MLB is bush league - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

MLB is bush league

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: MLB is bush league

Postby Skin Blues » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:39 am

If this doesn't count as a no-hitter, does Armando Gallaraga officially get a perfect game?
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thedude » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:26 pm

Why are you getting all bent out of shape? It's not like affected the outcome of the game. No hitters are exciting, but I would be much more angry about a missed call which directly affects who wins/loses.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Element » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:50 pm

Cream wrote:
HOOTIE wrote:When is Bud Selig and MLB going to pull their heads out of the sand.
It is a joke what goes on, year after year.
Santana throws a fake no-hitter.
Galarraga throws a perfect game, not.
Plus the countless blown calls that cost ball games.
This is so easy and fixable, there is no good debate.
It is a joke, day in, day out.

It's certainly not the NBA, so for that I'm thankful. Like Beltran said, that one hit wasn't going to impact the game at all. I'm all for using more replay, but I don't consider this to be the straw to break the camels back.

Are you sure about that? Things can happen once runners get on base. Plus, Johan finished with 134 pitches. If another couple guys reach home plate I doubt that the Mets keep him in for a full 9 innings.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 719)

Postby bayside » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:17 am

really, does anyone care?
its the mets/
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Cream » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:57 am

Element wrote:
Cream wrote:
HOOTIE wrote:When is Bud Selig and MLB going to pull their heads out of the sand.
It is a joke what goes on, year after year.
Santana throws a fake no-hitter.
Galarraga throws a perfect game, not.
Plus the countless blown calls that cost ball games.
This is so easy and fixable, there is no good debate.
It is a joke, day in, day out.

It's certainly not the NBA, so for that I'm thankful. Like Beltran said, that one hit wasn't going to impact the game at all. I'm all for using more replay, but I don't consider this to be the straw to break the camels back.

Are you sure about that? Things can happen once runners get on base. Plus, Johan finished with 134 pitches. If another couple guys reach home plate I doubt that the Mets keep him in for a full 9 innings.

Very true, but I still find it hard to believe that if that was a hit it was going to lead to an 8 run swing in the game. I understand it would have impacted the no-no, but it isn't worth getting your panties in a bunch over replay IMO.
Cream
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 23)

Postby Element » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:34 pm

Cream wrote:
Element wrote:
Cream wrote:

Very true, but I still find it hard to believe that if that was a hit it was going to lead to an 8 run swing in the game. I understand it would have impacted the no-no, but it isn't worth getting your panties in a bunch over replay IMO.

I didn't watch the game, but it was my understanding that the game was closer when the Beltran incident happened. It could've been a momentum shift.

Oh ... and I'm not wearing any panties. }:-)
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 719)

Postby bluejkrew » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:30 am

I also don't see any argument for not having replay, and don't understand why its not used for anything but homeruns.

Blown calls are just way too frustrating.

Galarragga had the one good thing about his career taken away from him. Jim Joyce received death threats. Players yelling at umpires and getting fined. And even for Johan, who has to hear from critics that his no-hitter doesn't really count.
bluejkrew
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:12 am

I completely agree with Hoot. The two issues are the abundance of terrible calls this year and the lack of accountability with the umps.

The accountability issue flows from the umpires union. What other sport has refs that go on strike and basically take the refs outside of the league's control? They are not exactly outside of MLB's control but they feel that they are an indespensible part of the game and they act like prima donnas. It's affecting the game.

The bad calls are getting to be too much. Calling lines is easy, they just need umps on the line. Take the guy out from behind the plate, have a computer call balls and strikes and put umps on the lines. Easy.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby Saltydog » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:20 am

Go umpire a high school baseball game, and see how well you do.

In the long term, calls will even out. I'm sure there's going to be a few calls that go against the Mets at some point.

There's only significance brought to the forefront because of it being a no-hitter. Same with Galarraga's "perfect game". If it was a 5-2 game no one would care or notice.
Saltydog
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 143)

Postby Maris09 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:36 pm

grizfan wrote:The problem with more replay is that it slows the game down even more for the casual fan, who doesn't really follow and understand the game, and needs constant action. Over 162 games some will go for you and some will go against you. I think more replay during the playoffs may not be a bad idea though.

That's a generic train of thought that simply isn't true. All of us at home know whether a call is right or wrong in a matter of seconds, there's no reason why that cannot translate into a replay system.

Not to mention, how long does it take for a manager to come out and scream and yell when an obvious blown call is made? A lot longer than it would take for a replay.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers