Oswalt to Texas - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Oswalt to Texas

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Oswalt to Texas

Postby Ender » Wed May 30, 2012 8:50 am

Certainly true. He should be owned in pretty much every league but I don't have super high expectations. In my H2H league he'd be a depth guy who I start in his 2 start weeks, on the road or against the cruddier offenses at home so like 75% of weeks. In my daily roto league I'd use him most of the time as well but protect him on bad matchups like say Ted Lilly who is on that team. On my weekly H2H league which is 16 teams I'd pick him up and just hope for the best since it has no bench so you can't not start him. Unfortunately all of my leagues are pretty deep and he is already owned in all of them and has been most of the season now.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Oswalt to Texas

Postby lastingsgriller » Wed May 30, 2012 11:10 am

bayside wrote:
lastingsgriller wrote:
bayside wrote:This is nothing like stashing away Harper, Trout, or Bauer earlier in the season.

Limited upside? In his last full season (2010) he had a 2.73 era, 1.03 whip, and 193 k's. If you think Trevor Bauer has that kind of upside for this year, you're out of your gord. The upside here is cy young caliber pitcher.

Not saying I expect numbers that good, but I'd your gonna talk about upside, he has recently proven he can be that good.

im assuming keeper league here... Oswalt is not even in the keeper conversation.
and if you really think his upside is what he did in Philly, prepare to be disappointed. his "upside" is mid 3's era, 7k/9, and a decent amount of wins. hes not having a career year in Texas after taking the first few months off.

I dont think its out of the question at all for Bauer to post better fantasy numbers than Oswalt, if they both begin their MLB seasons at roughly the same time.
And long term, I dont think anyone believes its even close.

Obviously we're talking about the rest of this season.

I guess I just don't see why it is so inconceivable for him to put up similar numbers to what he did just two seasons ago. Clearly his back hindered him last year. But if his back is fine, what is the logic behind the suggestion that he won't return to ace form? Especially when he only has to do it for 3 months.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 181)

Oswalt to Texas

Postby lastingsgriller » Wed May 30, 2012 11:14 am

Also, I'm not saying that Bauer has no chance of putting up better numbers than Oswalt. I'm saying Bauer has no chance of putting up better numbers than Oswalt did in 2010. There is a good chance that Bauer will never put up numbers that good.

If I have to guess on which player has a chance to put up those kind of numbers this year, I'm gonna go with the guy that has done it before.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 181)

Postby Cards07Champs » Wed May 30, 2012 1:19 pm

Also worth noting is that Roy has established something of a history as a 2nd half pitcher.

Many of those Astros runs of the early/mid 2000s were fueled in large part by Roy strapping on the yoke and being a freakin' horse for 2 months.

So the question to consider is whether or not you believe it was a matter of Roy getting into form from April through July, or if it was just that he knew how to pace himself to blow it out in the 2nd half.

Oswalt's always been an extremely smart pitcher. I really don't think it's a matter of him having to feel his way back into form for 3 months, especially since that first half is by no means bad. I think he's just a guy that knows how to save himself for a finishing kick.

That's why I grabbed him in both leagues. I think there's a good chance that Oswalt will go out there knowing that he's just going to fire bullets for 3 months and he's going to try to use every drop in the tank. And while everyone's going to point to the heat of Arlington and how it will impact him (oversold; he's a GB pitcher), that heat will also come in quite handy when he's trying to keep his back from acting up on him. There's nothing worse than trying to throw in cold weather.

It may take him part of July to figure it out, but if I can get a top 30 starter through the August and September charge only for the cost of a roster spot through the summer doldrums, I'm sold.
Cards07Champs
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Wed May 30, 2012 1:58 pm

Cards07Champs wrote:I think there's a good chance that Oswalt will go out there knowing that he's just going to fire bullets for 3 months and he's going to try to use every drop in the tank.

I guess he wants to save some of those bullets for the World Series :-D
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby benb18a » Wed May 30, 2012 9:29 pm

Survivor 2012 - Holland just threw his hat into the ring along with Feliz and Feldman?
1B: Freeman 2B: Craig 3B: Beltre SS: Seager C: Lucroy OF: Granderson, Harper, BJ Up UT: Kipnis, Aoki
BN: Howard, Rizzo, Donaldson
DL: Tulo
Peavy Sale, Valverde, Axford, Greinke, Marcum, Estrada, Capuano, Hughes, Haren

Public Yahoo league 130-67-13 winrar
benb18a
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed May 30, 2012 10:52 pm

if he was more of a 2nd half pitcher in the past, does that mean this year if his 1st start comes in July it will really be April for him? since it will just be the beginning of his season.
maybe someone can explain to me more the effect of a shortened season. if he only pitches from say July on does that really make him a better pitcher than if he was to pitch an entire season?
even if he has stayed in shape through the off season and into this season, and whatever his timetable would be for what his "spring training" would be, can he really be expected to be at his previous level? he still hasn't pitched in an actual game since the end of 2011.
I'm not rooting against him, I just don't believe he is going to an "ace". I think he can be above average to good.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 98)

Postby jfg » Wed May 30, 2012 11:09 pm

He doesn't have to pace himself for the long season and he has a better chance of staying healthy. Clemens did this too but he was 10 years older and it worked out pretty well in Houston not so much in New York. Roy Oswalt isn't Roger Clemens, but going into a season knowing you are pitching around 100 innings rather than 200 is a pretty big deal.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 97)

Postby SpecialFNK » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:34 pm

Oswalt to the bullpen.
The Rangers have moved Roy Oswalt to the bullpen.
Oswalt was shelled for eight runs across 5 1/3 innings Monday in a loss to the Angels and owns a 6.49 overall ERA this season. If he fails in a long relief role, the Rangers will have no choice but to cut ties.

6 total starts. 1 bad start with 5 ER. 2 really bad starts with 8 ER and 9 ER (11 total). but also 3 good starts with 1 ER each.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 98)

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:41 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:Oswalt to the bullpen.
The Rangers have moved Roy Oswalt to the bullpen.
Oswalt was shelled for eight runs across 5 1/3 innings Monday in a loss to the Angels and owns a 6.49 overall ERA this season. If he fails in a long relief role, the Rangers will have no choice but to cut ties.

6 total starts. 1 bad start with 5 ER. 2 really bad starts with 8 ER and 9 ER (11 total). but also 3 good starts with 1 ER each.
May see Ogando moved back into the rotation, or Feldman stay there with how well he's pitched lately. They're in a tough spot with Lewis out for the year and Neftali as well, Dempster or no Dempster.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 388)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers