is a pretty slim list of pitchers that appear HOF worthy. Certainly there has to be more than 1 or 2 starters elected to the hall that started there careers in the last 12 years.

notes - I left out guys like Strasburg and Kershaw because they haven't played a quarter of their careers yet. I've also left out a bunch of very good pitchers like Haren/Weaver/Greinke/Cain that just didn't strike me as elite guys no matter how much I like to draft them. I also left off RP'ers.

Alishan Railway, Taiwan by abacus07, on Flickr
One of my photos from last week. This isn't exactly fog but more like driving in a cloud between hard rainstorms. This was a popular tourist railway but it is probably closed permanently since derailings (with casualties) occur often (every 3-5 years).

I'll be honest. I have barely been paying attention to baseball for the last couple of weeks.

- I've noticed that the Twins are surging (4-6 in their last 10) and they are still tied for the worst record in the majors with the woeful Cubs and Padres.
- The MLB draft should be happening in a week or two and it really seems wide open with regards to the top picks. Buxton, Appel, Zimmer, Correa and Gausman lead the pack with Giolito as a big wild card (health reasons)
- A lot of big names were just put on the DL or in Pedroia's case are close.
- This year's cinderellas (Baltimore and LAD) have tumbled recently (2-8 and 3-7 in their last ten) but still remain at/near the top.
- All 10 teams are within 3 games of the division lead in the AL/NL East. That could create some exciting baseball later in the season.

I forgot (or never knew) how to make a table but this would better as a table (hint, hint).

Away Home Time Away Starter Home Starter
Boston Toronto 1:07 pm Doubront (5-2) Drabek (4-5)
Oakland Kansas City 2:10 pm McCarthy (3-3) Hochevar (3-5)
Miami Philadelphia 4:05 pm Nolasco (5-3) Hamels (8-1)
Atlanta Washington 4:05 pm Beachy (5-3) Strasburg (5-1)
Baltimore Tampa Bay 4:10 pm Matusz (4-5) Hellickson (4-1)
Seattle Chi. White Sox 4:10 pm Noesi (2-6) Floyd (4-5)
St. Louis N.Y. Mets 4:10 pm Lynn (8-1) Dickey (7-1)
L.A. Dodgers Colorado 4:10 pm Harang (3-3) Nicasio (2-2)
Pittsburgh Milwaukee 7:10 pm Bedard (3-5) Marcum (3-3)
Minnesota Cleveland 7:15 pm Walters (2-1) Tomlin (2-2)
Chi. Cubs San Francisco 7:15 pm Garza (2-3) Cain (5-2)
N.Y. Yankees Detroit 7:15 pm Kuroda (4-6) Porcello (3-4)
Cincinnati Houston 7:15 pm Latos (4-2) Rodriguez (4-4)
Arizona San Diego 7:15 pm Hudson (1-1) Volquez (2-5)
Texas L.A. Angels 10:05 pm Darvish (7-2) Wilson (6-4)
Last edited by kab21 on Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 6/2 Cheering, Venting, & a no-no

Postby Grounded Polo » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:35 am

Firstly, I am still in complete shock that the Mets FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY have a no hitter in the record books. Secondly, Johan is a god. Thirdly, I think he has a pretty fair chance to reach the HOF if he can maintain this elite level for a few more years. He was the best pitcher in baseball for a few years with Minnesota, still been great with the Mets when healthy, now this.

Really can't emphasize how much I love our team this year, JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby kab21 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:37 am

Normally I would wake up and be able to watch Taiwan's 2 favorite teams (the Nats and O's) on the two sports channels with baseball. They are the favorites of course due to Chien-Ming Wang and Wei-Yin Chen. But both of those games are at 4 am here so there might not be a game on until Texas game with Darvish and some basketball earlier.

I'm still sticking with Nicasio despite him getting lit up so far. He has excellent K and BB rates with some heat. I think he is an excellent sleeper pick for the rest of the season.

I also have Garza^3, Darvish, Floyd and Volquez all in one league.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby kab21 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:46 am

Grounded Polo wrote:Firstly, I am still in complete shock that the Mets FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY have a no hitter in the record books. Secondly, Johan is a god. Thirdly, I think he has a pretty fair chance to reach the HOF if he can maintain this elite level for a few more years. He was the best pitcher in baseball for a few years with Minnesota, still been great with the Mets when healthy, now this.

I loved santana with the twins and I wasn't even angry with him when he left because the twins jerked him around at the end and the FO royally screwed up the trade negotiations. I really hope that he has 5+ great seasons and gets some consideration.

on another topic - is 300 wins really impossible now? I would normally say yes but look at CC. 183 wins while looking to be at the top of his game at 31 (soon to be 32). there's a good chance that he's racking up 15-20 wins/yr with the Yankees for the 5 years. All of a sudden you're looking at 260-280 wins at age 37. If he stays healthy (big if) he might be able to get there.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RedHopeful » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:05 am

Grounded Polo wrote:Really can't emphasize how much I love our team this year, JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

Can I have dibs on using this post when they end up breaking your heart later? }:-) ;-)
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Grounded Polo » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:07 pm

Sure but it's not possible when the Mets were expected to win about 70 games and be the second worst team in the NL. It's amazing how they cut 50 million from the payroll and are a much better team than last year anyway. This isn't like when they choked in 2007-08 and had stars all over the diamond like Beltran, Reyes, Delgado, and Wagner in addition to Wright. Those teams had way higher expectations. The vast majority of this team are home grown guys playing much better than expected (excluding Ike of course) or just picked up off the scrap heap.

I read that Jason Bay is starting his minor league rehab assignment today, is it wrong to hope he suffers a endless stream of setbacks and misses the entire season?
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:11 pm

Trotting Latos @HOU today hoping he can find his inner JOHANNNNNNNN :-)
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby SpecialFNK » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:25 pm

Gavin Floyd home to Seattle? start?
White Sox have won 9 in a row.
but Floyd hasn't been doing that well lately. 5 ER in his last game, 9 ER in his game before that.
someone else in my league dropped him after his last start, so I picked him up dropping Xavier Avery.
I'm thinking about sitting him and just seeing if he can turn things around.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby benb18a » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:40 pm

Going for the 10-0 sweep, just need a couple saves and no implosion by Strasburg or Marcum.
1B: Freeman 2B: Craig 3B: Beltre SS: Seager C: Lucroy OF: Granderson, Harper, BJ Up UT: Kipnis, Aoki
BN: Howard, Rizzo, Donaldson
DL: Tulo
Peavy Sale, Valverde, Axford, Greinke, Marcum, Estrada, Capuano, Hughes, Haren

Public Yahoo league 130-67-13 winrar
benb18a
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cream » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:28 pm

Who do you like more today, Hudson @ SD or Floyd v. SEA? Match-ups are favorable, but as previously pointed out Floyd has struggled recently and Hudson is only making his 2nd start.. I'm leaning towards Hudson.
Cream
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 23)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers