Dayan Viciedo - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dayan Viciedo

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Dayan Viciedo

Postby Thursday » Tue May 29, 2012 10:31 pm

Dude hit his 11th dinger tonight. 23 years old, is he discovering the power stroke now, or is this simply a hot streak?
Thursday
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Dayan Viciedo

Postby wazzeus » Wed May 30, 2012 1:46 am

His power stroke has never been in question. His plate discipline has been. But Vlad Guerrero in his heyday was pretty good without plate discipline, too.

Sure it's a hot streak, and a slugger like Viciedo will have his slumps, but when it's all said and done he should finish the season with 30 homers, 80-90 RBI and, well, a .250 batting average at best.

I've been watching his at-bats for the past three weeks and he has excellent plate coverage. He hits breaking pitches just as well as he does fastballs. He's developing into a true threat before our eyes.

If he ever walks even a third as much as he strikes out, he's going to be an absolute menace.
wazzeus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby sebby » Wed May 30, 2012 3:41 pm

The guy is as strong as a bull and has a pretty compact swing, so the power will always be legit. He's probably a better version of '09-'11 Carlos Quentin -- better average, more power, but weaker plate discipline (Viciedo certainly proves that you don't leave Cuba by walking :-D).
sebby
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Element » Wed May 30, 2012 9:22 pm

wazzeus wrote:I've been watching his at-bats for the past three weeks and he has excellent plate coverage. He hits breaking pitches just as well as he does fastballs. He's developing into a true threat before our eyes.

I agree with this. I've seen a bunch of his at bats lately. On top of his great plate coverage, he is showing power to RF. I don't own him anywhere, but I wish that I did.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 761)

Postby footballisbetter.com » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:16 am

Where would we project him for the rest of the season? I'm wondering whay players he would be around in rankings.
footballisbetter.com
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 95)

Postby Skin Blues » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:35 pm

I had him and Reddick as my late OF fliers in all my leagues and unfortunately I wasn't patient enough with Dayan and dropped him on a couple teams. I don't see any reason he can't hit .275 with 25 HRs. As with most all-hit/no-field guys like this, playing time is the determining factor. Seems he's going to get his playing time so the production should follow nicely.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 134)

Postby MaudDib » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:02 pm

Will be interesting to watch. He has the power but he has strikes out a ton with no walks. So does he become a Vlad/Dunn type player or does go the Chris Davis route. No one questions that Davis has huge power but pitchers figured him out.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:16 pm

MaudDib wrote:Will be interesting to watch. He has the power but he has strikes out a ton with no walks. So does he become a Vlad/Dunn type player or does go the Chris Davis route. No one questions that Davis has huge power but pitchers figured him out.
Dunn's incredible batting eye is one of the things that makes him so valuable.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby ensanimal » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:51 pm

Watching him a little more closely the past 2 nights against the Jays. Man is his swing violent. If only he could make more contact.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 113)

Postby Ender » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:02 am

Pretty much their entire offense outside of Ramirez are playing way over their heads so I'd assume they have just had good matchups. He is a viable OF in most leagues but he is still low end.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers