Time to punt steals? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Time to punt steals?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Time to punt steals?

Postby electricmayhem67 » Thu May 31, 2012 1:44 pm

When is it time to punt a category? 2 months in I'm sitting last in steals in my 8 team standard 5x5 roto league with 26. The guy immediately ahead of me is at 27, then everybody else is in the 45-60 range. At this point is it still worth trying to catch up or should I focus on improving in some of the other categories?
8 team 5x5 roto
C Wieters
1B A.Gonzalez
2B Kipnis
3B M.Cabrera
SS A.Cabrera
OF Bautista/Bruce/J.Upton
UT Heyward/Goldschmidt
SP Kershaw/Hamels/Samardzija/Halladay/Scherzer
RP G.Holland/Wilhelmsen/Reed/Bailey
BN Lawrie/Rutledge/Willingham/Lucroy
electricmayhem67
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Time to punt steals?

Postby Skin Blues » Thu May 31, 2012 2:15 pm

It depends, but I try to keep up in all categories. I'm close to last in steals in one league (which I'm winning by 20 points overall) but I have Austin Jackson & Desmond Jennings on the DL and I just traded for de Aza. I figure 4 months of those three being healthy should move me to the middle of the pack at least. So if you have a couple guys who are injured or started out cold in the steals category, there could be room to improve pretty quickly. Trades are another option. Don't trade away a slothy slugger for 80 cents on the dollar just to land Jordan Schafer or anything, but if you can make an even deal to a team that is loaded in steals then go for it.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 110)

Postby benb18a » Thu May 31, 2012 4:01 pm

I would start a firesale, better to have zero steals and better run production than 1-3 steals and losing that cat every week, then again maybe I'm not the best one to be giving this advice lol. In my first experience with FBS this year, my team started out biting the pillow in steals, so I tried to trade for some speed. Glad I didn't because now Kipnis, De Aza and Upton have woken up and have been giving me 7,9,6 and 7 so far this week for the month, resulting in two wins, a tie and 7-1 lead in that category the last four weeks.

Same thing with saves. When I realized the Tigers and Brewers were going to be mediocre teams this year I wanted to punt saves because I only drafted Ax and Valverde and they simply haven't been getting the job done plus I could get decent value for them with the landscape being the way it is. Then I bumped into Casilla and Downs on the WW and am glad I didn't.
1B: Freeman 2B: Craig 3B: Beltre SS: Seager C: Lucroy OF: Granderson, Harper, BJ Up UT: Kipnis, Aoki
BN: Howard, Rizzo, Donaldson
DL: Tulo
Peavy Sale, Valverde, Axford, Greinke, Marcum, Estrada, Capuano, Hughes, Haren

Public Yahoo league 130-67-13 winrar
benb18a
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Skin Blues » Thu May 31, 2012 4:14 pm

He's talking about roto, not H2H.

Also, mediocre teams often have the most valuable closers.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Padsin05 » Thu May 31, 2012 4:24 pm

I wouldnt, look for a guy like Rajai Davis on the wire, stream a Q-Berry while Jackson is out, try to deal for Gardner. Steals are one of the easiest stats to acquire (2nd to saves imo) during the year. I always draft for power, and try to get a nice lead (which worked this year) I then shopped Hosmer and got Papelbon and Gardner (I have Encarnacion, Lahair, Laroche, Freeman, Adams) occupying the same positional capability and could shop the bigger name. Thankfully this deal started as E5 for Papelbon and Gardner but he declined.

other potential SB guys out there
Everth Cabrera, Will Venable
Gregor Blanco
Xavier Avery
Geraldo Parra in daily leagues where you have nice sized rosters
Anthony Gwynn while Kemp is out, hitting leadoff
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 12)

Postby electricmayhem67 » Thu May 31, 2012 4:45 pm

Thanks guys

Yeah I picked up Trout when he came up and am trying to work something out in a trade for Elvis Andrus. Gonna stick with it a little longer.

Just talking general strategy though, how long should you wait/how far behind do you have to be to declare a category hopeless and move on looking to improve elsewhere?
8 team 5x5 roto
C Wieters
1B A.Gonzalez
2B Kipnis
3B M.Cabrera
SS A.Cabrera
OF Bautista/Bruce/J.Upton
UT Heyward/Goldschmidt
SP Kershaw/Hamels/Samardzija/Halladay/Scherzer
RP G.Holland/Wilhelmsen/Reed/Bailey
BN Lawrie/Rutledge/Willingham/Lucroy
electricmayhem67
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Tavish » Thu May 31, 2012 4:55 pm

electricmayhem67 wrote:Thanks guys

Yeah I picked up Trout when he came up and am trying to work something out in a trade for Elvis Andrus. Gonna stick with it a little longer.

Just talking general strategy though, how long should you wait/how far behind do you have to be to declare a category hopeless and move on looking to improve elsewhere?

It all depends on how much you stand to gain. If you are only 1 steal behind 7th but 30+ behind 6th, then I would definitely think about punting it completely.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 24)

Postby Skin Blues » Thu May 31, 2012 5:05 pm

Depends on too many things to give a general statement that would be useful. How crowded is the bottom of the SB category (lots of guys within reach, or only one or two?), what do you project your current team to produce for the rest of the season, how much of the season remains, who is available on waivers, who can you trade for, do you have an active roster spot open that you can plug a speed-only waiver wire fodder into or are you stacked already at OF/UTIL, can you divest in steals by trading one big SB threat or do you have a bunch of guys projected for 15 SBs which are hard to liquidate, etc etc. So many variables. In general you should try to compete in every category at least until the end of July unless things are really out of hand, but there's no hard and fast rule. For each category ideally you want to be just ahead of the large cluster of teams. So if there's two guys that are destroying the league in SB then only try to get ahead of the third place team. Kind of a SGP strategy, on a micro level.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

Postby benb18a » Thu May 31, 2012 5:21 pm

If you add a little bit via FA/WW, you run the risk of hurting your team a little overall only for a marginal increase in wins against the 7th place dude, and by a bit if you plan on grabbing all of the legit stealers to compete with the middle of the pack. Another option (although mostly for 12+ team leagues) now that Hart is pretty much locked in at 1B is Carlos Gomez. Also, Aoki will get a bit of steals and runs in front of Braun and apparently hit for a very nice average now that he's warmed up to the MLB. It all depends on if you can afford to roster a guy that will platoon, though. Another guy who is likely available is Campana, who has 15 swipes already but outside of hitting around .300 wouldn't give you much else.

I'd wait a while with Gomez though, he has been cautious since pulling the hammy. Also, he could be tricky as a lot of his steals come from 9th inning pinch running situations. Given your situation and league depth I would say punting saves would be the best bet.
1B: Freeman 2B: Craig 3B: Beltre SS: Seager C: Lucroy OF: Granderson, Harper, BJ Up UT: Kipnis, Aoki
BN: Howard, Rizzo, Donaldson
DL: Tulo
Peavy Sale, Valverde, Axford, Greinke, Marcum, Estrada, Capuano, Hughes, Haren

Public Yahoo league 130-67-13 winrar
benb18a
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Element » Thu May 31, 2012 5:48 pm

Tavish wrote:
electricmayhem67 wrote:Thanks guys

It all depends on how much you stand to gain. If you are only 1 steal behind 7th but 30+ behind 6th, then I would definitely think about punting it completely.

Yup. Not to mention, by adding someone like Rajai Davis you'd likely be hurting yourself in other areas (HR, RBI). If you could afford to add a speed only player and start him on most days I would give it another month to see how much ground you can make up. I may even pick up another speedster that could be playing on a Monday/Thursday (off days) and stream a roster spot. When it comes to steals in general though, I am ok with finishing middle of the pack as long as I am strong in the other categories.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 632)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers